Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Old Oct 22, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Plat - 2MM, Delta - GM
QR app showing two 'suitcases' under checked bag

I have an upcoming AA award trip with three segments, one on BA and two on QR (all business). In the QR app there are suitcases under 'checked baggage' (one is 'extra bag'). However there is no specific mention of it in manage my booking on their website or anywhere else on the app or on BA's manage my booking. There was also no mention of checked bags on my AA ticket confirmation. I chatted with QR and they said they couldn't pull up the baggage allowance. Does anyone know if these two suitcases confirm the allowance? I can call AA but not looking forward to the runaround I'll likely get.

Old Oct 22, 2023, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KimT
I have an upcoming AA award trip with three segments, one on BA and two on QR (all business). In the QR app there are suitcases under 'checked baggage' (one is 'extra bag'). However there is no specific mention of it in manage my booking on their website or anywhere else on the app or on BA's manage my booking. There was also no mention of checked bags on my AA ticket confirmation. I chatted with QR and they said they couldn't pull up the baggage allowance. Does anyone know if these two suitcases confirm the allowance? I can call AA but not looking forward to the runaround I'll likely get.

It should say 2 x 32 kg. I'd call AA and have them reissue the ticket.

If QR says they can't see it, it doesnt exist.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Antarius
It should say 2 x 32 kg. I'd call AA and have them reissue the ticket.

If QR says they can't see it, it doesnt exist.
The allowance on that route is 40Kg rather than 2 pieces. Malta to Hanou is not a journey to/from the Americas or Africa
Indeed,, if it cannot be seen by QR, get it reissued so that there is no riisk
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:54 am

Programs: AA Plat - 2MM, Delta - GM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The allowance on that route is 40Kg rather than 2 pieces. Malta to Hanou is not a journey to/from the Americas or Africa
Indeed,, if it cannot be seen by QR, get it reissued so that there is no riisk
Thanks for the reply. I did call AA yesterday and got an agent who understood the problem immediately. I was on hold for around 30 minutes and she came back and said it was being re-issued. The only 'problem' is my AA number couldn't be put in the ticket for some reason. About 12 hours later I did get email confirmation of the new tickets and the bag allowance is showing correctly in the QR record (40 kg).

I am able to add my AA number in 'edit passenger details' in both AA and QR manage booking. However it then goes back to blank on AA and the trips don't show on 'manage my trips'. I guess it's not that big of a deal since I'm in U and wouldn't necessary get any extra perks from my OW Sapphire status (and it's an award ticket, so no miles). Still a nuisance that the trips aren't tied to my account.

Thanks to Delta141 for bringing up this issue and everyone who posted their experiences! Glad I was made aware ahead of time!
Antarius and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 2:31 pm

An agent advised me that this is a possible workaround. This only works before actually booking the ticket.

1. Instead of booking the ticket, on the last screen before paying (screen that asks for credit card info) put the ticket on Advantage Hold, instead of purchasing.
2. Call AA, have them pull up the reservation you just put on hold, and ask them to "look at the baggage allowance on the price quote". It should be visible to them at this stage.
3. If the baggage is not attached, suggest that they "call the rate desk and have them manually put the correct baggage in the price quote"
4. Once the error is fixed by the rate desk, pay the fees & get the reservation ticketed over the phone with the agent.

From what the agent said, this can be done in a straightforward manner, but only before the actual ticketing.
Happy and shellyphl like this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by svenmook
An agent advised me that this is a possible workaround. This only works before actually booking the ticket.

1. Instead of booking the ticket, on the last screen before paying (screen that asks for credit card info) put the ticket on Advantage Hold, instead of purchasing.
2. Call AA, have them pull up the reservation you just put on hold, and ask them to "look at the baggage allowance on the price quote". It should be visible to them at this stage.
3. If the baggage is not attached, suggest that they "call the rate desk and have them manually put the correct baggage in the price quote"
4. Once the error is fixed by the rate desk, pay the fees & get the reservation ticketed over the phone with the agent.

From what the agent said, this can be done in a straightforward manner, but only before the actual ticketing.
This is a good workaround - thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:09 am

Called AA and the agent said she could only see the J class baggage weight allowed which is more than I need anyway (not 2 bags or whatever). Said it should be fine and status should make me eligible for the baggage anyway.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Well, this has been fun so far.

Stumbled upon this thread this evening. I have a BKK-DOH booking same as OP. Checked allowance on QR. As others have said, it just says "FIRST", with no weight after. I assume with status I'll get 20kg, but we're 2pax and could easily end up over that.

