Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

AA Qatar Award buyer beware (ensure baggage allowance)

Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Happy
All I wrote was to tell the poster who was thinking about whether AA would compensate had the OP paid the baggage fee - that the OP did NOT pay but flew on another program's award.
S.R already understood that. This was obvious from the counterfactual phrasing:
Originally Posted by S.R
Curious if the OP had paid the $1500 checked bag fees so they could fly, how much luck they would have had in getting reimbursed by AA because this was a mistake on their end.
This is exactly how English expresses a question about a scenario other than what actually happened. S.R clearly showed their understanding that OP didn't actually pay the baggage fee. I believe your comment reflected a lack of comprehension of S.R's post.

S.R didn't say: "Curious since the OP paid the $1500 checked bag fees so they could fly, how much luck they will have in getting reimbursed by AA because this was a mistake on their end." (That phrasing would have shown that they thought OP paid the fee, and would have called for a comment like yours -- see what I did there? -- that's how counterfactuals work.)

There was zero reason to admonish S.R to "reread" anything.
LETTERBOY and S.R like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:01 am

Update on my situation. I contacted Qatar through their online chat. They confirmed that there is no checked baggage allowance on my booking made through AA. Qatar said they can not do anything about it, AA has to fix it. So I was correct, the screenshot I posted above represents no checked bags.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mdg4spurs
Update on my situation. I contacted Qatar through their online chat. They confirmed that there is no checked baggage allowance on my booking made through AA. Qatar said they can not do anything about it, AA has to fix it. So I was correct, the screenshot I posted above represents no checked bags.
Very good info to have, especially since I'm planning to book a Qatar award later this year. Glad you found out now, so you can hopefully fix it. Keep us updated.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I seem to recall that with the similar issue with EY , that I have read that there has been successgetting AA to reissue ticket and getting baggage allowance to show

I think that contacting QR ticketing and customer service would lead to both referring back to the issuing carrier.

Other then knowing to check bookings are ok at time of ticketing so as to have no time constraints , not sure what can be done - the OP seemed to have a decent amount of time, so might have in position ( if there is such as service at the airport ) to send using a shipping company

The OP was fortunate in having other miles to use and there benng availability on other carriers

Would be good if AA was to fix the root cause
You are quite correct that there used to be (maybe still is) an issue with AA award travel booked on EY. I want to say it was about the year prior to COVID (I had booked EY apartments for a Maldives honeymoon trip that never happened due to COVID), so I remember seeing/reading about the whole fiasco back then. It is "good" in one sense to read about the issue here so that hopefully others can be made aware of this issue with AA/QR bookings and how to check. Now, how to *fix* is a different problem it seems.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:54 am

Okay, issue resolved. I’d like to sincerely thank Delta141 for bringing this to my attention, I had no idea it was an issue. If you booked a flight on Qatar through AA look up your booking on Qatar’s web site. Under Passenger Details if it does not show a weight under you booking class you do not have a checked baggage allowance. Mine now says "First 50kg".

First I chatted with Qatar via their website:
Qatar: Upon checking the booking, there is no baggage allowance allocated. Kindly contact AA to advise you on the baggage allowance.

I then chatted with AA via their app:
Me: I booked a flight on Qatar thru AAdvantage. Qatar says I have no checked baggage allowance.
AA: My help desk is working on it and you will be allowed 2 checked bags at 70lbs/person.
Me: Can I get that in writing.
AA: There is no way to get it in writing but the help desk is adding it to your ticket and reservation.
AA: We are almost through she is speaking to the pricing desk.
AA: We are done. The weight is actually 2pcs at 50lbs/bag.

BTW, this took over an hour with most of the chat just being “still here”.

