Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (Be aware of possible upgrade priority changes as of Loyalty Points becoming the qualifier for rewards)

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. EQD earned, possibly changing to Loyalty Points earned, in the past 12 months (rolling) as far as we know today
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.

For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Well, well. DCA-ORD just now cleared for today's flight. It was F4 or F5 for at least two days and I guess revenue management gave up and upgraded a bunch of us. Its now F1.
Same route tomorrow evening and just cleared (PLT) at T-27, was relatively confident given the upgrade offer never wavered at $97, but we did go from J14/C8 on Monday to J5/C2 this morning which almost had me pulling the trigger.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
8/31 dfw-CLT #2 out of 15 for 0 F seats
9/1 CLT-CHS cleared at gate (CR9)
9/1 CHS-Dfw #2 out of 22 for 0 F seats
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Well, well. DCA-ORD just now cleared for today's flight. It was F4 or F5 for at least two days and I guess revenue management gave up and upgraded a bunch of us. Its now F1.
This gives me great hope as a Platinum who has been left at the top of the upgrade list on departure on this very route -- flying it both ways in just a couple weeks!
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
JFK-PHX Midday 9/1 (738): 15 on the list with one clearing. Was J7 with ~8-9 seats open around 10 days out until TODs came into play at $247. Quickly went down to J3 just before the EP window. Ended up up-faring both segments for just over $309.

PHX-LGB Evening 9/1 (CR9): Wide open at the EP window. Went out with 10 on the list and one clearing.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by js1993
That's good. For some reason, I thought you were in PE already, but being upgraded to PE, if available right before departure, is something of an unpublished perk for EXP. I thought it was only for EXP whose SWU or other upgrade request didn't clear at the gate, but maybe it's always been more liberal. Hope you and your wife have a great trip.
Flying JFK-GRU in 2018, I asked the AC if they could upgrade me from Y to a basically empty PE cabin and they were happy to oblige.

On the return, the people at the GRU AC couldn't (or wouldn't) do it.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
Flying JFK-GRU in 2018, I asked the AC if they could upgrade me from Y to a basically empty PE cabin and they were happy to oblige.
This has me thinking what to do moving forward when booking transatlantic flights. Since AA has now yanked all C availability for future flights I was thinking of spending another $300 upcharge from MCE to PE as a stop gap measure to at least assure me if those system worthless upgrades don’t clear at least I’m in PE. BUT what if I book MCE and can get PE gratis. It’s a crap shoot.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by enviroian
This has me thinking what to do moving forward when booking transatlantic flights. Since AA has now yanked all C availability for future flights I was thinking of spending another $300 upcharge from MCE to PE as a stop gap measure to at least assure me if those system worthless upgrades don’t clear at least I’m in PE. BUT what if I book MCE and can get PE gratis. It’s a crap shoot.
Where are you seeing transatlantic PE for only $300 more than MCE? It's always $1,000+ on the routes I check. Have you been getting cheaper buy-up offers after booking MCE?
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where are you seeing transatlantic PE for only $300 more than MCE? It's always $1,000+ on the routes I check. Have you been getting cheaper buy-up offers after booking MCE?
I’m somewhat remembering from past experience but maybe the delta was more but definitely I’ve never seen PE $1k more than MCE on flights to London
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by enviroian
I’m somewhat remembering from past experience but maybe the delta was more but definitely I’ve never seen PE $1k more than MCE on flights to London
PE is consistently ~$1,000 more on JFK-LHR now.

In a classic example of AA being AA, it will be about $1,000 more during the first booking pages, but then the pre-payment upsell will often say something like "Move to PE for $1,900."
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PE is consistently ~$1,000 more on JFK-LHR now.

In a classic example of AA being AA, it will be about $1,000 more during the first booking pages, but then the pre-payment upsell will often say something like "Move to PE for $1,900."
if I am going to pay up sell for PE of a grand then I’ll gladly give it to BA and fly the beluga over the pond (and probably get more loyalty points too)
js1993 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
And now ORD-DCA cleared. 5 hours prior to departure.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying to CUN today. I’m 2 out of 14 for 1 seat.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
Tomorrow 9/3

OKC-DFW A321

DFW-BZN 738

Both flights cleared at the 72-hour Platinum pro window. I pre-ordered the shrimp salad on my flight to Bozeman.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
08/31/2022
LAX to LAS - Upgraded at T100
LAS to LAX - #1 on waitlist, no one cleared as all F seats got booked
Both flights were booked BE.
ryanbriar and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just before door closure agent comes to me in 8A and brings me up to 2C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.