Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by mangoMan
If EF indicates a decent standby chance for the four of us and we decide to go for it, will it be possible to get on the standby list (online) then head to SFO and check our bags on the earlier flight?... What I don't want is to get on the standby flight and have to check our bags on the later (original) flight. That would defeat the purpose of getting to ORD earlier, in our case.
You are not going to be allowed to check luggage onto a flight that you're not confirmed on at the time you check your bags. Best option would be to pay for a confirmed SDFC if getting to ORD earlier is a priority or carry-on only if you want to SDS to an earlier flight (potentially you could ship your bags ahead of time).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
You are not going to be allowed to check luggage onto a flight that you're not confirmed on at the time you check your bags.
And standby can't clear before I check my bags around 1.5 hrs before the flight, right? The GA needs to process the list, right? If so, that scuttles this idea. Getting to ORD early would be nice, but not a priority, and not worth any $ in our case.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by mangoMan
And standby can't clear before I check my bags around 1.5 hrs before the flight, right? The GA needs to process the list, right? If so, that scuttles this idea. Getting to ORD early would be nice, but not a priority, and not worth any $ in our case.
Correct. Even if the flight is wide open they won't clear SDS until at the gate. You might find a sympathetic agent who's willing to check the bags on the earlier flight, but I wouldn't count on it. You could, of course, check your bags on your original flight then do SDS on the earlier flight and just keep one person behind when you arrive at ORD to wait for the bags. AA no longer has a prohibition for elites going standby for an earlier flight while your bags are already checked on your original later flight.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Correct. Even if the flight is wide open they won't clear SDS until at the gate. You might find a sympathetic agent who's willing to check the bags on the earlier flight, but I wouldn't count on it. You could, of course, check your bags on your original flight then do SDS on the earlier flight and just keep one person behind when you arrive at ORD to wait for the bags. AA no longer has a prohibition for elites going standby for an earlier flight while your bags are already checked on your original later flight.

-FlyerBeek
Is it possible that the bags would be loaded on the earlier flight anyway?

I seem to remember an occasion where my bag made it to my destination before I did... I want to say it was when I had a long layover in DFW...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Aero137

I seem to remember an occasion where my bag made it to my destination before I did... I want to say it was when I had a long layover in DFW...
Yes, of course when it's to the airlines advantage, they can do just about anything. But if you ask for special handling, that's a different subject. Involuntary separation of baggage does happen. Back in the day I would check baggage, I would find my bag(s) waiting if there were earlier flights.

Remember the old joke, where a passenger presented his ticket for JFK - LAX and asked his baggage to go via LHR, SCL, and NRT? Agent said they can't do that. The passenger responds, "really? you did it last week"...
(locations changed to protect the innocent)
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Aero137

Sure, it can happen... But, not by request (they will not tag your bags for a different flight than your confirmed on). And, it typically doesn't happen on it's own either (even if there is an earlier nonstop flight departing to your destination).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Today, I did a stand by for a later flight - I was originally on the 7 AM shuttle from BOS to LGA, and I called into standby for the 1 PM flight. When I called in, the agent kept trying to sell me the confirmed change - I had to decline it four or five times. When i get to the airport, the agent claimed that I could only stand by within a "two hour window" - we had to call in another agent in order for me to get my priority verification pass. The process is never really streamlined - you should be able to get a digital pass for standby on your phone.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Sure, it can happen... But, not by request (they will not tag your bags for a different flight than your confirmed on). And, it typically doesn't happen on it's own either (even if there is an earlier nonstop flight departing to your destination).

-FlyerBeek
In my experience I have always been able to check my bags onto the flight I am standing by for the agent always tells me that if I clear the bags will be loaded and if I don't clear they won't.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:02 am

I love how confusing these rules are. I have read through the thread and still a bit confused. I am flight JFK - LAX - PPT on a business saver AA award (AA metal to LAX and then Air Tahiti Nui to PPT). I am flying into LAX a day before (like a 23 hour layover to go hang out in LA for the day before connecting to a late night PPT flight).

Can I standby for an earlier JFK - LAX flight (or get a confirmed 24 hour standby) even though this would make this more than 24 hours layover and therefore an illegal stopover?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

(I am also an exec platinum if that helps)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Woodsmit,
I think in general travelers worry too much about the complicated rules. The rules don't really matter, what matters, is what you are able to convince the agents to do whether that falls inside or outside the rules.

In your situation, I would try this entirely at the airport. Go there for the earlier flight. There is absolutely no reason for you to bring up that you would be in lax for longer than 24 hours. If you act like its no big deal, they might just do it for you.

