Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2023, 5:12 pm

Not an ExP, what's the best number to talk to an agent, the award travel line?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by shellyphl
That was pretty much all I asked, you'll see I had to repeat my request twice. I was on the line with an ExP agent at the same time, since Twitter doesn't always get a quick reply, and they could see the Twitter agent doing their thing in my reservation. Here's the Twitter transcript:

shellyphl: Hello, my business class award ticket XXXXXX does not have a checked baggage allowance endorsement section on the confirmation. A Qatar Airways agent confirms that there's not checked baggage allowance attached to my ticket. Can you re-issue the ticket with the correct checked baggage allowance endorsements added?

AA Twitter: From the looks of things, there aren't any free checked bags included in your reservation. We've double-checked on the weight restriction, and you're allowed 40kgs.

s: So I do have an allowance of 40 kgs of checked baggage?

s: I can't find that reflected on my confirmation, only an allowance of 2 carry on bags.

AA: That's correct, and keep in mind any corresponding charges will be applicable.

s: I'm not clear on what you're telling me. Do I have a free checked baggage allowance of 40 kgs or will I be charged for checked baggage? It does not make sense that a business class ticket doesn't include baggage. During check out on the AA website it listed 2 free checked bags but that isn't reflected in my confirmation email.

s: I'd like my itinerary to be re-ticketed with the correct baggage allowance endorsement attached.

AA: We've had the ticket reissued showing the weight allowance. A quick refresh of the app will show this update.

s: Thank you, I appreciate the help.

s: I can confirm the app shows this update. Once again, I very much appreciate the help.

AA: You're very welcome!
That's the fastest and least messy resolution of this issue that we've seen. Nice.
aj411 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA ExP, DL, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
Yes, try that number if you don't have a status line to call. Be sure to ask them to involve a OW liaison if they don't proactively loop one in. I'd suggest trying Twitter too.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That clearly shows that you have an entitlement of 25Kg checked baggage allowance plus a carry on allowance of 1 piece of max 7Kg

You are not limited by number of pieces - you could have any number of bags , just that ylou are limited to a total weight of 25Kg

There are 2 colums,one for the Male to Doha flight and one for Doha to Athens flight - each has the same allowance
Originally Posted by shellyphl
Yes, try that number if you don't have a status line to call. Be sure to ask them to involve a OW liaison if they don't proactively loop one in. I'd suggest trying Twitter too.
Thanks tried Twitter and got shut down saying they don't reissue tickets... Ugh. I'll try the award resy line and involve an OW liaison. Thanks, everyone for your input.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:31 am

This has been such a nightmare. Luckily I still have 4 months to figure this out.

For dp purposes here’s some background: I have 3 separate reservations for AA award tix in QR. first one has 2 J tickets and originates in the US. Put in on hold in January and called to finalize cause I kept getting an error. This one showed luggage allowance. The other 2 reservations have 1 F (MLE-DOH) and J (doh-mad) tickets each. I booked them individually from each of our accounts cause neither of us had enough points to book both. We booked them online this time in April. Neither one of our tickets showed baggage allowance. QR confirmed they didn’t see any. So AA Twitter team reissued our tickets. I was surprised they did it so quickly. I only requested it with a brief explanation and it was done. However, it just could not have been this easy of course. I get a confirmation email for my husband’s ticket with the new ticket number. I go into QR and I see the luggage allowance now. I never get a confirmation for mine. QR still showed the old ticket number. Waited some time, re entered locator number. Still not working. AA confirms there’s a new ticket number but QR just can’t see it. So now we have gone from a baggage issue to something more. Talked to several people from both sides and each would tell me to have the other one fix it. Someone at AA finally understood what I was saying and got oneworld involved. Ticket gets reissued again and I receive email confirmation but QR still sees the old number. The weird thing too is when I look at my AA reservation on desktop, it will tell me that ticket was issues in April, not the new date. But before opening the reservation, it will show the correct date. So it still hasn’t been figured out! Hoping they can soon cause this is stressful lol at least oneworld is looking into it and they have notes in my account that they continue to communicate amongst the three (AA, QR, oneworld). On top of it all, just a few days there was an equipment swap on the DOH-MAD leg.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called back and finally got a sup, who said she checked with the their rate desk, the QR website, OW desk - all stating/showing the standard 2 bags in J-class.
I shared with her all the experiences, reports from this thread (not mentioned FT specifically) and pointed out that bag allowance needed to be added/ticket issued manually by OW. She then agreed to get back to the OW desk and sure enough got the ticket reissued! During the process the sup referred to "her" reissuing the ticket;.so it appears that was done at/by the OW desk. Total time elapsed: 2hrs25 mins.

