Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
We need more info to help. What non-hub cities that have non-stop flights from Europe did you try? Remember that free stopovers are only allowed in the international gateway, which means the first place in the US that you enter from Europe.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: All of 'em
I see. I thought the free stopover was good for ANY airport that has AA service. On the bright side, I notice it now includes USAir gateways as well.

Last edited by MileageManager; Feb 1, 2014 at 1:54 pm
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Remember that free stopovers are only allowed in the international gateway, which means the first place in the US that you enter from Europe."

Unless you are on a direct (through) flight that continues on to another North American city after the airport of entry. In that case, either city can be the "gateway."

As an example, I think AA used to have a NRT-ORD-BOS flight with a single flight number, so from that flight, one could have a free stopover at either ORD or BOS.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by MileageManager
I see. I thought the free stopover was good for ANY airport that has AA service. On the bright side, I notice it now includes USAir gateways as well.
Nope. It must be the North American "gateway."

Note that it is not necessary to fly AA at all to get the free gateway stopover on an AAdvantage award. SCL-JFK on LAN, followed by JFK-YVR on CX months later will also price as a single award.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

Note that it is not necessary to fly AA at all to get the free gateway stopover on an AAdvantage award. SCL-JFK on LAN, followed by JFK-YVR on CX months later will also price as a single award.
Hmm, interesting route! Will try that off-peak.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, interesting route! Will try that off-peak.
It will be much better in Business, if you can spare the 50K miles.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
It can also be a city served by BA, AB or IB. At what city do you wish to have a stopover?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPG3392
It can also be a city served by BA, AB or IB. At what city do you wish to have a stopover?
It can also be a city served by TN or 9W.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:35 am

It can also be a city served by TN or 9W.

I love this idea as technically, it's giving you a free one-way on a later date. Was going to use PSP (where I live) as the stopover, but seems I'm forced to use LAX instead.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Are they?

I want to get Europe-USA1-USA2 for 20K total and trying a non-hub city as "1" and always getting a 12.5K req to continue on to "2". But if I assign MIA or LAX as "1", then I get the wonderful "--" req.

I'm not an AA expert so this is all new to me still. Tips most welcome!
As AAdvantage is still operating as a distinct programme, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
I love this idea as technically, it's giving you a free one-way on a later date. Was going to use PSP (where I live) as the stopover, but seems I'm forced to use LAX instead.
LAX is closest for PSP (where I live too). I used this strategy on a return from SIN. Routing on CX was SIN-HKG-LAX stop. A few weeks later I went AA LAX-JFK-YYZ. Then returned on a paid one way ticket.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:02 pm
Suspended

How much less was that one way fare versus a roundtrip?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Return fare was a little more than half of RT. Maybe due to higher tax and fees exiting Canada. Should note award was in F while paid ticket was Econ that I UG'd.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:56 pm

Is there a cap on the "months later"? How long can one stretch the freebie?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a cap on the "months later"? How long can one stretch the freebie?
You have one year from the date of original ticketing to complete all travel on the award, regardless of when the first leg of the award is flown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.