If you act like "oh my god, I don't know if I can do this," the issue might become a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Also in your case:
1. The airport is always better than the phone. They don't have as much time to analyze the rules at the airport, and
2. I am not sure if you are traveling internationally that standby applys, but again, just wing it at the airport and if they do it for you it doesn't matter if its techniclaly allowed or not;
3. If you get shot down by one airport agent, try another, as Gary Leff says, try different bites at the apple. You have the front ticket counter (actually could even bite the apple different places at the front counter), you have the club or clubs, you have the gates, you have the customer service centers, etc. If you ask three different agents they might give you 3 different enterpritations of the rules or policies so just use that to your advantage and go with the agent that says yes.

But again your atitude, confidence, etc. will be important. If you are so stressed and nervous you will have trouble but if you go in as cool as a cucumber you will be fine.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Woodsmit,
I think in general travelers worry too much about the complicated rules. The rules don't really matter, what matters, is what you are able to convince the agents to do whether that falls inside or outside the rules.

In your situation, I would try this entirely at the airport. Go there for the earlier flight. There is absolutely no reason for you to bring up that you would be in lax for longer than 24 hours. If you act like its no big deal, they might just do it for you.

If you act like "oh my god, I don't know if I can do this," the issue might become a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Also in your case:
1. The airport is always better than the phone. They don't have as much time to analyze the rules at the airport, and
2. I am not sure if you are traveling internationally that standby applys, but again, just wing it at the airport and if they do it for you it doesn't matter if its techniclaly allowed or not;
3. If you get shot down by one airport agent, try another, as Gary Leff says, try different bites at the apple. You have the front ticket counter (actually could even bite the apple different places at the front counter), you have the club or clubs, you have the gates, you have the customer service centers, etc. If you ask three different agents they might give you 3 different enterpritations of the rules or policies so just use that to your advantage and go with the agent that says yes.

But again your atitude, confidence, etc. will be important. If you are so stressed and nervous you will have trouble but if you go in as cool as a cucumber you will be fine.
Thanks. Yea, it is certainly one of those things where pretending like you are right carries a lot of weight.

Would be nice to be able to confirm in advance though; Sitting at the airport is no fun.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Saturday was my good luck day it seems as I arrived at SAT early enough to be listed on a flight that was scheduled to start boarding in 15 minutes. (Good thing I have CLEAR and Pre-Check as I was zipped through security and at the gate in less than 5 minutes!!)

At the counter I was told that my confirmed upgrade to F was not possible but I may make it on the flight that looks to be oversold. (strange!!)

But sure enough, I made it!! Even after asking twice at the gate and being told that it doesn't look good, I was boarded last. Good thing I returned to the gate after taking a short walk.

Apparently, the people that were milling at the gate when I was called up were 1+. I got the last (center) seat on the flight (SAT-DFW). In my opinion I was well worth the effort. Otherwise I would have been "stressing" about my 40 minute connection in DFW for my flight to SFO.

In the end I use the 2 hour layover at DFW wisely without stressing as much.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Woodsmit
I love how confusing these rules are. I have read through the thread and still a bit confused. I am flight JFK - LAX - PPT on a business saver AA award (AA metal to LAX and then Air Tahiti Nui to PPT). I am flying into LAX a day before (like a 23 hour layover to go hang out in LA for the day before connecting to a late night PPT flight).

Can I standby for an earlier JFK - LAX flight (or get a confirmed 24 hour standby) even though this would make this more than 24 hours layover and therefore an illegal stopover?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

(I am also an exec platinum if that helps)
Stopping in LA for more than 24 hours is definitely against the rules. That being said, once I exceeded a 24 hr stop. There had been a schedule change from AA mainline to American Envoy. I called and insisted on flying mainline. The agent rebooked me on the next mainline flight resulting in my stopover exceeding 24 hrs.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Data point:

Was scheduled to fly FLL-ORD-DFW last night. Went to the counter to check a bag, and a very nice agent offered to put me standby on the FLL-DFW flight without me even asking, saying there were plenty of seats open. I even commented that I didn't know that was allowed (which I know in hindsight I shouldn't have), but she basically insisted.

Only catch was that FLL-DFW left after FLL-ORD. So I asked if that was an issue (both if for some reason I didn't clear, and also if it would cancel my trip if I missed my originally scheduled flight), and then she ended up confirming me right there (flight didn't depart for another 1.5 hours or so). I do know I've been confirmed instantly in the past, but I can't remember if that was at the check in counter or just at the gate.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:00 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Data point:

Was scheduled to fly FLL-ORD-DFW last night. Went to the counter to check a bag, and a very nice agent offered to put me standby on the FLL-DFW flight without me even asking, saying there were plenty of seats open. I even commented that I didn't know that was allowed (which I know in hindsight I shouldn't have), but she basically insisted.

Only catch was that FLL-DFW left after FLL-ORD. So I asked if that was an issue (both if for some reason I didn't clear, and also if it would cancel my trip if I missed my originally scheduled flight), and then she ended up confirming me right there (flight didn't depart for another 1.5 hours or so). I do know I've been confirmed instantly in the past, but I can't remember if that was at the check in counter or just at the gate.
I'd have said "No thanks, I need the segments."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.