The magic word in my case was "manually"! QR record now says "Business 40 kg" under the heading "Class/checked baggage allowance".
Probably should be 2 bags 40kg, but I will be fine with 1 bag allowance.
Thanks again to all for the feedback in this thread.
shellyphl likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Called back and finally got a sup, who said she checked with the their rate desk, the QR website, OW desk - all stating/showing the standard 2 bags in J-class.
I shared with her all the experiences, reports from this thread (not mentioned FT specifically) and pointed out that bag allowance needed to be added/ticket issued manually by OW. She then agreed to get back to the OW desk and sure enough got the ticket reissued! During the process the sup referred to "her" reissuing the ticket;.so it appears that was done at/by the OW desk. Total time elapsed: 2hrs25 mins.

The magic word in my case was "manually"! QR record now says "Business 40 kg" under the heading "Class/checked baggage allowance".
Probably should be 2 bags 40kg, but I will be fine with 1 bag allowance.
Thanks again to all for the feedback in this thread.
40kg is the standarfd baggage allowance for Qatar business class. you are not limited on number of bags - just total weight and that no piece can exceed 32kg. It shouldn't say 2 bags

The exception to this is for travel to/from Africa or Americas where allowance is 2 Pieces each max 32Kg
cesco.g and shellyphl like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 10:49 pm

Called a bunch of times, even Australia Support. Nothing seems to work, Everyone says I'm good on my Award Travel. First Class ticket (Z) on Qatar Airways - everyone refers to me being One World Emerald, First class, blah blah.

When I call Qatar they say no bags, and none listed on website....

Tried Twitter, no luck. Any other suggestions? I use every keyword in the book I learned from this thread too "OW Helpdesk" "Baggage Endorsements" "MANUAL" etc... Nothing seems to work.

Last edited by kromix; Aug 11, 2023 at 11:20 pm
Old Aug 12, 2023, 5:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
I am in the same boat with AA award tickets on separate QR and EY itineraries for travel in November 2023. Both eTickets do not show any baggage allowance. There is a fundamental problem with AA award eTickets on other OW airlines. I did not contact AA yet but my previous journeys had same issues. However at check-in I did not encounter any issues with both airlines.

For QR, Go to Malaysia Airlines website and enter your QR PNR (should be in your eTicket from AA) under manage my booking option. There you can see the baggage allowance. You can also check on Royal Jordanian or Finnair websites as well.

For EY, Go to Etihad website and enter your EY PNR (should be in your eTicket from AA) under manage my booking options. Once the itinerary is retrieved, click on View All Extras, Add Extra Bags. There you can see your current baggage allowance.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by aglp2k; Aug 12, 2023 at 6:08 am
Old Aug 12, 2023, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by aglp2k
I am in the same boat with AA award tickets on separate QR and EY itineraries for travel in November 2023. Both eTickets do not show any baggage allowance. There is a fundamental problem with AA award eTickets on other OW airlines. I did not contact AA yet but my previous journeys had same issues. However at check-in I did not encounter any issues with both airlines.

For QR, Go to Malaysia Airlines website and enter your QR PNR (should be in your eTicket from AA) under manage my booking option. There you can see the baggage allowance. You can also check on Royal Jordanian or Finnair websites as well.

For EY, Go to Etihad website and enter your EY PNR (should be in your eTicket from AA) under manage my booking options. Once the itinerary is retrieved, click on View All Extras, Add Extra Bags. There you can see your current baggage allowance.
Wait does this actually work? It's showing bags for me via Malaysia and Royal and Finnair, but not through Qatar itself.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:09 am

AA partner award ticket baggage allowance issues

Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly
what was the exact instruction aside from asking them to properly issue it with baggage allowance ?
I had this issue with AA issued ticket on EY back in January. Was assured by AA that everything is fine and they do see free baggage allowance on the ticket. But of course everything was not fine. Check in agent at LHE told us about the ticket being no baggage ticket.
Had a ticket issued ( partner award) on QR and just saw the same thing outlined by many posters here. AA confirmation only says free carry-on. Qatar website also does not show any free checked baggage allowance. Called Qatar to confirm it first which they did that there is no checked baggage allowance on my ticket.
Just spent sometime with AA via online chat . Went thru the whole process. After several back and forth, i got the following response.

