Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (Be aware of possible upgrade priority changes as of Loyalty Points becoming the qualifier for rewards)

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. EQD earned, possibly changing to Loyalty Points earned, in the past 12 months (rolling) as far as we know today
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.

For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:09 pm

How are folks who are reporting their upgrade results determining their LPs? Are you going by just the raw LP amount shown or also factoring in the carry-over EQDs even though we don't know how those converted to LPs on the backend?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by runnigel
Are people still receiving emails at the time of upgrade?

I have a trip on Thursday (DEN-MIA-GNV). Checked this afternoon and happily found I had been upgraded on both segments. No email received
Not me, my last two u/g I received nada.

All the best, James
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by runnigel
Are people still receiving emails at the time of upgrade?

I have a trip on Thursday (DEN-MIA-GNV). Checked this afternoon and happily found I had been upgraded on both segments. No email received
Originally Posted by Kawliga
I haven’t gotten the emails since March, but I usually check the app more frequently than my email when the upgrade window opens, anyways.
Originally Posted by fdog
Not me, my last two u/g I received nada.

All the best, James
No emails here. Hopefully this isn't another enhancement.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
What status do you have and are you looking for Y —> J or J —> F? Also are you going to use an upgrade instrument or complementary?

BOS-LAX is sometimes easy to clear and sometimes fully sold out in both cabins (especially J) days in advance.

There are often times solid instant upfare offers just after booking.
Im PlatPro hoping for a complimentary one based on status. Company policy only let's me book Y but if the upfare is not bad as you say then I'd definitely consider it. Any thoughts on which flight times might give the best odds? I have EF premium so I can look at for my dates (7/11-7/14) but it's so far out that Im sure a lot can change
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
First 2022 flight coming up on Friday; PVD-DCA-CHS with non-status companion on separate PNR. Both cleared at T-100 without a hitch. No email though.

It's nice not to have to worry about EQDs and not be forced to buy J when upgrades look easy. I already have ~150K non-flying LPs so no need to spend more than I need to on airfare.
Second segment on the return (DCA-PVD) also cleared at ~T-100. First segment (CHS-DCA) shows C1 so not hopeful. But 3/4 so far in advance ain't too shabby!
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Plat
I have been receiving the email, albeit hours after you can see it in the app, when an upgrade occurs at the normal window before checkin. If the upgrade occurs at T-40 (processed at the gate right before boarding), then I have not been receiving an email. I believe it's been at 100%, other than times where I've had to switch flights for delays/cancellations and am put in F at the time of switching flights.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Missed LAS-PHL Friday night red-eye June 3. Only the second one I've missed this year.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kq747
Im PlatPro hoping for a complimentary one based on status. Company policy only let's me book Y but if the upfare is not bad as you say then I'd definitely consider it. Any thoughts on which flight times might give the best odds? I have EF premium so I can look at for my dates (7/11-7/14) but it's so far out that Im sure a lot can change
Got it, and tough to tell. It has been all over the place in my experience. One indicator now is to look at the pricing differential on the app between Y and J. For the longest time BOS-LAX was $599 one way in J, but I’ve recently noticed it’s shifting towards JFK-LAX pricing.

If you can hold off on booking and it’s currently wide open, perhaps wait a bit until you’re closer in to assess the loads. There are drawbacks (potentially increased fare, losing out on the first row of MCE). Lastly, if there is C space, 15k miles + $75 is a good option if you have them.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond
My wife is a lowly Gold and she cleared EWN-CLT at the gate.

On a side note, her CLT-ALB flight was delayed due to weather and once they started boarding, they stopped halfway through, zipped up the plane, and changed a tire without disembarking anyone that had already boarded. Took about an hour but at least they served drinks while those on board waited.
onanisland likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Lastly, if there is C space, 15k miles + $75 is a good option if you have them.
Is this a standard option available after booking main cabin?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kq747
Is this a standard option available after booking main cabin?
Yes, you can apply the upgrade similar to how a SWU would be applied. If there’s no confirmable space, then you are waitlisted.
kq747 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (EXP/LP=355k), Marriott (PLAT-E)
Kinda in the weeds with this question...

When does a status upgrade need to kick in for the upgrade list, specifically? For instance, if I am on a flight at noon on a Friday and I am platinum, but my elite status upgrades to plat pro, would that status have to be upgraded before the various elite status windows open (~120 hours = prior Sunday)? before the new upgrade status window would kick in (72 hours = Tuesday)? at booking? something else?

I ask because my status will likely upgrade at some point during the windows between the statuses ahead of my next flight. Just curious how they sort out the ranking system and when it's locked in. Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Saturday evening upgrades: hard to get

I am Platinum, and upgrades cleared for two flights this past Saturday evening only a day before departure, leaving first class full. Since the flights were so late in the day, I guess people moved up to earlier flights and one of my flights went out with a few empty seats in first class after all (despite showing as full earlier), but the other flight had a long upgrade waitlist and only one person seemed to clear at the gate.

I'm really surprised that it was so hard to clear an upgrade for a Saturday evening flight, but the plane turned out to have families coming back from vacation, so I guess that's what did it.

Just figured I'd share.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by kenk85
Kinda in the weeds with this question...

When does a status upgrade need to kick in for the upgrade list, specifically? For instance, if I am on a flight at noon on a Friday and I am platinum, but my elite status upgrades to plat pro, would that status have to be upgraded before the various elite status windows open (~120 hours = prior Sunday)? before the new upgrade status window would kick in (72 hours = Tuesday)? at booking? something else?

I ask because my status will likely upgrade at some point during the windows between the statuses ahead of my next flight. Just curious how they sort out the ranking system and when it's locked in. Thanks.
your status will update once the flights/LP that improve your status post. Once that happens you probably need to call AA and have them remove then re-add your FFN to get it to pull your new status.
kenk85 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I am Platinum, and upgrades cleared for two flights this past Saturday evening only a day before departure, leaving first class full. Since the flights were so late in the day, I guess people moved up to earlier flights and one of my flights went out with a few empty seats in first class after all (despite showing as full earlier), but the other flight had a long upgrade waitlist and only one person seemed to clear at the gate.

I'm really surprised that it was so hard to clear an upgrade for a Saturday evening flight, but the plane turned out to have families coming back from vacation, so I guess that's what did it.

Just figured I'd share.
anedotally:
1) planes super full front and back. Lots of people paying for front between booking and TOD FCM programs continuing to mature
2) I think the 0 change fee has created more last minute changes and cancellations in general (noticed this anecdotally). Wonder if AA will start to more aggressively overbook front cabins based on stats (felt like they kinda stopped doing this a few years ago when United had their little overbooking fiascos). If they don’t could be good for last minute upgrades…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.