Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
The two situations are different, since you have already booked one award.

1) As far as the FRA-DFW flight is concerned, a stopover at DFW would be possible as long as your flight to MCO takes place within a year of when you booked award travel. Since you are changing destinations, however, there is likely to be a charge.

2) As far as the second situation is concerned, if MCO-DFW-LHR-IST shows as a legitimate routing, you would be able to book a stopover at DFW. You can also later change the dates for DFW-IST at no charge. Two issues, however: a) all travel must be completed within a year of booking, so you could extend beyond January 7, 2015, but not as far as summer 2015 if you book this month; b) if some of your flights are on BA, you may face exorbitant fees; these can be avoided if you are able to use other partner airlines, such as AB (via Dusseldorf or Berlin) or IB (via Madrid).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Thanks JPG3392...

The FRA-DFW ticket was booked December 30, 2013 and is an Anytime First Class Award which if I read right there should be no charge for changing Origin or destination and travel to MCO would be within one year of original booking.

With respect to my second proposed award I was afraid that all travel would have to be done within one year of original booking date. You raise great questions regarding BA as far as their surcharges but raised another question for me regarding how easy is it to change date with partner airline.....I've never had a problem on AA metal......

I may just have to think a little more about booking that ticket as far as timing of booking and maybe be a little clearer on the DFW-IST segment dates....may have to wait til July/August and hope I can get MCO segment.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
As this pertains to the pre-merger American Airlines operation, it is being moved to that forum and in the appropriate existing thread.

As noted in the Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, questions and information pertaining to the existing AA or US operations should go in those forums as it will be quite some time before the two entities operate as a single airline.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Moderator

Last edited by miamigrad; Feb 10, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Thank you for moving this to its proper place....however once I closed this link it took me hours to find it again which is probably why I could not find it easily in the first place

I now have it bookmarked
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by nalismom
Thank you for moving this to its proper place....however once I closed this link it took me hours to find it again which is probably why I could not find it easily in the first place

I now have it bookmarked
You may want to edit your options on your control panel so that you automatically are subscribed to threads when you post on them. Then, every time someone responds to it, you may (choose to) get an email and a list of threads subscribed to appears under "My Flyer Talk."
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:11 am
Original Member

Two awards for PVG-NRT-PPT?

Hello all
I just tried to redeem miles for PVG to NRT on Japan Airlines connecting in NRT to PPT on Air Tahiti Nui - both flights in Business Class with no stopover in NRT. I was told this would be two awards Asia Zone 2 to Asia Zone 1 and Asia Zone 1 to South Pacific. Is this correct? I thought it would be the higher of the two Asia zones to South Pacific awards? I was quoted 75,000 miles one way. Thanks for any and all help!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by leroy11
I just tried to redeem miles for PVG to NRT on Japan Airlines connecting in NRT to PPT on Air Tahiti Nui - both flights in Business Class with no stopover in NRT. I was told this would be two awards Asia Zone 2 to Asia Zone 1 and Asia Zone 1 to South Pacific. Is this correct? I thought it would be the higher of the two Asia zones to South Pacific awards? I was quoted 75,000 miles one way. Thanks for any and all help!
As AAdvantage is still operating as a distinct programme, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I was told this would be two awards Asia Zone 2 to Asia Zone 1 and Asia Zone 1 to South Pacific. Is this correct?
AAdvantage generally prohibits award routings via a 3rd region on a single award. Exceptions are noted in the first post of this sticky thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-archived.html

I thought it would be the higher of the two Asia zones to South Pacific awards?
I don't why why you would think that. The current AA award framework of one-way awards has been pretty stable for some years.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:31 pm
Original Member

Thanks for the clarification 3cforme - much appreciated.

Glad to hear I was given the correct information. Obviously China - PPT is a pretty unique route and not the easiest two places to get between.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:53 am

Tell me, please.
What is the max. time considered as a "connection" (not stopover) according to the Aadvantage rules if the route is implemented within Europe or within Asia: 4, 6 or 24 hours?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
The connection must be less than 24 hours i.e.23h 59min is acceptable. This can give you a quite reasonable overnight stay if timetables permit.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Maria Lyashkova
Tell me, please.
What is the max. time considered as a "connection" (not stopover) according to the Aadvantage rules if the route is implemented within Europe or within Asia: 4, 6 or 24 hours?
Originally Posted by grussellt
The connection must be less than 24 hours i.e.23h 59min is acceptable. This can give you a quite reasonable overnight stay if timetables permit.
These posts have been moved to this thread from another which had a similar topic. To avoid duplication of topics, the other thread has been closed so this can act as the consolidated home.

~Moderator
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by grussellt
Are you sure it's not just greater than 24 hours?

I had an AA booking that had me into LHR (from ORD) at 10am and out of LGW to continental Europe at 10am the next day - it was ticketed as a transit.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
I have seen the stopover allowance quoted as "not more than 24hr" so it's always worth a try taking the onward flight out the next day. Mind you the bus trip from LHR to LGW might eventually take that long. I once had a trip of 3h 35min but the record then (2012) was 4h 15min.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:35 pm
Suspended

it's "if the connection exceeds 24 hours."

So, up to, and including, a 24 hour connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.