Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (Be aware of possible upgrade priority changes as of Loyalty Points becoming the qualifier for rewards)

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. EQD earned, possibly changing to Loyalty Points earned, in the past 12 months (rolling) as far as we know today
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.

For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Flying to LHR tonight on my own dime, mileage upgrade waitlisted at booking. I put a C award flag on EF. Last week J dipped under 7- to 6 to 5 to 4 last night. This morning i check the Y seat map and my seat is available . Apparently it cleared on its own. Doesn't seem C was ever available, or maybe it was in a flash sense that EF couldn't catch. Do fare based LPs accrue on the copay? Obviously the cc ones do. Thx
Old May 1, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Flying to LHR tonight on my own dime, mileage upgrade waitlisted at booking. I put a C award flag on EF. Last week J dipped under 7- to 6 to 5 to 4 last night. This morning i check the Y seat map and my seat is available . Apparently it cleared on its own. Doesn't seem C was ever available, or maybe it was in a flash sense that EF couldn't catch. Do fare based LPs accrue on the copay? Obviously the cc ones do. Thx
That’s great that you cleared it. Depending on when EF does the query and if AA auto-processes the upgrade list, it will never alert. I usually set up a seat alert on my seat. There’s a thread (maybe the SWU thread) that talks about the mechanics.

Copays and instant upgrades don’t accrue LPs.
Old May 1, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
AA1886 Sunday 5/1 4PM PHL-LAS

28 on upgrade list. 1 cleared. (A321 with 20 F seats.) I was in paid F so don't have any clue about the free upgrades.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
AA 2356 RDU to MIA Thursday 6am

There are 14 empty seats. My spouse and I are both EXP. J7 C7. Was hoping it would have already cleared. But we can each spend $149 to be upgraded!
Old May 2, 2022, 11:01 am

Gold, 1,000 LPs:
3/4 segments cleared, really think I lucked out.

SFO>JFK Sunday morning on A321T: Did not clear and bought up to MCE due to rapidly declining number of aisle/window seats available in the days before departure. IIRC I was #10 (bottom) of upgrade list.
JFK>RIC Sunday early evening on E175: Cleared on check-in for SFO-JFK-RIC. 5 of 12 F seats remained empty.
ORF>JFK Friday early evening on E175: Cleared on check-in. F cabin full.
JFK>SFO Friday evening on A321T. MCE was wide-open before check in, so expected to have MCE for the journey. Unexpectedly cleared into Flagship Business at ~26 hrs upon check-in for ORF-JFK-SFO.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by jdr918
Gold, 1,000 LPs:
3/4 segments cleared, really think I lucked out.

SFO>JFK Sunday morning on A321T: Did not clear and bought up to MCE due to rapidly declining number of aisle/window seats available in the days before departure. IIRC I was #10 (bottom) of upgrade list.
JFK>RIC Sunday early evening on E175: Cleared on check-in for SFO-JFK-RIC. 5 of 12 F seats remained empty.
ORF>JFK Friday early evening on E175: Cleared on check-in. F cabin full.
JFK>SFO Friday evening on A321T. MCE was wide-open before check in, so expected to have MCE for the journey. Unexpectedly cleared into Flagship Business at ~26 hrs upon check-in for ORF-JFK-SFO.
congrats on the JFK>SFO upgrade as a Gold. what a way to kick off your weekend!
ceebee100, SFflyer20 and keyw like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:34 pm

Not sure if this is the right spot. I have an international flight, currently booked PE. I do not have status, but was told it would cost 25,000 miles +$300 to upgrade. However, she stated that I would be on a waitlist.

Does anyone know what that means? Currently there are a ton of business class openings. Does a paid with miles upgrade come before someone with status?
Old May 2, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
PPRO 40k LP
HNL-LAX 3rd on list of 7. First 2 cleared...fml
LAX-JFK 1st on list of 5. First 2 cleared at the gate.
JFK-BWI Cleared T-100+

Last edited by hawkfan7314; May 3, 2022 at 1:00 am
Old May 3, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
I have 3 SWU's expiring 7/31 and trying to use them for a family trip essentially anywhere in July out of SFO or SJC. I've looked at every airport on East Coast and most major cities in Western Europe with no luck aside from SFO-PHX upgrades or CLT-PHL and the rest kaput. Any advice on if/when more seats open up. I am rather naive to C1/J7 jargon. I feel like I'm watching Peyton Manning yelling "Omaha" and trying to figure out the play. Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Vinodavid
I have 3 SWU's expiring 7/31 and trying to use them for a family trip essentially anywhere in July out of SFO or SJC. I've looked at every airport on East Coast and most major cities in Western Europe with no luck aside from SFO-PHX upgrades or CLT-PHL and the rest kaput. Any advice on if/when more seats open up. I am rather naive to C1/J7 jargon. I feel like I'm watching Peyton Manning yelling "Omaha" and trying to figure out the play. Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated.
Just FYI, you do not need to fly with your SWU before the expiration date only that the upgrade itself clears before that date - so you could look for fall/winter flights with availability and book those if that fits your needs. The summer's international travel demand is through the roof with covid restrictions easing abroad, so it'll be pretty hard to find advanced upgrade space. Advice would be to find 77W or 772 planes (they have the higher J capacity) that show J7, waitlist, set up alerts, and cross your fingers. Midweek schedules would probably improve your chances too.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Can anyone with EF tell me the availability on AA2305 on 5/11?

Currently waitlisted for a miles + copay upgrade.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BOSishome
Can anyone with EF tell me the availability on AA2305 on 5/11?

Currently waitlisted for a miles + copay upgrade.
Assuming this is JFK-SFO, F0 and J4.
BOSishome likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Ep 75k LPs

5/6
DTW ORD crj7
ORD DEN 738
5/8
DEN CLT 321
CLT DTW 321

All cleared at 100 hour window!
Old May 3, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Newuser1
Not sure if this is the right spot. I have an international flight, currently booked PE. I do not have status, but was told it would cost 25,000 miles +$300 to upgrade. However, she stated that I would be on a waitlist.

Does anyone know what that means? Currently there are a ton of business class openings. Does a paid with miles upgrade come before someone with status?
Miles + Copay (what you're doing) is the same as using a systemwide upgrade. Before 24 hr to departure, there needs to be C upgrade space for you to confirm. Within 24 hr, you're placed on the upgrade standby list below anyone with more status than you, but above anyone with the same status but using a complimentary upgrade.
Old May 4, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
SFO-JFK double upgrade, woohoo!

On Monday's 5/2/2022 6am flight to JFK I had been upgraded to biz at 100hours, as expected, although I had already used an SWU for the next flight to MAD. The day before the JFK flight was still showing F4J7C0+lots of econ, but Monday AM, suddenly the flight was very full.
So I got rolled up to First, a first for me. In F, there was a surprisingly good American breakfast, including a nicely ripe 1/2 mango + berries. Terrible coffee of course, as I forgot to order an espresso that I've heard they have on A321Ts in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.