Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:39 pm
E55

My example is backwards but you get the point.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 2016 at 6:31 am Reason: Removed manual signature
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by E55
My example is backwards but you get the point.
Thanks! Great tip!

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 2016 at 6:31 am Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:22 am

Standby and Upgrade

Was told by GA today that I could not stand by for an earlier flight and stand by for first at the same time. Could only stand by for the main cabin. Is that accurate?

I am Gold btw
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
If you purchase an economy ticket, you need to first clear the standby on the flight you will like to go out, and then be placed on the upgrade list.

If you have already been upgraded on your purchased flight, and decide to stand by on an earlier flight, you will need to repeat the process all over again. Just because you are upgraded, does not mean that you can not automatically stand by for F on another flight.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:10 am

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:29 pm
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by arollins
If you purchase an economy ticket, you need to first clear the standby on the flight you will like to go out, and then be placed on the upgrade list.

If you have already been upgraded on your purchased flight, and decide to stand by on an earlier flight, you will need to repeat the process all over again. Just because you are upgraded, does not mean that you can not automatically stand by for F on another flight.
Thanks for the advice. This worked. It's crazy that the GA know less than people on here lol.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I have done same-day (gratis) standby dozens of times since becoming EXP. Only twice have I also cleared an upgrade. One time was a late night Eagle flight, where there were apparently empty seats in F after upgrading all requestors. The second time was a battlefield upgrade to F on a mainline flight. I cleared standby, and apparently an F pax was a no-show. The GA must have looked at the manifest rather than the PALL list and saw an EXP in coach, upgrading me after boarding was complete.

Neither time was I "entitled" to an upgrade. All upgrades normally complete processing before any standbys begin processing. The only way to get an upgrade is if the GA processes upgrade requests again after clearing standbys, and they generally won't (and IMHO shouldn't) do that.

If you want a shot at an upgrade, and there is "E" class inventory available, you can same-day confirm onto the new flight and then go onto the upgrade request list.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As Gold flying DFW-DEN, I went standby (economy booking) and got upgraded into F. Flight was fully sold out in Y and I got the last F seat. So yes, it is possible.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:04 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by fastflyer
The only way to get an upgrade is if the GA processes upgrade requests again after clearing standbys, and they generally won't (and IMHO shouldn't) do that.
I am curious as to your opposition to this. It would allow EXP to upgrade over Plat and Gold so it seems good to me!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL GM
AA SDS Question

Hi All,

Hoping someone here can give me a little insight and guidance on an AA itinerary I have tomorrow from CLT to CVG. I normally fly Delta but live in CLT and found a ridiculously cheap direct fare to CVG so I figured I would try AA. I have no status on AA (have yet to status match), only have the AAviator Mastercard, so any exceptions or rules that apply to elites won't fit the bill for tomorrow.

I'm on the 4:10 p.m. (AA5244) and trying to get on the 11:40 a.m. (AA5166). I couldn't do a SDFC for $75 since it wasn't available, so I did standby for $75. I haven't seen a standby list anywhere (is there one published?). Is the best plan to just call AA on the way to the airport to get an idea of where I am on the standby list? Any tips or tricks for trying to get on the earlier flight?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I've read the thread but I'm still a little confused on how SDS actually goes down.

I'm an AA Gold and currently on EWR - CLT - RDU with a tight (read 30 minute) connection tomorrow. There is E5 E6 on both legs respectively of an EWR - CLT - RDU flight that leaves EWR at 1:10 and has a 1 hour layover at CLT.

I don't want to spend 5 hours at the airport but how does this exactly work for the later flight. It would seem like there is a good chance I will clear the standby waitlist at E5, E6 for both so can I just not show up at EWR until 1215pm instead of showing up at 945 for the 1030?

Last edited by Duke787; Jan 18, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone confirm successfully being able to Standby for a later flight on an award ticket booked using BA Avios)? I will be flying CLT-ORD in February, but the only award flights available are in the morning on the day I need to travel.

I am PLT, so normally I should be able to Standby for a later flight for free, but wanted to make sure that an award ticket (on BA ticket stock) won't mess things up. I don't see any rules that exclude award tickets or explicitly state that the ticket must be on AA stock (although AA metal is obviously a requirement).
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sthickey09
Hi All,

Hoping someone here can give me a little insight and guidance on an AA itinerary I have tomorrow from CLT to CVG. I normally fly Delta but live in CLT and found a ridiculously cheap direct fare to CVG so I figured I would try AA. I have no status on AA (have yet to status match), only have the AAviator Mastercard, so any exceptions or rules that apply to elites won't fit the bill for tomorrow.

I'm on the 4:10 p.m. (AA5244) and trying to get on the 11:40 a.m. (AA5166). I couldn't do a SDFC for $75 since it wasn't available, so I did standby for $75. I haven't seen a standby list anywhere (is there one published?). Is the best plan to just call AA on the way to the airport to get an idea of where I am on the standby list? Any tips or tricks for trying to get on the earlier flight?

Thanks in advance!
I think the standby list in the app is only for upgrades, but there should be a full standby list displayed on the gate information monitors. I don't believe agents can (officially, anyway) tell you your position on the list since it's subject to change. You could be number 1 until a large family misconnects and bumps you down to number 10.

Originally Posted by Duke787
I've read the thread but I'm still a little confused on how SDS actually goes down.

I'm an AA Gold and currently on EWR - CLT - RDU with a tight (read 30 minute) connection tomorrow. There is E5 E6 on both legs respectively of an EWR - CLT - RDU flight that leaves EWR at 1:10 and has a 1 hour layover at CLT.

I don't want to spend 5 hours at the airport but how does this exactly work for the later flight. It would seem like there is a good chance I will clear the standby waitlist at E5, E6 for both so can I just not show up at EWR until 1215pm instead of showing up at 945 for the 1030?
If I'm understanding this correctly, you want to standby for a later flight? If so, call ahead to have them cancel your confirmed space so you're not marked as a no-show, then have the airport add you to the standby list for the later flight.

Originally Posted by tmm1012
Can anyone confirm successfully being able to Standby for a later flight on an award ticket booked using BA Avios)? I will be flying CLT-ORD in February, but the only award flights available are in the morning on the day I need to travel.

I am PLT, so normally I should be able to Standby for a later flight for free, but wanted to make sure that an award ticket (on BA ticket stock) won't mess things up. I don't see any rules that exclude award tickets or explicitly state that the ticket must be on AA stock (although AA metal is obviously a requirement).
I would recommend seeing what AA.com offers you before you get to the airport, or the kiosk.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Standby for later flight

Sorry if this is covered somewhere, I couldn't find.

Newly-minted plat trying to understand how standby for a later flight works.

Do you just no show for the ticketed flight, or do you have to request before it leaves?

And what happens if you don't get on the new flight, and it's the last one of the day?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Sorry if this is covered somewhere, I couldn't find.

Newly-minted plat trying to understand how standby for a later flight works.

Do you just no show for the ticketed flight, or do you have to request before it leaves?

And what happens if you don't get on the new flight, and it's the last one of the day?
First let AA know you are standing by for a later flight or your ticket could be cancelled. Show up at the airport and be placed on the list. Technically if you don't clear by the end of the day the agent could force you into a change fee and refare but would likely just put you on standby for the next morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.