Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Old Aug 15, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by pinkibone
This is what they are last telling me on my latest requests: It means that we've made notes on the booking and the Qatar agents will be able to view it from their end when you're checking in. If you're charged, you can circle back to us so we can look into refunding you the baggage fees paid once you're within the 50kg allowance.
In my opinion, the chances of that happening are essentially zero. The issue of AA-entered notes in the PNR being honored by QR staff to override the baggage allowance on the ticket is dubious, but at least it could happen. But the notion of QR collecting excess baggage fees (especially in the range of $1500 as was suggested in one situation above), and then after travel is complete that AA would give the passenger a refund, is in fantasy land.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
In my opinion, the chances of that happening are essentially zero. The issue of AA-entered notes in the PNR being honored by QR staff to override the baggage allowance on the ticket is dubious, but at least it could happen. But the notion of QR collecting excess baggage fees (especially in the range of $1500 as was suggested in one situation above), and then after travel is complete that AA would give the passenger a refund, is in fantasy land.
What about my situation, the ticket on Qatar Airways does NOT show baggage, but I logged in and chatted with a Qatar Associate and got an official email transcript of the convo which states the following:

------------------------------------
Agent:Welcome to Qatar Airways. How can I help you?
KromiX : Customer has joined the chat
KromiX : Hi Agent, How are you?
Agent:Hi, KromiX. How may i assist you please?
KromiX : I wanted to confirm my that my baggage allowance on PNR: XXXXX - is showing on this First Class (Z) ticket as 50kg + 20kg (OneWorld Emerald) , total of 70kg per pax .
Agent:Kindly hold as i check
KromiX : thank u
Agent:Thank you for your patience
Agent:Your baggage allowance as first class traveler is 50 Kg
Agent:And as an Emerald member, you are allowed an excess 2okg
Agent:Which will sure total up to 70 kg
KromiX : ok so it shows for me for 70kg everything is properly connected right?
Agent:Yes sure
KromiX : Ok great thank u
Agent:You are welcome
------------------------------------

Surely if I pull up this email sent by their servers of their agent telling me I'm good the counter people can't fight me right?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are checking in at a location where QR has contracted out check in services, I suspect that the only thing that will matter is what it says in the ticket

I think that your email would be stronger if it didnt have leading questions - I would so on and ask simply 'I have a reservation ABCDEF - could you please confirm the baggage allowance in this booking" - that way you can have more confidence that the person actually checked your specific booking. What does the booking say if you check on the Malaysian Airlines manage booking?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you are checking in at a location where QR has contracted out check in services, I suspect that the only thing that will matter is what it says in the ticket

I think that your email would be stronger if it didnt have leading questions - I would so on and ask simply 'I have a reservation ABCDEF - could you please confirm the baggage allowance in this booking" - that way you can have more confidence that the person actually checked your specific booking. What does the booking say if you check on the Malaysian Airlines manage booking?
Exactly!

The conversation with the leading information being "First Class" does not help the situation at all because the agent might only check the class of service but totally neglect there is nothing on the ticket about baggage allowance, or worse, saying 0 kg is allowed.

Better just give the PNR and ask the chat agent to check the baggage allowance, without any extra non-related info that would only cause confusion.

The Malaysian Airlines Manage Booking information would be more reliable than what the chat agent says, that is how I feel.

I could not believe this AA/QR baggage allowance issue still exists after several months it resurfaced its ugly head. Our trip last Oct the tickets did show bag allowance on both AA tickets and on QR site. Why the thing from working fine to suddenly not working early this year is truly a messy mystery.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:48 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by MIAman3
For first class tickets, you carry ticket terms and conditions? Stop assuming what most seasoned travelers do because i'm one and I assure you I and most others wouldn't for this even if you do. $1500 dollar fee for luggage is NOT a solution in the real world.
There are plenty of seasoned travelers in this very thread dealing with this issue. You can't speak for most others.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
i dont disagree at all. Specially considering how wording is looking into getting it refunded.

my husbands ticket does show 50kg. Does that mean it can be more than one piece as long as it is a total of 50kilos? Cause if thats the case at the very least we can just do that. Itd be great if it was on my ticket since Im the one with one world status but at least its something.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

In my chat PNR: XXXXX was blocked out for privacy, I included my Qatar PNR.

This is what I see on Malaysia Airlines, is this correct?

Old Aug 16, 2023, 6:27 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by kromix
In my chat PNR: XXXXX was blocked out for privacy, I included my Qatar PNR.

This is what I see on Malaysia Airlines, is this correct?
My passenger details looked similar on the MH site BEFORE I got AA to re-ticket the flight with baggage endorsements. Afterwards, my passenger details looked like this on the QR site:
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by takhliq1
I had this issue with AA issued ticket on EY back in January. Was assured by AA that everything is fine and they do see free baggage allowance on the ticket. But of course everything was not fine. Check in agent at LHE told us about the ticket being no baggage ticket.
Had a ticket issued ( partner award) on QR and just saw the same thing outlined by many posters here. AA confirmation only says free carry-on. Qatar website also does not show any free checked baggage allowance. Called Qatar to confirm it first which they did that there is no checked baggage allowance on my ticket.
Just spent sometime with AA via online chat . Went thru the whole process. After several back and forth, i got the following response.

