Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You have one year from the date of original ticketing to complete all travel on the award, regardless of when the first leg of the award is flown.
That is insanely generous. Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:44 pm
Formerly damitssam

I can't seem to find any information on this. I am planning to do a one way Europe to Asia in F class, but can't find any segment limits. All I see is 25% above point to point. So I would like to do a nice 23 hour hopper all around Europe before reaching my destination.

I know united has a 4 segment limit, but can't find any info. Are crazy routings, ie 10 segments with 6 with 23 hour layovers legal intraeurope? Would be great to get some sight seeing done.

Edit: so it seems there needs to be a published route allowed from one destination to another, correct? so no for example LON-AMS-CPH-OSL-FRA-HKG?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:01 pm
Suspended

There needs to be a published through fare allowing your routing.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:10 pm
Formerly damitssam

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
There needs to be a published through fare allowing your routing.

Can you please explain what a published through fare? For example: OSL-KUL is published on malaysian. So can I route OSL-MAD-FRA-CPH-KUL since the point to point has a price? Or must I use the shortest route.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:43 pm
Suspended

A through fare is an unconstructed fare. The fare has to be between origin and destination. The fare has to allow the connections/stopover you want.

You can call AA to see if your routing would be allowed. But no AA partner serves FRA -> CPH. You could try DUS instead of FRA.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Feb 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by damitssam
Can you please explain what a published through fare? For example: OSL-KUL is published on malaysian. So can I route OSL-MAD-FRA-CPH-KUL since the point to point has a price? Or must I use the shortest route.
Here's ExpertFlyer on the fare rule YLFXOWNO, the cheapest one-way booking into Y.

PUBLISHED RTG OSL-KUL/MH2112/TAR-EURG EF-03MAY12 DIS-INDEF

/WITHIN THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE/
DOM ROUTE VALIDATION APPLIES WITHIN ORIG/DEST COUNTRIES
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. OSL-MH/KL-AMS-KUL
2. OSL-MH/BA-LON-KUL
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:23 am

I have a question on date changes. Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

I booked a MileSaver award HNL-DFW // DFW-NRT.

HNL-DFW --- March 2014
DFW-NRT (non-stop on AA) --- December 2014.

DFW is not my home airport. I have already purchased a revenue ticket from DFW to back home in BDL for March.

Now I want to change the DFW-NRT date to mid-December. Here is the problem - there are no award availability on the non-stop DFW-NRT flight for that date. I can route through ORD or LAX. However, it will price out as two awards since I am breaking the stopover rules. Per rules, I should be taking my stopover in ORD or LAX.

To get around this issue, should I attempt the date/routing change AFTER I fly HNL-DFW? At that point would it look like I am simply trying to change a DFW-NRT to DFW-LAX-NRT and price out as one award?

Thank you!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by yellowfish
I have a question on date changes. Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

HNL-DFW --- March 2014

DFW is not my home airport. I have already purchased a revenue ticket from DFW to back home in BDL for March.

Now I want to change the DFW-NRT date to mid-December. Here is the problem - there are no award availability on the non-stop DFW-NRT flight for that date. I can route through ORD or LAX. However, it will price out as two awards since I am breaking the stopover rules. Per rules, I should be taking my stopover in ORD or LAX.

To get around this issue, should I attempt the date/routing change AFTER I fly HNL-DFW? At that point would it look like I am simply trying to change a DFW-NRT to DFW-LAX-NRT and price out as one award?

Thank you!
That won't work. After you flown that HNL-DFW flight, AA will decline to make the change for you to DFW-LAX-NRT, since you would be in violation of the stopover rule.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by ckpeter
That won't work. After you flown that HNL-DFW flight, AA will decline to make the change for you to DFW-LAX-NRT, since you would be in violation of the stopover rule.
Thank you.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
I can't seem to find any information on this. I am planning to do a one way Europe to Asia in F class, but can't find any segment limits. All I see is 25% above point to point. So I would like to do a nice 23 hour hopper all around Europe before reaching my destination.

