Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Old Jul 3, 2023, 11:07 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I never bothered trying hard enough to get my ticket reissued after the first 3 calls led to nothing, since I knew I would be traveling with carry on only.
FWIW, just checked in at DOH for the 2nd leg of my trip in F. The agent at the F check in desk noticed the lack of checked bag allowance and said it was the first time shes ever seen an F ticket with no baggage allowance, and was concerned I wouldnt have lounge access either. Fortunately it doesnt seem this issue has any bearing on lounge access, as Im typing this from the Al Safwa lounge.
eefor jfp likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP || AA Lifetime Plat closing in on 4MM
Thank you OP for bringing this to everyone's attention and to the others who provided constructive feedback. I am flying HKT-DOH-CAI in a couple of weeks myself and I noticed a glitch in one of my confirmation emails which may provide a data point.

When I searched for my confirmation emails, the first email that popped up was a confirmation email from Qatar (which I received after I selected my seats on their website immediately after I booked the award travel on the AA website). The email from Qatar did not state any baggage allowance and panic quickly set in. However, I did locate my confirmation email from AA which showed I had baggage allowance. I proceeded to triple check it against the AA, QR, and MH websites and each did show that I have baggage allowance. (And a quirk I found in my confirmation email from AA is that it showed I am booked in Premium Economy when in fact I booked an Economy award ticket but I digress.)

I am wondering how Qatar's system initially did not show I had baggage allowance but switched at some point? Perhaps this could be an IT issue on their end? I am no IT person so will leave that to the IT people to speculate.

Regardless, I will be armed with my emails and logged into each site when I check in. Hopefully their system will not revert to showing zero baggage allowance, and at the worst, I'll dispute any baggage charges I incur as rebooking the flight isn't an option for me.
Attached Images    
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: AAL EXP
Originally Posted by S.R
I never bothered trying hard enough to get my ticket reissued after the first 3 calls led to nothing, since I knew I would be traveling with carry on only.
FWIW, just checked in at DOH for the 2nd leg of my trip in F. The agent at the F check in desk noticed the lack of checked bag allowance and said it was the first time shes ever seen an F ticket with no baggage allowance, and was concerned I wouldnt have lounge access either. Fortunately it doesnt seem this issue has any bearing on lounge access, as Im typing this from the Al Safwa lounge.
A bit off-topic but the poster referenced being in the Al Safwa lounge. I am flying into DOH on QR in J from SIN and leaving the next day on AA in F (award ticket) to JFK. Am I entitled to access to Al Safwa lounge as an American First Class passenger? I am also EXP if that enters into the equation. Thank you
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by hmsflyer
A bit off-topic but the poster referenced being in the Al Safwa lounge. I am flying into DOH on QR in J from SIN and leaving the next day on AA in F (award ticket) to JFK. Am I entitled to access to Al Safwa lounge as an American First Class passenger? I am also EXP if that enters into the equation. Thank you
My understanding from other posts is that you will have access to the Al Safwa lounge based on the AA ticket (award space does not factor into it).
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA ExP, DL, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
I'll start by echoing the thanks to OP for bringing this issue to light. I booked a RT biz class (U) ticket DOH to AKL; the AA confirmation email only showed carry-on bags and the QR website didn't have anything listed under baggage. When I pulled up my itinerary on the MH site, it looked similar to the screenshot from the poster upthread, with no number next to checked bags.

I spoke with a total of 4 agents via the EXP line and 1 Twitter agent to get my baggage allowance endorsements sorted out. The first agent insisted the baggage was there and wouldn't call a OW liaison. The second agent said he was contacting a OW liaison but then came back with the reply that I didn't have any checked baggage allowance whatsoever. The third agent said I'd be fine with my OWE status, listing a number and weight of baggage that turned out to be incorrect. I submitted a request to be re-ticketed with the appropriate checked baggage allowance endorsements via Twitter while I called a fourth time. This phone agent spoke to a OW liaison who, miraculously, was familiar with this issue. So I guess in addition to finding the right AA agent, they have to find the right OW liaison. I finally received a new AA confirmation email with a new ticket number; the new confirmation email didn't reflect the baggage endorsement, but when I checked the QR site, it showed 40kg of baggage allowance, which is accurate for flights to Oceania.

