Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite Status Match by American Airlines (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Status Match by American Airlines (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I think 9999 is hip-hop code for lailey.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, UA, CO, DL, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
It is an interesting observation. I am just curious, how do y'all propose to shift the mood around here??
The answer is obvious. If people here make sure to post a derogatory response to every single post that they don't like, for whatever reason, then eventually all users of the internet will have been berated at least once, and will have learned their lesson. End of problem.

Some people have suggested an alternate strategy of just posting about the actual forum topic (AA miles and points), rather than one's own opinion of what someone else posted. They think that by just not even getting into it, and staying on-topic, the signal to noise ratio will improve drastically, and that off-topic stuff, or stupid or inflammatory posts, etc, will just fall off the page in a hurry.

Clearly that point of view is idiotic. Denigrating posts you don't like is clearly the path to progress. This is doubly true if other people have already berated a poster -- nothing succeeds like success! For example, a dream scenario would be a thread composed of one naive question by someone who hasn't bothered to check back to the forum yet and 20+ responses explaining why that question is stupid, with the thread pegged at the top of the page.

This can't happen every day, but we can dream and work towards a brighter future. Godspeed.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:17 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by f9999

Some people have suggested an alternate strategy of just posting about the actual forum topic (AA miles and points), rather than one's own opinion of what someone else posted. They think that by just not even getting into it, and staying on-topic, the signal to noise ratio will improve drastically, and that off-topic stuff, or stupid or inflammatory posts, etc, will just fall off the page in a hurry.
Ok, kidding aside (and the rest of your post deleted because it was less then helpful), what you have here really is the goal. Ideally, we would all be providing information, and the berating posts would not surface. In that way, we would create a better information source.

What happens, however, when the informative posts you suggest just don't exist? When the discussion of AA centers on issues that have already been brought up many, many times before? What if people who knew about that simply provided one answer to these new posts with a link to the prior answer. Then we would have a series of threads that simply contained links to the old threads, but no actual content.

While I see your intent with this, I don't think that this will necessarily imprive the situation here.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, UA, CO, DL, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Ok, kidding aside (and the rest of your post deleted because it was less then helpful), what you have here really is the goal. Ideally, we would all be providing information, and the berating posts would not surface. In that way, we would create a better information source.

What happens, however, when the informative posts you suggest just don't exist? When the discussion of AA centers on issues that have already been brought up many, many times before? What if people who knew about that simply provided one answer to these new posts with a link to the prior answer. Then we would have a series of threads that simply contained links to the old threads, but no actual content.

While I see your intent with this, I don't think that this will necessarily imprive the situation here.

Cheers.
Almost totally agree with you. I think everyone could do two things. One would be for everyone to share as much knowledge as they have. I have less than many, but sometimes I know a good answer. Same is true probably for everyone.

Two would be for people to lower their expectations. It's a board about AA frequent flier issues. There just aren't that many different topics that come up, and only so much breaking news. One doesn't have to respond to every post, getting progressively more annoyed when they don't find whatever it is they are pining for. Check back a few times a day. There's almost always something interesting a few times a week, sometimes more often than that.

Before finding FT I knew very little about the AA program, though I'd been accumulating miles. Now I have hundreds of thousands, free trips, status, the works. The contribution of this forum over the long run to my experiences has been fantastic, it's taught me so many useful things, and it's probably the people I'm lampooning above that have been among the most helpful in posting the things that have helped me. It's a shame to see so many people who seem so upset and unhappy, and whose considerable energy and time seems grossly misdirected.

If people are unhappy with the lack of content here they should stop making content-free posts and do their best to contribute what they know. It's really not much more complicated than that. How about a killer FAQ/sticky, instead of 100 "posting and you" posts? The wiki's coming along, how about making it obvious to newbies? And so on.

So I've broken my own rule, again, by posting about posts in this thread. I'm out. Hope people's mood improves. PS - I'm not the problem. Do a search, I'm posting on topic and not starting fights, and am bowing out of this before one ensues.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
The answer is obvious. If people here make sure to post a derogatory response to every single post that they don't like, for whatever reason, then eventually all users of the internet will have been berated at least once, and will have learned their lesson. End of problem.

Clearly that point of view is idiotic. Denigrating posts you don't like is clearly the path to progress. This is doubly true if other people have already berated a poster -- nothing succeeds like success! For example, a dream scenario would be a thread composed of one naive question by someone who hasn't bothered to check back to the forum yet and 20+ responses explaining why that question is stupid, with the thread pegged at the top of the page.

This can't happen every day, but we can dream and work towards a brighter future. Godspeed.
Here's another interesting thread on the same subject. I think that the OP of that thread might have won the Homer Simpson Award, but I couldn't swear to it.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
If people are unhappy with the lack of content here they should stop making content-free posts and do their best to contribute what they know. It's really not much more complicated than that.
Originally Posted by flailey
I've noticed a lot of "meta" discussion of posts on this forum. These discussions often involve questions of what is appropriate for the forum, is mis-posted, is a repeat, etc.
It's a shame you never got to know Flailey; I think you would have liked him.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:02 am

Question Does AAdvantage match One Pass Status

I am a gold member for one pass and I will now be flying on business where one of my legs of the trip will be on AA. Does anyone know if AA will match my gold status?

I used to be a gold at AA but I went strictly with CO until now. I will be making this trip at least once a month so I would like a shot to be upgraded.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by aybanez
I am a gold member for one pass and I will now be flying on business where one of my legs of the trip will be on AA. Does anyone know if AA will match my gold status?
No they no longer status match.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
That *whole* one leg of one trip notwithstanding , it won't tempt them. Once a month even.

If it is one LONG leg, say to Japan or London or deep South America, in 3 months you should be able to meet at least a Gold Challenge unless they are dog cheap fares.

They are pretty smart not matching status for low milers like this proposal.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9558
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: SQ PPS, IC RA, AAdv Plat
Status match

Tried to do a search on this but the facility doesn't seem to be working...

AA Advantage have offered a status match to my company (we are very good customers). I am currently a SQ PPS member (Star Alliance GOLD priviliges). What (if any) status match should I expect to receive?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by refluxboy
Tried to do a search on this but the facility doesn't seem to be working...

AA Advantage have offered a status match to my company (we are very good customers). I am currently a SQ PPS member (Star Alliance GOLD priviliges). What (if any) status match should I expect to receive?
YouŽll find all information in the "Status Match Master Thread"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9558

:-:
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:13 am

I may have missed it, but one match scenario not mentioned in the master thread is that COPA will match AA EXP status, at least for residents of Latin America. I'm not sure about US residents.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:45 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Since AA has offered some sort of incentive (status match) to your COMPANY .. there is not much we on this forum can add. Other than you must work for a big company that AA is courting from their Sales Department.

Most questions here are about individuals requesting a match based on their flying with another carrier.

Since your company is being offered some 'match options' it will be up to the company to decide who gets them (all travelers or travelers above a certain title/responsibility level). AA is using this as a sales gimick.

Who knows the fine print? Will you get a certain tier level when they sign the contract, and then have to requalify the next year... or will your always get a certain level as long as AA and your company have the contract in place??

Suggest you look at aa.com for the various elite tier levels and see what is being offered. In many cases the Sales 'deal' includes contract fares (discounts on premium cabin fares typical) as well as Admirals Club memberships (specific number probably not unlimited) and other upgrades and service features.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
My educated guess is that they will match low-tier to low-tier. Mid-tier to mid-tier, and top-tier to either mid-tier or top-tier depending on how important your company is to AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.