Called AA. First AAgent keeps on just repeating two checked bags. I tell them that can't be right, because QR is weight concept and to please check. AAgent insists I'll be ok and basically tells me I'm worrying about something stupid as its a first class ticket... anyway HUCA
Second call. Same thing. AAgent regurgitates "two checked bags" and refuses to proceed further and also insists that there is no problem.

Finally decided to try this chat option, as suggested upthread. The message was "Hi I'm booked on a QR award PNR XXXXXX. QR indicates there is no checked baggage allowance. Can you pls check with your rate desk that the baggage endorsement is added to the ticket?". AAgent asks me to wait 3-5 minutes and tells me they reissued the ticket.

Refreshed QR site and now it says "FIRST 50kg". So, lesson is to try the chat function in the app.

I'll note that a QR award ticket I booked 2 days ago in business did have the allowance properly attached. So maybe they fixed it and this is only a problem for old tickets.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by no2chem
I'll note that a QR award ticket I booked 2 days ago in business did have the allowance properly attached. So maybe they fixed it and this is only a problem for old tickets.
it's intermittent, IME. One of the things I've noticed is if you don't see any baggage on the QR PNR, go change seats and come back. In many cases, it's switched from showing Business to the actual baggage.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just put a MAD-DOH onhold, thinking I need to check the baggage issue first before ticketing it. Glad I did.

So it seems the issue still shows up randomly with some agents know what to do to fix it (reissue) while some have no clue whatsoever.

Right now there is NO baggage information on QR site whatsoever because the reservation is not ticketed yet?

The steps given in post 230 about calling AA to check the baggage allowance before ticketing is very useful. I will give it a try once the holiday travel crunch subsides in coming weekdays. Reservation is on hold till Dec 2nd Doha time.

Also when people here referring the Chat - does it mean the chat function on AA site? Since my ancient Twitter account is long gone but I dont want to open a new X account just for this purpose. I am hoping the "Chat with AA" means the chat function on AA website.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 27, 2023 at 11:39 am
Old Nov 27, 2023, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I just did a Qatar award booking. Whilst it was on hold, there was no baggage allowance listed , nor could seats be selected; once ticketed, the baggage allowance of 40kg showed in the booking

I found flights online and held them ; I then called AA via its Australia number to get ticketing complete

Everything looks fine with the booking
Happy and DiamondMile like this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
I just did a Qatar award booking. Whilst it was on hold, there was no baggage allowance listed , nor could seats be selected; once ticketed, the baggage allowance of 40kg showed in the booking

I found flights online and held them ; I then called AA via its Australia number to get ticketing complete

On Thursday and Friday early mornings I held and then called in to book 4 AAdvantage awards operated by QR. I initially saw no bag allowances. I performed a "manage bookings" on the QR site, and still saw no allowance. I then went into seat selection area, and bounced back out (without even selecting a seat), and the baggage allowance updated. It was repeatable on the other reservations. Quite odd.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for sharing. Very encouraging.

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
On Thursday and Friday early mornings I held and then called in to book 4 AAdvantage awards operated by QR. I initially saw no bag allowances. I performed a "manage bookings" on the QR site, and still saw no allowance. I then went into seat selection area, and bounced back out (without even selecting a seat), and the baggage allowance updated. It was repeatable on the other reservations. Quite odd.
I assumed you ticketed the awards before returning to QR Manage Booking? Did you ask agent to verify the baggage allowance when you call to book?
Old Nov 27, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
I assumed you ticketed the awards before returning to QR Manage Booking? Did you ask agent to verify the baggage allowance when you call to book?
During ticketing, I mentioned that there have been some issues with baggage allowances on ticketing, and she said "you should be fine." I did not push the issue, but became fearful when I received an email confirmation from QR showing "BUSINESS(U)- Not Included," which I am assuming was the bags. When I pulled up the record on QR website, it showed on the summary page under the "Class/Checked Baggage allowance" table header as BUSINESS(U), with nothing underneath it. So I went in to assign seat, and came back out, the summary page updated showing the baggage allowance under the "BUSINESS(U)". I then selected "E-mail trip summary," so now I have email proof of a baggage allowance on QR "paper."

I am comfortable with this as proof (which was not initially there):

Happy and hurnik like this.

Last edited by WannaTheater; Nov 27, 2023 at 5:09 pm
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Just one more data point...I had two QR award ticket issued 2 days ago with AA miles (AKL-DOH-OSL), but no mention of baggage showed up anywhere. Yesterday I texted AA on X (formerly known as Twitter) and the team resolved it in a couple of hours. They said it was a known issue but thanked me for reaching out to them. They contacted QR and AA reissued the tickets, now with all the appropriate bags showing up in the QR site. Thanks to everyone here for helping me avoid a problem!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.