Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mygirlsmom
Yes, as long as you are there less than 24 hours, you can leave the next morning. You are not required to take the next flight out.
It would be good if irregardless whether there is scheduled flight or not, one can have up to 24hrs at the connection point.

Would be nice to see someone reports actual booking that works this way.
Old May 11, 2009, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
This was the old rule, which is why I was confused. It appears that now you don't have to take the next scheduled flight.
This is indeed good news. Thanks for the correction.(and mygirlsmom)
(http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...0&postcount=99)
and more specifically:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=1124 post #36

Last edited by alien; May 11, 2009 at 3:30 pm
Old May 11, 2009, 3:12 pm

How to Protest AAdvantage's Horrible/Sudden Changes?

This is truly a nightmare. The whole reason why I book my travel [and am an elite-level flyer] w/AAdvantage, exclusively on American & partners, is because the Award Travel options have offered international and domestic stopovers.

THE ONLY REASON.

The one-way option IS a great idea, but forcing us to cough up miles for every segment [on the otherwise normal stopovers of the route, such as London enroute to Nairobi or Miami enroute to Buenos Aires] means that every single such trip will cost an EXTRA 30-60,000 miles!!!

How many people depend on a stopover to make those 22 hour flights to India possible [deep vein thrombosis, anyone?] Also, how many of us depend also on the short stopover to see friends or family members we might otherwise never get to see, enroute during long international itineraries? [Visiting an aunt in Madrid enroute to Moscow, a cousin in Seoul enroute to Beijing, etc.].

How can they spring this on us so suddenly [I mean, I know they "can", but why is it smart for them to?] spring this on even their elite fliers??

Any suggestions who at American to complain to, or to mount a campaign will be infinitely appreciated!!!
Old May 11, 2009, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Of course one does not have to use extra miles for additional stopovers. One can structure the award as an open jaw (2 one ways) and purchase the connecting flights.
Is this just your dry sense of humor?

Sure you can use cash instead of miles for the connecting flights. Why stop there? You can also purchase the whole thing!
Old May 11, 2009, 3:21 pm

Does anyone know, from a revenue perspective for AA, what difference does it make to allow or not allow stopovers?

If i fly JFK-HKG-BKK or JFK-HKG (stop) HKG-BKK... does AA have to shell out more money for the latter?
Old May 11, 2009, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
If i fly JFK-HKG-BKK or JFK-HKG (stop) HKG-BKK... does AA have to shell out more money for the latter?
Probably not, but if they can collect more miles for the same thing, why not?
Old May 11, 2009, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Does anyone know, from a revenue perspective for AA, what difference does it make to allow or not allow stopovers?

It might, if the through ticket is cheaper than 2 separate tickets when AA settles that with the partner carrier(s).
Old May 11, 2009, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rrgg
Is this just your dry sense of humor?

Sure you can use cash instead of miles for the connecting flights. Why stop there? You can also purchase the whole thing!
Point being, use your miles for the expensive segments and then use cash for the cheaper intra-region segments. Not as good as the free stopoer, to be sure, but another option instead of parting with more miles.
Old May 11, 2009, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by LaFrequentFlyerViva
Any suggestions who at American to complain to, or to mount a campaign will be infinitely appreciated!!!
Start a new thread with a catchy 'protest' title. Draft a letter, provide multiple e-mail addresses including both AA and newspapers that have covered the new one-way rule.

(I don't care enough myself to do this, but I do agree not publicizing or giving notice of a change and trying to slip it through at the same time another change is sneaky and customer-hostile.)
Old May 11, 2009, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have an upcoming LAX-LHR-DUB-ORD-LAX trip with a stopover in LHR. That is definitely costing AA money as they have to shell out for the LHR-DUB segment on a partner.

I'm not happy abou this either, as the above trip would be quite a bit more if I had to buy four one ways to DUB and given that I'm already paying $$$ for taxes and fees, so the flights aren't "free" to begin with.
Old May 11, 2009, 4:19 pm

http://www.aa.com/aa/contactAA/viewA...eFormAccess.do
Old May 11, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Just called them. They said if the travel would not started, then they could divide r/t in 2 one ways and redeposit one. Now, after travel started it would go under old rules.
I just thought about one more advantage of one ways. Some people have only like 13-16k in their account. Without credit card or traveling it seems their miles would expire sooner then they will get to an award. Now they can use miles right away. A huge benefit for people who rarely travel on AA.

Originally Posted by Happy
Worth calling AA to find out. Though I would imagine they say, your award was booked under the old rule, there was no redeposit of miles since travel was started.
Old May 11, 2009, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by al613
A huge benefit for people who rarely travel on AA.
Ahh, so that's who they're targetting.
Old May 11, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Do you think they target flyertalkers? They have DEQM for them.

Originally Posted by rrgg
Ahh, so that's who they're targetting.
Old May 11, 2009, 4:52 pm

Giving Elite Flier the Shaft!

Originally Posted by al613
A huge benefit for people who rarely travel on AA.

I can't imagine why they would give a "huge benefit" to thos who rarely travel on American, while making loyal, frequent/business travellers pay up to DOUBLE the mileage amounts for the same exact trips [such as flying New York to Delhi w/a London stopover might incur.] Taxing their biggest customers an extra 50,000 miles is BAD BUSINESS - especially to spring this on us w/no warning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.