Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite Status Match by American Airlines (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Status Match by American Airlines (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by jocojr
I am currently 1k on UA (equivalent to EXP on AA) and I am getting fed up with UA.
If this post means what I think it means (that you have earned 60K EQM in just a few weeks), I am wondering what has made you fed up enough with UA to walk away from all those 1K perks.

At any rate, status matches are rare and EXP challenges don't exist, so if you really want to make the leap, the PLT challenge is probably your best bet.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: United Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by tom911
Making EXP even more valuable if you're in the Bay Area, while the ranks of Platinum and Gold will expand by a few more. Having worked my way to that level, it's nice to see that AA isn't comping in folks across the board.
I think part of the motivation for my company is that AA is their #1 preferred airline. This is about a year after my company absorbed another relatively large company (for whom Delta was the #1 preferred airline).

Oddly though, most of my traveling is on United, but it's hard to beat UA's prices for SFO->LHR. Most of my AA travel is to SDQ, so there's not much choice there (other than Delta).
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:43 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
now that UA clearly marks its high-$$$ flyers with UGS status, i would be surprised if AA would comp EXP to a "lowly" 1K. i expect it would take UGS and a pretty good story.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by waxhell
Oddly though, most of my traveling is on United, but it's hard to beat UA's prices for SFO->LHR.
I'm not sure the total prices, with taxes, are much different. AA has SFO-LHR right now for $342 plus tax ($130 or so). Can't imagine UA is much less than that. I have two upcoming AA itineraries into London, and home from Zurich, at $337 plus tax ($96), which I know UA didn't match.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
I'm not sure the total prices, with taxes, are much different. AA has SFO-LHR right now for $342 plus tax ($130 or so). Can't imagine UA is much less than that. I have two upcoming AA itineraries into London, and home from Zurich, at $337 plus tax ($96), which I know UA didn't match.
And remember on UA, those cheap Y tickets would not even be upgradeable with SWU's (like AA VIP's).
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:57 pm
Suspended

I have *heard* from a UGS on UA that he was comped EXP. I don't know how he went about this, but I would sorta believe it. He's not one to lie about such things. Plus UGS is a level above 1K, so it's not like an equal match anyway. I am considering this for next year, but I haven't bit the bullet since I don't want to waste AA's time if I don't plan to use the status.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K+MM, HH DIA, Marriott G, Hertz 5*
One other thing to remember is that UA has plenty of ways to get EQMs other than BIS. You have getting one or more Mileage Plus cards (or spending enough $$ on them or $$ on UA flights), plus the double EQM/EQS offer they do every year. So, 1K is easier to get than EXP. On UAL these days it seems that everyone and their dog are UGS on major routes.

Given that, I made 1K this year, but not EXP, so at least for the next two months I'm both 1K and EXP before I become a lowly PLAT again At least Mrs. Twenex made EXP so hopefully we can travel together in style on both airlines.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by twenex
One other thing to remember is that UA has plenty of ways to get EQMs other than BIS. You have getting one or more Mileage Plus cards (or spending enough $$ on them or $$ on UA flights), plus the double EQM/EQS offer they do every year. So, 1K is easier to get than EXP.
Aha. That gives 60K in just a few weeks an entirely different perspective.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Admirals Club, TrueBlue, AF/KLM Flying Blue
I was fedup with UA, I wrote a letter to AA, and they comped me with Gold (I had Premier Exec with United) only about two months ago.

Well, to AAs benefit, I actually have been booking ALL travel with AA recently...
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by unitedPSbusiness
I was fedup with UA, I wrote a letter to AA, and they comped me with Gold (I had Premier Exec with United) only about two months ago.

Well, to AAs benefit, I actually have been booking ALL travel with AA recently...
You know that wasn't an equal comp, right?
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
QF Lounge Access and status match.

So as a UA 1K I'm guessing that I could get AA to status match me to Platinum. If I've read everything correctly that would mean I would be 1 world Saphire.

Would I then be allowed to access the QF lounge on my internal OZ flights (SYD-CNS-SYD), and would I be allowed to take 1 companion into the lounge with me?

Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:01 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. OW Sapphire will get you QF Lounge Access.

The question of the automatic status match from UA 1K to AA Plt is another issue.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Specifically, they won't status match at all. Interesting question as well if OW status applies for non international flights based only on status as it would't allow AC access for a PLT on domestic travel.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
OW Sapphires and Emeralds will have access to the QF lounges on domestic QF itins.

OP won't be happy when he calls AA about a status match.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 4:50 pm

Sounds like a candidate for the AA Plat challenge...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.