Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Old Jul 17, 2023, 3:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Antarius
Again, we're in the semantics of analogies while completely missing the point. Given that QR doesn't have an F fare without luggage, there is no "needing to sort out any issues" that should be necessary. Expedia doesn't explicitly call out the requirement of there being a sink in a hotel room bathroom - It's assumed that it exists as there is no other option.
AA is not seling a QR F fare - it is selling its own fare for travel on QR. It doesn't matter whether QR has a fare that doesn't offer baggage since it is an AA fare that is being used

The only party that is seemingly unable to issue its tickets correctly is AA - it isn't QR's fault and quite correct that where there is a ticketing problem that the customer be referred back to the issuing party
rayfoxii likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 17, 2023 at 3:48 am
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA is not seling a QR F fare - it is selling its own fare for travel on QR. It doesn't matter whether QR has a fare that doesn't offer baggage since it is an AA fare that is being used

The only party that is seemingly unable to issue its tickets correctly is AA - it isn't QR's fault and quite correct that where there is a ticketing problem that the customer be referred back to the issuing party
We're going in circles.

It's the difference between throwing your hands up and saying "can't do it" vs finding a solution that takes minimal effort. The former is the DMV, the latter is any customer success focused organization. It's clear which side I stand on.
MarkOK and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by scubadu
My takeaway from this thread, after almost 150+ posts, is that I'm absolutely gobsmacked at the number of people that apparently check bags....
Regards
I do not check luggage except, perhaps, 1 bag out of 100 flights, but Qatar also has rules for cabin/carry-on luggage. What would be the hand luggage limit for this AA award in J? Economy is 7 kg (1 piece) and Business is 15 kg (total for 2 pieces)?
QR does not have J airfare without a luggage allowance but folks are still having problems.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA ExP, DL, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Alex_I
I do not check luggage except, perhaps, 1 bag out of 100 flights, but Qatar also has rules for cabin/carry-on luggage. What would be the hand luggage limit for this AA award in J? Economy is 7 kg (1 piece) and Business is 15 kg (total for 2 pieces)?
QR does not have J airfare without a luggage allowance but folks are still having problems.
At least in my case, my hand baggage allowance was correct when I pulled up my PNR on the MH website even though I initially had no endorsement for checked baggage. 2 pieces / 15 kg total + a small personal item is accurate.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by shellyphl
At least in my case, my hand baggage allowance was correct when I pulled up my PNR on the MH website even though I initially had no endorsement for checked baggage. 2 pieces / 15 kg total + a small personal item is accurate.
Yes, MH website is great - very easy to navigate. When I pulled my QR itinerary on MH.com it showedCHECKED BAG (40 KG) Most Significant Carrier is QR (Qatar Airways)‎

Carry-on Bag, 2 Free, CARRY 7KG 15 LB

The problem is I do not see this on either aa.com or QR website.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I
Yes, MH website is great - very easy to navigate. When I pulled my QR itinerary on MH.com it showedCHECKED BAG (40 KG) Most Significant Carrier is QR (Qatar Airways)‎

Carry-on Bag, 2 Free, CARRY 7KG 15 LB

The problem is I do not see this on either aa.com or QR website.
After my 2.25 hr saga with AA EXP desk and Twitter, this is what my QR website passenger details shows:

It did not have the 40 kg listed before I spoke with the AA agents and the OW liaison and just said "Business."
hurnik and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ongoing: Talked to AA reservation who stated "allowance"; then talked to Supervisor, whom I explained same thing again and asked to go thru OW liaison desk.
Without further explanation he connected me to QR reservation. After over an hour on the phone I hung up, knowing that QR wouldn't touch this AA-generated ticket.

Back to square one!
Old Jul 29, 2023, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by riced
It does (40kg pp), thank you! Unless someone has a better fix, I'll print out the Malaysian confirmation and hope that is enough. At least I'm not flying out of BKK, but AA really should sort this out...thanks to the OP for alerting us.
what does it look like? Mine looks like this, does it mean I have 2 free 25kg checked bags?

Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly
what does it look like? Mine looks like this, does it mean I have 2 free 25kg checked bags?
That clearly shows that you have an entitlement of 25Kg checked baggage allowance plus a carry on allowance of 1 piece of max 7Kg

You are not limited by number of pieces - you could have any number of bags , just that ylou are limited to a total weight of 25Kg

There are 2 colums,one for the Male to Doha flight and one for Doha to Athens flight - each has the same allowance
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That clearly shows that you have an entitlement of 25Kg checked baggage allowance plus a carry on allowance of 1 piece of max 7Kg

You are not limited by number of pieces - you could have any number of bags , just that ylou are limited to a total weight of 25Kg

There are 2 colums,one for the Male to Doha flight and one for Doha to Athens flight - each has the same allowance
So I see that info on Malaysia Air, however, when I'm on QR, I don't see any available checked bags like others have shown.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:19 pm

So I see that info on Malaysia Air, however, when I'm on QR, I don't see any available checked bags like others have shown.
Yeah, my details showed up like that on the MH site when I did NOT have the appropriate baggage endorsements and didn't look any different when I successfully had the appropriate endorsements added. When you're on an itinerary with a weighted baggage allowance rather than an allowance for a specific number of bags, the MH site isn't as helpful. I wouldn't be confident until you see something change in your QR passenger details.

As an aside, I inferred from my multiple calls to AA that this is an issue with QR itineraries that don't include a US segment. They got my baggage endorsements right on my separate DOH - US booking so my DP of one supports this .
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:36 pm

Yeah, my details showed up like that on the MH site when I did NOT have the appropriate baggage endorsements and didn't look any different when I successfully had the appropriate endorsements added. When you're on an itinerary with a weighted baggage allowance rather than an allowance for a specific number of bags, the MH site isn't as helpful. I wouldn't be confident until you see something change in your QR passenger details.

As an aside, I inferred from my multiple calls to AA that this is an issue with QR itineraries that don't include a US segment. They got my baggage endorsements right on my separate DOH - US booking so my DP of one supports this .
If thats the case Im assuming its telling me I can pay for a bag up to max of 25kg and as many times as I want.

I need at least one checked bag, anyone know if you book for QR via BA youll get QRs baggage allowance ?

edit: You might wonder why not book QR directly? Household account currently has 10k Avios that I want to use and those Avios wont transfer to QR if youre not the account holder of said Avios. If you want to do QR family account you need to upload a lot of proof and its a hassle.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:53 pm

I need at least one checked bag, anyone know if you book for QR via BA youll get QRs baggage allowance ?
Since I'm not aware of any QR partner award fares that are hand baggage only, you likely DO have a free checked baggage allowance endorsement that AA didn't properly attach to your booking when issuing the ticket. You may need to call a few times to get an agent, and a OW liaison, who understand your issue and how to fix it. I finally had success by firmly instructing a Twitter agent what I needed them to do.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 4:19 pm

Since I'm not aware of any QR partner award fares that are hand baggage only, you likely DO have a free checked baggage allowance endorsement that AA didn't properly attach to your booking when issuing the ticket. You may need to call a few times to get an agent, and a OW liaison, who understand your issue and how to fix it. I finally had success by firmly instructing a Twitter agent what I needed them to do.
what was the exact instruction aside from asking them to properly issue it with baggage allowance ?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 4:40 pm

what was the exact instruction aside from asking them to properly issue it with baggage allowance ?

That was pretty much all I asked, you'll see I had to repeat my request twice. I was on the line with an ExP agent at the same time, since Twitter doesn't always get a quick reply, and they could see the Twitter agent doing their thing in my reservation. Here's the Twitter transcript:

shellyphl: Hello, my business class award ticket XXXXXX does not have a checked baggage allowance endorsement section on the confirmation. A Qatar Airways agent confirms that there's not checked baggage allowance attached to my ticket. Can you re-issue the ticket with the correct checked baggage allowance endorsements added?

AA Twitter: From the looks of things, there aren't any free checked bags included in your reservation. We've double-checked on the weight restriction, and you're allowed 40kgs.

s: So I do have an allowance of 40 kgs of checked baggage?

s: I can't find that reflected on my confirmation, only an allowance of 2 carry on bags.

AA: That's correct, and keep in mind any corresponding charges will be applicable.

s: I'm not clear on what you're telling me. Do I have a free checked baggage allowance of 40 kgs or will I be charged for checked baggage? It does not make sense that a business class ticket doesn't include baggage. During check out on the AA website it listed 2 free checked bags but that isn't reflected in my confirmation email.

s: I'd like my itinerary to be re-ticketed with the correct baggage allowance endorsement attached.

AA: We've had the ticket reissued showing the weight allowance. A quick refresh of the app will show this update.

s: Thank you, I appreciate the help.

s: I can confirm the app shows this update. Once again, I very much appreciate the help.

AA: You're very welcome!
foryoureyesonly likes this.

Last edited by shellyphl; Jul 29, 2023 at 4:41 pm Reason: formatting

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.