I know united has a 4 segment limit, but can't find any info. Are crazy routings, ie 10 segments with 6 with 23 hour layovers legal intraeurope? Would be great to get some sight seeing done.

Edit: so it seems there needs to be a published route allowed from one destination to another, correct? so no for example LON-AMS-CPH-OSL-FRA-HKG?
I could be wrong here, but what I think others are saying is you ultimately want to go LON-HKG. An award ticket must have a published fare LON-XXX-HKG, with XXX being *all* the stop overs you mentioned. No one has a published fare with 4 stopovers intra-Europe, so it looks like you'd have to do something more akin to a RTW ticket to get in all the segments you want, or maybe there are different types of OW awards that would accommodate what it is you're trying to accomplish. I'd say it was worth taking a look at the oneworld allicance home page and seeing if you could construct an itinerary there and price it out with miles.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by yellowfish

HNL-DFW --- March 2014

Thank you!
keep monitoring the award availability ... you are 9-10 months away, so things could (and probably will) change between now and departure date.

expert flyer (paid subscription) could possibly set an alert for you and email you the non-stop award availability, but it is $10/month or so. could be worth it since you already bought the revenue DFW-BDL ticket!

ETA: another thought is to snag a Y award, if available, on your new dates and just monitor for J or F award availability, then change when it becomes available. assuming you are looking for J/F ... but could be wrong.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by btwayland
I'd say it was worth taking a look at the oneworld allicance home page and seeing if you could construct an itinerary there and price it out with miles.
That page is not going to help price an Explorer award using AA miles. Nor a "oneworld and other airline" award using those miles.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: All of 'em

Some of my crazy segs on AA:
BCN-JFK-CVG-MIA-EWR-DFW-SFO + SFO-PSP on AS = 6-7 segs
PSP-DFW-MIA-LIM-MIA-DFW-OMA = 6 segs
PSP-ORD-DFW-BOG-MIA-DFW-OMA = 6 segs

My dream of course, is to squeeze in more.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileageManager
Some of my crazy segs on AA:
BCN-JFK-CVG-MIA-EWR-DFW-SFO + SFO-PSP on AS = 6-7 segs
PSP-DFW-MIA-LIM-MIA-DFW-OMA = 6 segs
PSP-ORD-DFW-BOG-MIA-DFW-OMA = 6 segs

My dream of course, is to squeeze in more.
Do be aware that there is quite a bit more flexibility, routing and connection-wise, using all-AA awards vs. using AAdv partner awards where the published fare rule is much more closely adhered to.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Award with Long gateway stopover options

Ive been reading over a year here and have learned much from those more experienced. I have 2 questions that I'd like some advice with:

We currently have a First Anytime award from FRA-DFW in September. We are going to Orlando in December. Can I ask to do a stopover in DFW until December and then add MCO as my final destination?

Second- obviously we will need to return from MCO so can I do something similar in reverse such as: MCO-DFW stopover for 6 months and then go onto IST?

It seems that I can since I have done a dummy itinerary and it seems to come up with a MileSaver award with no mileage charged for the MCO-DFW segment and shows me available flights from DFW to LHR to IST......of course I used dummy dates using April MCO-DFW and then September onward to IST since flight calendar does not currently go past January 7, 2015.

Are there rules for how long the stopover at gateway can be or how long you have to book it? If the MCO-DFW-IST is booked in January with a dummy date for IST can I change the date for the IST segment when the dates come available ......and if so ......do I have a time constraint as to how far out I can book and travel with that segment.....meaning if original award was booked in January/ February for original departure being December 2014 for MCO-DFW........will I theoretically be able to book the DFW -IST segment for summer 2015?

Thanks to everyone for their advice and wisdom.

Last edited by miamigrad; Feb 10, 2014 at 9:57 am Reason: Restored OP title

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.