" I have contacted our specialized team about the concern of the checked baggage."

Then few minutes later.

" We have now sent your request and you will receive an email notification that your checked bag has been added in the next 2 to 4 hours.

I will update if and when i receive the email and ticket has been updated.

Update on my situation.

Spent good part of yesterday going back and forth with AA and QR.
AA rep would assure me that they have spoken with QR and there is baggage allowance of 25kg for economy. I keep telling them that info needs to be on the ticket. Then i check with QR and am told there is no baggage on this ticket. Then i thought may be i will give it some time and it will be updated.

Checked this morning and still no baggage info on the AA or QR. Spent about an hour with QR this morning and in the end i am told, they do not see any baggage allowance on this ticket.
Went back to AA online chat. Luckily got connected to the same rep as yesterday so did not have to explain everything all over again. He called Qatar while we are on the online chat. After about 30 minutes he asked me to check the ticket to see if the info is there. On the AA side, it still wasn't there. Then i checked on QR website and finally the baggage allowance info is listed under class of service.

Whatever the problem is ( whether system integration or something else) i hope it gets resolved soon. Too many people impacted.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by takhliq1
Update on my situation.

Spent good part of yesterday going back and forth with AA and QR.
AA rep would assure me that they have spoken with QR and there is baggage allowance of 25kg for economy. I keep telling them that info needs to be on the ticket. Then i check with QR and am told there is no baggage on this ticket. Then i thought may be i will give it some time and it will be updated.

Checked this morning and still no baggage info on the AA or QR. Spent about an hour with QR this morning and in the end i am told, they do not see any baggage allowance on this ticket.
Went back to AA online chat. Luckily got connected to the same rep as yesterday so did not have to explain everything all over again. He called Qatar while we are on the online chat. After about 30 minutes he asked me to check the ticket to see if the info is there. On the AA side, it still wasn't there. Then i checked on QR website and finally the baggage allowance info is listed under class of service.

Whatever the problem is ( whether system integration or something else) i hope it gets resolved soon. Too many people impacted.
Glad that you finally got it fixed, though with a lot of stress and wasted a lot of time...

I would make a screenshot of that. IIRC QR site has a function you can request emailing the tickets. I saw our tickets last Sept that QR emailed, there was a PDF Fare Rules attachment, in it the luggage allowances on each class are clearly written out on both checked bags and carry on bags. If the site still allows you to request emailing the tickets, do that so you also have the proper proof.

Now we know yet another method to fix this - AA agent talked to QR agent directly while still on the chat. So there are the "get oneworld liason desk" method, the twitter route, and now the chat rep route.

Essentially this is AA system issue that somehow drops the baggage endorsement portion of AA issued tickets on QR flights, but it is fixable, MANUALLY. Hope everyone impacted would get it fixed before the trip.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Glad that you finally got it fixed, though with a lot of stress and wasted a lot of time...

I would make a screenshot of that. IIRC QR site has a function you can request emailing the tickets. I saw our tickets last Sept that QR emailed, there was a PDF Fare Rules attachment, in it the luggage allowances on each class are clearly written out on both checked bags and carry on bags. If the site still allows you to request emailing the tickets, do that so you also have the proper proof.

Now we know yet another method to fix this - AA agent talked to QR agent directly while still on the chat. So there are the "get oneworld liason desk" method, the twitter route, and now the chat rep route.

Essentially this is AA system issue that somehow drops the baggage endorsement portion of AA issued tickets on QR flights, but it is fixable, MANUALLY. Hope everyone impacted would get it fixed before the trip.

"AA agent talked to QR agent directly while still on the chat"

What is this method how do you link AA agent to QR Agent via Chat?
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kromix
"AA agent talked to QR agent directly while still on the chat"

What is this method how do you link AA agent to QR Agent via Chat?
You need to ask the poster @takhliq1 who posted this DP only 2 posts above yours in Post No.204.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 1:37 am

Funnily enough my TK award using AV Lifemiles has the same issue. Never noticed it before as I don't check bags.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by erik123
Funnily enough my TK award using AV Lifemiles has the same issue. Never noticed it before as I don't check bags.
I have to wonder if this situation isn't much more common than we think. Perhaps it happens all the time, and the outlier here isn't that tickets got issued with no checked baggage allowance, but that there was a particular duty manager at a particular outstation that decided to strictly enforce it, whereas perhaps standard industry practice is to apply common sense and general knowledge in such situations and give the standard baggage allowance despite what's on the ticket.
murphy likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 2:01 pm

I thought this was limited to QR but I also experienced this exact problem with an AA award on an EY flight in J that I booked for my mum - it took 2 hours of phone calls to resolve while standing at AUH.

Make sure you always check with the operating carrier well in advance, if you want to avoid wasting time at check-in like I did!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.