I'm relatively confident my OWE status would have granted me a bag regardless, but it became a matter of principle after being told I had no free checked bags. Total time spent on the phone was 2 hours and 15 minutes. Frustrating that it was such a time suck to resolve, I wouldn't normally have had this much time to invest.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I have the same situation with my DOH-DPS ticket. The "checked bag" has no "free" next to it, as the "carry-on" has. Does it mean we will have to pay for the checked bag?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by ShortTrip
I have the same situation with my DOH-DPS ticket. The "checked bag" has no "free" next to it, as the "carry-on" has. Does it mean we will have to pay for the checked bag?
The short answer seems to be that you do need to call AA and get them to re-issue the ticket with the correct baggage allowance. This may require liaising to the oneworld desk (see the post above yours).
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huge thank you to Delta141 for bringing this to light!
Just checked my AA-issued J ticket on QR and sure enough only carry-on allowance is listed!
Would have been in big trouble if I had not found this thread! FT again proving hugely valuable.
Will follow steps outlined above to resolve.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:38 pm

Another thank-you to OP for bringing this to our attention.
I have two award tickets on QR for later this year, and when I checked them, there was no baggage allowance.
It took four phone calls, five agents and 3 hours 20 minutes on the phone to get it fixed! What a time waste!
Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I have 3 tickets on QR later this year. 2 had 2x32 as the allowance. 1 just says BUSINESS

When i selected seats on the last one, it updated to say 2x32. Interesting
Old Jul 13, 2023, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Antarius
I have 3 tickets on QR later this year. 2 had 2x32 as the allowance. 1 just says BUSINESS
When i selected seats on the last one, it updated to say 2x32. Interesting
- I have selected my J seats on QR flights but where on QR website would I see the baggage allowance for the ticket?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 11:12 pm

Question on this baggage allowance - Since I am checking bags in Japan, are they transferring my bags from JAL to Qatar Airways to my final destination, or do I need to pickup my bags and re-check them with Qatar Airways during my 15 hour layover in Bangkok?

I see no baggage allowance, and neither does the Qatar 1-800 support agent. When I call AA, AA tells me the baggage will be transfered from Japan Airlines to Qatar and I never touch them even though im in bangkok for 15 hours. Is this accurate?

1 AA Award Ticket with long layover:
Japan Airlines Depart HND 12:45 AM - Arrive BKK 5:00 AM
Qatar Airways Depart BKK 9:05 PM - Arrive DOH 11:55 PM
Qatar Airways Depart DOH 12:55 AM - Arrive DXB 3:15 AM

Last edited by kromix; Jul 14, 2023 at 12:05 pm
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- I have selected my J seats on QR flights but where on QR website would I see the baggage allowance for the ticket?
Under the Passenger Details section

cesco.g likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Interesting thread. IMO the OP handled this brilliantly. Faced with an immovable wall at the check-in desk, and unable to break through it with common sense or getting AA to fix it, he just went around the wall by booking elsewhere. There was no way AA was going to reimburse him the $1,500 baggage charge. Having the experience and knowledge to research alternatives and having a couple banks of miles should be in every frequent flyer's toolkit.

My question is where in the system is the baggage allowance stored? Is it a field in the PNR or is it buried somewhere in the ticket rules? It flabbergasts me that there is a first class ticket type out there that has no baggage allowance.
wrp96 and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Antarius
Under the Passenger Details section

Thank you! I did select the seats but my passenger details still shows only "Business" and nothing about baggage. My wife (also EXP) did try to fix this by calling AA but was not successful so far.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.