Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Gateway stop is not a trick. It's specifically and clearly stated in the rules that AA publishes right on their web page (unlike other finicky rules on routing).

All you need is that you enter the US in EWR to stop in EWR. So in your example, you are allowed a stopover in EWR.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Gateway stop is not a trick. It's specifically and clearly stated in the rules that AA publishes right on their web page (unlike other finicky rules on routing).

All you need is that you enter the US in EWR to stop in EWR. So in your example, you are allowed a stopover in EWR.

In HKG, you are only allowed a connection, not a stopover.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:58 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gateway = the exit or entry point in North America.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Joe Butch
When trying to get a free ticket using the North America gateway "trick" does the international part have to be non-stop?

In other words would the following be ok?

HAN > HKG (3 hour layover) > EWR (2 month layover) > MIA

Or would the layover in Hong Kong makes it not allowed?
As this question relates directly to the stopover rule for award travel (as mentioned upthread, not a trick), I've merged it into the thread dedicated to that topic.

~Moderator
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold
Thanks for the information.

FWIW I put trick in quotes because I know it is legit but not many people know about it and it is a way to get a "free" trip to Hawaii.

Last time I used it I booked HNL > LAX > MIA (6 months layover) > CUZ for a cheaper amount of miles than it would have cost me to book HNL > MIA. I think using "trick" is fair game here.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Joe Butch
When trying to get a free ticket using the North America gateway "trick" does the international part have to be non-stop?

In other words would the following be ok?

HAN > HKG (3 hour layover) > EWR (2 month layover) > MIA

Or would the layover in Hong Kong makes it not allowed?
I think layover is allowed in HKG but you might not be able to get to MIA due to total mileage restrictions. I was not able to add MIA leg for HGH-HKG-JFK-MIA.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
Changing the Date of the Continued Flight after Stopover?

I am sure this has been addressed at some point.

Does AA permit you to change the continued travel dates during the stopover after the initial flights have commenced?

Example: January 20 - HNL - LAX - stopover - March 15 - LAX - LHR

Are you able to change the dates of the LAX - LHR after travel from HNL - LAX has commenced? Also, what if the date was changed from Economy Off-Peak to Regular Economy and required additional miles?

Thanks.

David
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by go4bal

Does AA permit you to change the continued travel dates during the stopover after the initial flights have commenced?

Are you able to change the dates of the LAX - LHR after travel from HNL - LAX has commenced? Also, what if the date was changed from Economy Off-Peak to Regular Economy and required additional miles?

Thanks.

David
I think you can change it, but it will have to be a non-stop flight and you won't have to pay additional miles.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver

Thanks.

David

I also wonder if there is a limit to the amount of time of the stopover. I believe that one can book 330 day in advance. Is that the maximum between the first flight stopover and continuation flight? Also If I book the first flight 100 days in advance and the second segment 200 days after the first segment, can I later change the second segment another 100 days later?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Thanks.

David

I also wonder if there is a limit to the amount of time of the stopover. I believe that one can book 330 day in advance. Is that the maximum between the first flight stopover and continuation flight? Also If I book the first flight 100 days in advance and the second segment 200 days after the first segment, can I later change the second segment another 100 days later?
On an AAdvantage award ticket, all travel must be completed within one year of original ticketing date, regardless of when travel on the award commences.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
Does anyone know if I would be able to fly MNL-HKG-JFK (stopover) and then fly to SFO several months later? Basically I'm trying to use my free stopover at JFK and fly one way to either CUN, MIA or SFO. Preferrably SFO, but can do CUN or MIA as well. Not sure if this is over mpm or not.

Also, if I'm flying F, and F is not available for the JFK-SFO (or JFK-MIA/CUN), can I book a lower class of service and change later when it's available?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Did you ask AA?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elbombo
Does anyone know if I would be able to fly MNL-HKG-JFK (stopover) and then fly to SFO several months later? Basically I'm trying to use my free stopover at JFK and fly one way to either CUN, MIA or SFO. Preferrably SFO, but can do CUN or MIA as well. Not sure if this is over mpm or not.
You cannot fly MNL -> HKG (CX) -> JFK (CX) -> SFO (AA) because CX's published through fare for MNL -> SFO has a maximum permitted mileage (MPM) of 8,412. The mileage of your desired routing is 11,368, which exceeds 125 percent of MPM.

CX does not publish a MNL -> CUN through fare.

Originally Posted by elbombo
Also, if I'm flying F, and F is not available for the JFK-SFO (or JFK-MIA/CUN), can I book a lower class of service and change later when it's available?
Yes.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: All of 'em
AAdvantage FREE stopovers limited to hubs/mini-hubs?

Are they?

I want to get Europe-USA1-USA2 for 20K total and trying a non-hub city as "1" and always getting a 12.5K req to continue on to "2". But if I assign MIA or LAX as "1", then I get the wonderful "--" req.

I'm not an AA expert so this is all new to me still. Tips most welcome!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The key phrase is 'North American gateway'. Check out the awards sticky thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ld-awards.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.