" I have contacted our specialized team about the concern of the checked baggage."

Then few minutes later.

" We have now sent your request and you will receive an email notification that your checked bag has been added in the next 2 to 4 hours.

I will update if and when i receive the email and ticket has been updated.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
I agree that having a ticket in F without baggage allowance is crazy, but it appears to be possible given the comments earlier in this thread. However, ranting and raving at check in staff isn't going to solve the problem. Most experienced travellers carry copies of their ticket information with them, which would have made it easy to prove to check in staff what your entitlement was. As I see it there were 4 options:
  1. don't travel
  2. travel without bags
  3. pay the baggage surcharge (despite what you say it was an option, although not particularly appealing)
  4. contact the ticketing airline and get them to speak to the carrier, to correct any error there was in issuing the original ticket

It appears that the problem was caused by AA, and the OP was unfortunate not to spot it. However, that's not an excuse to try to implement a boycott of QR, who were probably just following their rules
For first class tickets, you carry ticket terms and conditions? Stop assuming what most seasoned travelers do because i'm one and I assure you I and most others wouldn't for this even if you do. $1500 dollar fee for luggage is NOT a solution in the real world.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by pinkibone
This has been such a nightmare. Luckily I still have 4 months to figure this out.

For dp purposes here’s some background: I have 3 separate reservations for AA award tix in QR. first one has 2 J tickets and originates in the US. Put in on hold in January and called to finalize cause I kept getting an error. This one showed luggage allowance. The other 2 reservations have 1 F (MLE-DOH) and J (doh-mad) tickets each. I booked them individually from each of our accounts cause neither of us had enough points to book both. We booked them online this time in April. Neither one of our tickets showed baggage allowance. QR confirmed they didn’t see any. So AA Twitter team reissued our tickets. I was surprised they did it so quickly. I only requested it with a brief explanation and it was done. However, it just could not have been this easy of course. I get a confirmation email for my husband’s ticket with the new ticket number. I go into QR and I see the luggage allowance now. I never get a confirmation for mine. QR still showed the old ticket number. Waited some time, re entered locator number. Still not working. AA confirms there’s a new ticket number but QR just can’t see it. So now we have gone from a baggage issue to something more. Talked to several people from both sides and each would tell me to have the other one fix it. Someone at AA finally understood what I was saying and got oneworld involved. Ticket gets reissued again and I receive email confirmation but QR still sees the old number. The weird thing too is when I look at my AA reservation on desktop, it will tell me that ticket was issues in April, not the new date. But before opening the reservation, it will show the correct date. So it still hasn’t been figured out! Hoping they can soon cause this is stressful lol at least oneworld is looking into it and they have notes in my account that they continue to communicate amongst the three (AA, QR, oneworld). On top of it all, just a few days there was an equipment swap on the DOH-MAD leg.
QR can finally see the correct ticket number but we are now back at square 1. I have HUCA so many times for both airlines and have also provided all the keywords possible. I don't understand why my husband's reservation got fixed but not mine. Anyway, he is showing 50kg. Does that mean we can check both our luggages for up to 50kg total if it comes to that? It's not looking good for a resolution even though I still have several months left but I have wasted so much time on the phone/chat/twitter..... I am so over it!
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:15 am

This is what they are last telling me on my latest requests: It means that we've made notes on the booking and the Qatar agents will be able to view it from their end when you're checking in. If you're charged, you can circle back to us so we can look into refunding you the baggage fees paid once you're within the 50kg allowance.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by takhliq1
I had this issue with AA issued ticket on EY back in January. Was assured by AA that everything is fine and they do see free baggage allowance on the ticket. But of course everything was not fine. Check in agent at LHE told us about the ticket being no baggage ticket.
Had a ticket issued ( partner award) on QR and just saw the same thing outlined by many posters here. AA confirmation only says free carry-on. Qatar website also does not show any free checked baggage allowance. Called Qatar to confirm it first which they did that there is no checked baggage allowance on my ticket.
Just spent sometime with AA via online chat . Went thru the whole process. After several back and forth, i got the following response.

" I have contacted our specialized team about the concern of the checked baggage."

Then few minutes later.

" We have now sent your request and you will receive an email notification that your checked bag has been added in the next 2 to 4 hours.

I will update if and when i receive the email and ticket has been updated.

Update on my situation.

Of course i still have not received any e-mail from AA. And now when i pull up the reservation on AA.com, even the cabin baggage information that was previously there is gone. Qatar Airways website also still does not show any baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.