Then I went back to Qatar
Me: Can you verify that AA correctly added a checked baggage allowance to booking #####.
Qatar: Please note the baggage allowance as per the booking is 50kg and a hand baggage allowance of 2pieces of 15KG
Me: Great thanks. (just about to celebrate success and close the chat when…)
Qatar: Please do not leave the chat
Qatar: May I know how many passengers are in the booking .
Me: two passengers.
Qatar: Please reach American airline since [Passenger 1] ticket is exchanged and has no details

At this point I have not gone back to AA. Everything looks fine when I check the booking. I’ll give it a day or so and deal with it then if necessary. The best part is Qatar emails a summary of the chat. So I have it in writing in an email from Qatar that I have a checked baggage allowance.

Quick follow up. Details lost in the exchange were DOB, gender and passport. I was a able to just add the info and all good.

Last edited by mdg4spurs; Jun 30, 2023 at 11:09 am Reason: follow up
Old Jun 30, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: Mileageplus
What an absurd amount of time one has to spend to get the baggage allowances showing correctly from AA to QR (or EY, for that matter). Should AA not be embarrassed about this or do they think it is absolutely normal for their travelers to have to do all this followup work and double check AA's accuracy on the tickets they issue? It is also absurd that AA cannot provide all of this information, clearly and consistently written on an E-ticket whenever it is requested.
chocolate_button likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 1:49 pm

From what I can tell the issue is AA does baggage allowance by number of bags. Qatar does baggage allowance by weight. And two bags doesn't translate well in kg. Obviously AA should fix something in the system to recognize and address the issue. I also think some fault falls on Qatar. They should have something in their system that defaults to the proper baggage allowance for First Class.

In the end I can't really complain. I'm flying around the world in business and first class using point/miles with minimal out of pocket costs. That's the way that game works. You pay in time spent rather than cash. Had I paid cash for the ticket and had to deal with this I would feel very different.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is not the issue - AA has no problem issuing tickers on carriers where baggage allowance is in line with the carrier.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
This thread is spicy.

I sincerely appreciate the OPs clear breakdown of what happened.
Say what you will about the technical aspects and "who" is at fault and 'who' should have verified what, I must say I am real reluctant to fly any airline that is so strict with rules and so 'disinterested' on the ground that I'd be possibly in the OP's ridiculous position. To me, there appears to be a lot about how QR handles things on the ground that is the antithesis of a 'great airline'.
eefor jfp likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: AAL EXP
Originally Posted by mdg4spurs
Okay, issue resolved. Id like to sincerely thank Delta141 for bringing this to my attention, I had no idea it was an issue. If you booked a flight on Qatar through AA look up your booking on Qatars web site. Under Passenger Details if it does not show a weight under you booking class you do not have a checked baggage allowance. Mine now says "First 50kg".

First I chatted with Qatar via their website:
Qatar: Upon checking the booking, there is no baggage allowance allocated. Kindly contact AA to advise you on the baggage allowance.

I then chatted with AA via their app:
Me: I booked a flight on Qatar thru AAdvantage. Qatar says I have no checked baggage allowance.
AA: My help desk is working on it and you will be allowed 2 checked bags at 70lbs/person.
Me: Can I get that in writing.
AA: There is no way to get it in writing but the help desk is adding it to your ticket and reservation.
AA: We are almost through she is speaking to the pricing desk.
AA: We are done. The weight is actually 2pcs at 50lbs/bag.

BTW, this took over an hour with most of the chat just being still here.

Then I went back to Qatar
Me: Can you verify that AA correctly added a checked baggage allowance to booking #####.
Qatar: Please note the baggage allowance as per the booking is 50kg and a hand baggage allowance of 2pieces of 15KG
Me: Great thanks. (just about to celebrate success and close the chat when)
Qatar: Please do not leave the chat
Qatar: May I know how many passengers are in the booking .
Me: two passengers.
Qatar: Please reach American airline since [Passenger 1] ticket is exchanged and has no details

At this point I have not gone back to AA. Everything looks fine when I check the booking. Ill give it a day or so and deal with it then if necessary. The best part is Qatar emails a summary of the chat. So I have it in writing in an email from Qatar that I have a checked baggage allowance.

