Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (Be aware of possible upgrade priority changes as of Loyalty Points becoming the qualifier for rewards)

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. EQD earned, possibly changing to Loyalty Points earned, in the past 12 months (rolling) as far as we know today
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.

For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 7:51 pm

Lowly Gold here - Don't fly/spend enough, but managed to just barely get gold status this year. Was shocked when I got cleared about 16 hours prior for AUS-ORD on a 737 for a trip on 6/10. My wife was traveling with me on a separate reservation and we might have had to have marriage counseling after that discovery. Ended up we cleared standby for a flight about an hour and a half earlier on a 175, last seats were a coach and a business class, so I cleared that as well.
aztimm and ryanbriar like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
2 out of 6 for 0 seats to DFW from PVR today.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MrGoalie
Lowly Gold here - Don't fly/spend enough, but managed to just barely get gold status this year. Was shocked when I got cleared about 16 hours prior for AUS-ORD on a 737 for a trip on 6/10. My wife was traveling with me on a separate reservation and we might have had to have marriage counseling after that discovery. Ended up we cleared standby for a flight about an hour and a half earlier on a 175, last seats were a coach and a business class, so I cleared that as well.
Should buy some lotto tickets while you’re at it!

Did you fork over your business seat?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
Does anyone have recent experience upgrading from paid J to F on JFK-LAX routings? I'm trying to upgrade using BXP1 certificates on some bookings and they're all waitlisted. How soon do they clear if at all?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by interactfx
Does anyone have recent experience upgrading from paid J to F on JFK-LAX routings? I'm trying to upgrade using BXP1 certificates on some bookings and they're all waitlisted. How soon do they clear if at all?
I had my BXP1 from Y to J clear on this route at T-100 hours last Friday.
Also had BXP1 from J to F clear on this route in early January 2022 around T-100.

Both of these were at around F7 J7 when I booked the tickets.
interactfx likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (EXP/LP=355k), Marriott (PLAT-E)
I’ve been keeping an eye on the seats available in an upcoming flight. The flight is next week and as of today, the flight is no longer showing up in the AA app when searching for the departure/arrival flight for that date. The app does show other 1 stop flights for that date, but not mine. Also, not showing up on Google flights. My itinerary still shows the flight scheduled. EF shows at least a couple empty seats in all cabins. Am I missing something or is this some kind of glitch?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kenk85
I’ve been keeping an eye on the seats available in an upcoming flight. The flight is next week and as of today, the flight is no longer showing up in the AA app when searching for the departure/arrival flight for that date. The app does show other 1 stop flights for that date, but not mine. Also, not showing up on Google flights. My itinerary still shows the flight scheduled. EF shows at least a couple empty seats in all cabins. Am I missing something or is this some kind of glitch?
Is your flight J/ Y 0? If so, then I don’t think the app will show fully sold-out flights. If this is the case, open seats means pax haven’t received seat assignments.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Is your flight J/ Y 0? If so, then I don’t think the app will show fully sold-out flights. If this is the case, open seats means pax haven’t received seat assignments.
I haven’t figured out expert flyer, other than looking up a flight and seeing number of seats listed as available. If that’s how you figure out “J/Y 0”, then it is not. It shows 2 F, 3 PE, and ~25-30 Y available. I feel like I’m missing something though.

ORD-ATH
AA160
6/21

Last edited by kenk85; Jun 12, 2022 at 7:15 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
I haven’t figured out expert flyer, other than looking up a flight and seeing number of seats listed as available. If that’s how you figure out “J/Y 0”, then it is not. It shows 2 F, 3 PE, and ~25-30 Y available. I feel like I’m missing something though.

ORD-ATH
AA160
6/21
No, the SEAT MAP is showing 2 BUSINESS, 3 PE and a few Y. (They may well be sold - jiust not allocated to a particular person at this time.) Just look at the flight availability screen - it is zeros across the board - i.e. AA is not willing to sell any more seats (in any cabin) on that flight at this time. Generally means already oversold and may need a cabin roll, or even possibly a flight that may be cancelled - although no reason to suspect that at this time.

Last edited by Madison Guy; Jun 12, 2022 at 7:37 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Duplicate post
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
No, the SEAT MAP is showing 2 BUSINESS, 3 PE and a few Y. (They may well be sold - jiust not allocated to a particular person at this time.) Just look at the flight availability screen - it is zeros across the board - i.e. AA is not willing to sell any more seats (in any cabin) on that flight at this time. Generally means already oversold and may need a cabin roll, or even possibly a flight that may be cancelled - although no reason to suspect that at this time.
I’m just using the free version. I’ll take your word for it. It’ll be what it’ll be. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:55 pm

I’m just using the free version. I’ll take your word for it. It’ll be what it’ll be. Thanks.
Yeah, not really sure what the free version shows, but yes, AA is not selling any more seats in any cabin AT THIS TIME for that flight. Keep an eye on it. Cabin roll may be required if it is over-booked and that results in an over-sell at the gate if too many actually show (or have I reversed the terms?) , but it would only happen after requested upgrades were processed and then by status, of course.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Yeah, not really sure what the free version shows, but yes, AA is not selling any more seats in any cabin AT THIS TIME for that flight. Keep an eye on it. Cabin roll may be required if it is over-booked and that results in an over-sell at the gate if too many actually show (or have I reversed the terms?) , but it would only happen after requested upgrades were processed and then by status, of course.
ok thanks. Just to be clear, if I requested an upgrade and haven’t been informed of the upgrade, probably not getting it at this point? Or I would be told at ~72 hrs (I’m PP)?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:37 pm

ok thanks. Just to be clear, if I requested an upgrade and haven’t been informed of the upgrade, probably not getting it at this point? Or I would be told at ~72 hrs (I’m PP)?
Did you request a SWU or miles / co-pay upgrade? Assuming you did (those are the two ways to upgrade on your flight), it can happen at any time irrespective of status upgrade window as the window only applies to complementary upgrades.

Based on the current situation, I’d say it will come down to the gate or within 24 hours of departure.
kenk85 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Kind of a weird question/situation. I have a couple of domestic round-trip flights scheduled where on one leg of each round trip flight I don't want the complimentary upgrade. I see that the upgrade has been automatically requested on all legs. What's the best way to cancel the auto-upgrade request on 2 legs? Can I do that online or does it require a phone call? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.