Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
To get your CX Record Locator, call AA.

FAQ Page from Cathay website: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-requests.html

Info from the site (as of 15 June):

Who is eligible to request a seat?
The following customers can request a seat in advance

- Members of The Marco Polo Club (Silver tier or above) and oneworld Ruby tier members or above
- All First and Business Class passengers
- Customers holding tickets on eligible fare types – Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, W, R, E, T

Customers requiring special services cannot request a seat online. Please raise your request at the time of booking.
How do I request my seat?
You can request your seat at Manage Booking.

Simply log in and select “Service Requests” > “Seat”. You can select your preferred seat on the interactive seat map. Your request will be processed and confirmed immediately.
When can I request my seat?
You can request your seat via Manage Booking anytime up to 55 hours prior to flight departure. If you want to request your seat afterwards, you can only do so via Online Check-In.
Print Wikipost

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I booked 3 coach seats international and one is for 16 month. I went to manage my booking but don't see options for seats yet.

Anyway to select seat? They are closed for weekend.
You should be able to select seats at the CX web site if you have OneWorld status (AA gold or above). Some folks also have success at the QR web site (using the CX record locator)

DAK
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
Some folks also have success at the QR web site (using the CX record locator)
I selected seats on a non-eligible fare using QR and they now show up on the CX website as selected but "On Request". What's the likelihood that they stick? They're not showing as occupied on the seat map.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
You should be able to select seats at the CX web site if you have OneWorld status (AA gold or above). Some folks also have success at the QR web site (using the CX record locator)

DAK
I think I was able to change my seat on 1 out of 2 flights with QR. Not sure it will stick, but at the moment it appears to be.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:00 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Wow - realised out outdated the "mod note" in the first post was!

I'll take a quick stab at creating a thread wiki, but would certainly appreciate input/edits from others who have more experience and helpful hints.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm planning on flying an AA codeshare operated by CX in the future. I'm AA plat, but I have a friend who will be flying as well without status. If I book both of our tickets, can I reserve seats for both of us?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by snorLAX
I'm planning on flying an AA codeshare operated by CX in the future. I'm AA plat, but I have a friend who will be flying as well without status. If I book both of our tickets, can I reserve seats for both of us?
If you are both on the same PNR then your OneWorld status benefits extend to the other passenger(s) on the same PNR.

DAK
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
If you are both on the same PNR then your OneWorld status benefits extend to the other passenger(s) on the same PNR.

DAK
This is correct as per CX guidelines, but I've had experience where the website and app just refuse to let the companion select a seat. A call to CX or going to the check-in counter will resolve this.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
I've booked a CX flight pair (ORD-HKG-MNL) in J using AA award points, for next April. Booking was done by phone with AA. Is there a time window when they open up the ability to do seat selection? (No status anywhere on AA nor CX.)
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I've booked a CX flight pair (ORD-HKG-MNL) in J using AA award points, for next April. Booking was done by phone with AA. Is there a time window when they open up the ability to do seat selection? (No status anywhere on AA nor CX.)
Usually they can book it for you right away. If they cannot, get the CX reservation number and you can do it yourself on the CX site. I'm not sure if you have to wait for it to be ticketed in order to do this but I don't think that is the case.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:13 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by starbuk
Usually they can book it for you right away. If they cannot, get the CX reservation number and you can do it yourself on the CX site. I'm not sure if you have to wait for it to be ticketed in order to do this but I don't think that is the case.
it has to be ticketed before you can select a seat on CX.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:40 am

Seat selection First

Does anyone know why CX always blocks seats 2A and 2K in First Class, you cannot even reserve them when you have a multi-thousand Euro paid ticket
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by RobbertS
Does anyone know why CX always blocks seats 2A and 2K in First Class, you cannot even reserve them when you have a multi-thousand Euro paid ticket
Bassinet. Call CX.

Last edited by zznoname; Oct 23, 2015 at 7:57 am
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by snorLAX
One example:

With EXP, Emerald, OW status, if you're flying F/J, USA - HKG, and connecting Dragon Air (KA) on a coach only flight. Both of you can select business seats, but even though you're on the same itinerary, only the EXP can select the bulkhead seats (row 22) http://www.dragonair.com/ka/en_BD/tr...00-type-2.html
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zznoname
Bassinet. Call CX.
Data point. It appears that within 48 hours to departure (could be even earlier than that), AA can assign 2A/2K as well.

Made a last minute flight change and AAgent offered 2A/2K which was confirmed on CX website.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:33 pm

In my experience they block 1k & 2k. Sometimes when the other seats get taken you could get them. Several years ago you could call CX in the us and get the seat if you promised to give it up if they needed the basinet, which in my experience never happens. It has been a year since I flew cx F so ymmv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.