Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Old Jul 15, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
My takeaway from this thread, after almost 150+ posts, is that I'm absolutely gobsmacked at the number of people that apparently check bags....

Regards
Old Jul 15, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by scubadu
My takeaway from this thread, after almost 150+ posts, is that I'm absolutely gobsmacked at the number of people that apparently check bags....

Regards
The check in counters at every airport with bag scales didn't give it away?
knit-in, mrow, Speedbird84 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
The check in counters at every airport with bag scales didn't give it away?
Afraid I rarely use the check-in counters. Wife and I frequently travel for month+ at a time, all over the world, carry on only. Many here will moan that its not possible, but in most cases (though obviously not all) its absolutely possible. How do I know that? Because my wife used to swear it was impossible. Now she does it as a matter of routine...

Regards

P.S. I should add that this does not, in anyway, excuse this giant cluster between AA and QR. These fares should absolutely come with a baggage allowance unless it was very clearly stated upfront that its a hand baggage only fare or something.

Last edited by scubadu; Jul 15, 2023 at 10:03 am
Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriot Gold, HHonors Gold
This thread kind of reminds of the issue I had with an AA-issued ticket on BA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...allowance.html

Back then AA issued the ticket multiple times to make the baggage allowance "appear" but they couldn't get it done. I wonder if this is just an tech issue how OW members exchange information between airlines, rather than an AA issue.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Afraid I rarely use the check-in counters. Wife and I frequently travel for month+ at a time, all over the world, carry on only. Many here will moan that its not possible, but in most cases (though obviously not all) its absolutely possible. How do I know that? Because my wife used to swear it was impossible. Now she does it as a matter of routine...

Regards

P.S. I should add that this does not, in anyway, excuse this giant cluster between AA and QR. These fares should absolutely come with a baggage allowance unless it was very clearly stated upfront that its a hand baggage only fare or something.
Oh I think it's totally possible, I just haven't been convinced it's worth it. 99% of the time, the checked baggage thing works just fine (lost/delayed bags, this QR thing, etc is a 1% of the time sort of problem), and I rather like having changes of clean clothes readily at hand when traveling.
mrow, ZenFlyer and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by kromix
Question on this baggage allowance - Since I am checking bags in Japan, are they transferring my bags from JAL to Qatar Airways to my final destination, or do I need to pickup my bags and re-check them with Qatar Airways during my 15 hour layover in Bangkok?

I see no baggage allowance, and neither does the Qatar 1-800 support agent. When I call AA, AA tells me the baggage will be transfered from Japan Airlines to Qatar and I never touch them even though im in bangkok for 15 hours. Is this accurate?

1 AA Award Ticket with long layover:
Japan Airlines Depart HND 12:45 AM - Arrive BKK 5:00 AM
Qatar Airways Depart BKK 9:05 PM - Arrive DOH 11:55 PM
Qatar Airways Depart DOH 12:55 AM - Arrive DXB 3:15 AM

Bumping this - anyone have any insight on this?
Old Jul 15, 2023, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no reason to think that JL will not check the bags through to Dubai
Old Jul 16, 2023, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is definitely possible, just not something I'm particularly keen on. Never know if I want my black shoes, brown ones or whether I want a bow tie, suspenders, three piece or just shorts. Even if I'm gone for 3 days, I usually have a large bag.

Agreed. And since J/F fares without checked luggage don't exist, even if there is an IT issue, there should be a memo across the OW airlines to use common sense.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 4:26 pm

Agreed. And since J/F fares without checked luggage don't exist, even if there is an IT issue, there should be a memo across the OW airlines to use common sense.
This isn't true - Within OneWorld Finnair Business Light fares have no checked baggage allowance for example

This seems purely an AA issue and for AA to fix - there is no 'cpmmon sense' approach in expecting contractors to start guessing what AA might really have meant when it sold a ticket
Old Jul 16, 2023, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This isn't true - Within OneWorld Finnair Business Light fares have no checked baggage allowance for example

This seems purely an AA issue and for AA to fix - there is no 'cpmmon sense' approach in expecting contractors to start guessing what AA might really have meant when it sold a ticket
We're discussing QR here. AY light can be carved out much like BA's hand baggage only Y.

You're the only one struggling with this. To everyone else here, it appears that it is pretty straightforward - F has luggage.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 6:13 pm

We're discussing QR here. AY light can be carved out much like BA's hand baggage only Y.

You're the only one struggling with this. To everyone else here, it appears that it is pretty straightforward - F has luggage.
No - you stated that all J/F fares all have a baggage allowance - such a memorandum would be untrue. You seem to be struggling with the idea that the issue is purely an AA issue with issuing tickets. It isn't up to every other airline to work around AA's failures but up to AA to fix its problems
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No - you stated that all J/F fares all have a baggage allowance - such a memorandum would be untrue.
And adding a single sentence carveout is so difficult?

You seem to be struggling with the idea that the issue is purely an AA issue with issuing tickets. It isn't up to every other airline to work around AA's failures but up to AA to fix its problems
I'm aware that it is an IT issue and that should be solved. However, having designed and worked on complex IT systems, stuff happens even in the best of cases. The customer shouldn't be forced to take the brunt of an IT issue, on a simple , basic thing that anyone can apply half an ounce of brain power to.

If you applied this logic to life, it would be so frustrating. POS system at a restaurant can't ring up the new wine they have in stock? Sorry NO WINE FOR YOU? Instead, they ring it up as an adjustment or pick another wine at the same price. Common Sense.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Platinum, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Alex_I
Thank you! I did select the seats but my passenger details still shows only "Business" and nothing about baggage. My wife (also EXP) did try to fix this by calling AA but was not successful so far.
My upcoming booking was showing the exact same thing, Business and nothing about baggage. I logged into the QR website with my flight info, and saw the same thing. A box popped up asking me to add contact info to the booking (email + phone number), and after I did that, hit refresh, and the then the 2 pieces showed up. Not sure if that will work for you, but maybe worth a try!

Also adding that my email confirmation from AA does show 2 pieces of checked baggage at the bottom.

Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:22 pm

And adding a single sentence carveout is so difficult?

I'm aware that it is an IT issue and that should be solved. However, having designed and worked on complex IT systems, stuff happens even in the best of cases. The customer shouldn't be forced to take the brunt of an IT issue, on a simple , basic thing that anyone can apply half an ounce of brain power to.

If you applied this logic to life, it would be so frustrating. POS system at a restaurant can't ring up the new wine they have in stock? Sorry NO WINE FOR YOU? Instead, they ring it up as an adjustment or pick another wine at the same price. Common Sense.
Analogy wise it isn't even close. Going to a restaurant and it having a problem with its own infrastructure is very different to buying a service from retailer 1 that is to be redeemed at retailer 2 and then expecting retailer 2 to sort out any issues that the 1st retailer had setting up the sevrice request

If this had been an award ticket for travel on QR that was issued by QR, then absolutely, I would expect QR to fix the issue
DiamondMile and rayfoxii like this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Analogy wise it isn't even close. Going to a restaurant and it having a problem with its own infrastructure is very different to buying a service from retailer 1 that is to be redeemed at retailer 2 and then expecting retailer 2 to sort out any issues that the 1st retailer had setting up the sevrice request

If this had been an award ticket for travel on QR that was issued by QR, then absolutely, I would expect QR to fix the issue
Again, we're in the semantics of analogies while completely missing the point. Given that QR doesn't have an F fare without luggage, there is no "needing to sort out any issues" that should be necessary. Expedia doesn't explicitly call out the requirement of there being a sink in a hotel room bathroom - It's assumed that it exists as there is no other option.
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.