Quick follow up. Details lost in the exchange were DOB, gender and passport. I was a able to just add the info and all good.
Thank you for your comments. I am scheduled to fly Qatar on an award ticket in J class; however, as you mentioned, no luggage allowance was displayed on the QR website. I called AA EXP desk and advised of my concern about my Qatar luggage allowance. The agent contacted the One World liaison who acknowledged the issue and is arranging for the re-issue of my tickets showing the allowance. Your "script" worked perfectly!!
logicalrealist likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
This thread is spicy.

I sincerely appreciate the OPs clear breakdown of what happened.
Say what you will about the technical aspects and "who" is at fault and 'who' should have verified what, I must say I am real reluctant to fly any airline that is so strict with rules and so 'disinterested' on the ground that I'd be possibly in the OP's ridiculous position. To me, there appears to be a lot about how QR handles things on the ground that is the antithesis of a 'great airline'.
I think that you are confusing disinterested with uninterested.

Most airlines are going to pass ticketing issues back to the issuing location. This is not special to Qatar. As far as it goes, Qatar was simply charging baggage fees based on its published tariffs.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by riced
Paying $1500 and claiming back from AA-never gonna happen.
Not sure I agree. AA not re-issuing the ticket correctly would be an easy small claims court case if it came to that.
moondog, Antarius and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that you are confusing disinterested with uninterested.

Most airlines are going to pass ticketing issues back to the issuing location. This is not special to Qatar. As far as it goes, Qatar was simply charging baggage fees based on its published tariffs.
I'd be interested if you could actually show me the PUBLISHED QR F fare you claim exists without a baggage allowance. I can't find anything on expert flyer. What's the fare code?
It's quite clear that Qatar likes the benefits of being in oneworld but not the responsibilities. it's also clear that there seems to be a very small niche in the world where first class fares might not have a baggage allowance and that niche is in Qatar and the UAE (specifically, with QR and EY). No other airline I've ever heard of has this problem, so although AA seems to bear a large part of the responsibility with its systems issuing tickets that are missing an explicit baggage allowance, it also seems like no other carrier anywhere is a stickler for these rules. Every other carrier understands that first class tickets always have baggage allowances. Only QR and EY do not. And I also agree with those that say that it would be easy for QR to issue a waiver to their agents worldwide for these award tickets from AA but they apparently choose not to, since they want the benefits of being in oneworld but not the responsibilities. Everything I've ever read or heard about QR says that they're a wonderful airline in the air but God help you if anything goes wrong because their customer service is non-existent. So, buyer, beware.
Antarius, MarkOK and csycsycsy like this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:31 am

Thanks to all on this thread for the advice. Have a QR award (4 seats SIN-DOH in Y) in a few months time and noticed the missing baggage allowance (despite AA Platinum/OW Sapphire status as well). Went through several lengthy calls and chat sessions with no resolution and AA claiming everything was fine (and that regardless of what the ticket said, my OW Sapphire status would give me baggage).

I followed a similar script on the phone and finally got an AAdvantage agent on the 4th call who spoke with OneWorld and then worked with the rate desk to manually add the baggage allowance and re-issue the ticket. Confirmed on the Qatar website/manage booking and by calling directly that they see the updated allowance (1 bag per passenger).

For those who are also stuck, keep trying and press the agents that this is a known issue and they can reach out to OneWorld for more information and work with the ticketing/rate desk to get it fixed.
1kprem, aj411, ZenFlyer and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
I'd be interested if you could actually show me the PUBLISHED QR F fare you claim exists without a baggage allowance. I can't find anything on expert flyer. What's the fare code?
It is irrelevant- the passenger was NOT buying a QR fare, but bought an AA fare
If the person had bought a QR fare from QR, then there would not have been an issue - or ifthere was, QR would have been responsible for fixing it
DiamondMile and hhdl like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.