Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Old Mar 6, 22, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (Be aware of possible upgrade priority changes as of Loyalty Points becoming the qualifier for rewards)

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. EQD earned, possibly changing to Loyalty Points earned, in the past 12 months (rolling) as far as we know today
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.

For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Old Aug 23, 22, 12:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro, AmEx Membership Rewards
BWI-JFK 8/25 1:02pm Departure E175: Cleared at T-48.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Aug 23, 22, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
My flight to San Antonio leaving tomorrow has had seats in F for the last week. AA is selling buy up offers on the app rather than upgrade. All seats will be most likely sold by today.
Old Aug 23, 22, 2:49 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
I do wonder the potential for cannibalizing F sales at the ticket point of sale. I'm on a DCA-ORD over Labor Day Weekend and POS it was like $400pp for F, bought Y @ $150pp and have a $97 upgrade offer in the app which I'll probably take in the coming days once I firm up plans. I'm missing out on ~$13 worth of LPs/RDMs doing it that way which is a no brainer to me.
Old Aug 23, 22, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by josephbanjo7 View Post
Thank you for your response and the great points, is there a way in expertflyer or otherwise to tell which first seats are eligible for an upgrade? The theory of 1+1 not having 2 open at the same time makes a ton of sense. But if that's the case going forward would it be better to have 3 separate PNR and wait till my wife and my upgrades process (if space open) than add the MIL PNR to one of our reservations so it only needs to find 1 more seat then? Or is it just more likely that schedule changes, last minute booking into first or a Plat Pro or higher their bought a seat last minute.

We understand upgrades aren't promised just trying to understand if we could have done anything different on our end to have a higher success rate. But anyways thanks for all the explanations, I will share them with the wife.
You can't "add" your MIL's PNR to your reservation, but you can link the PNRs by calling in. Then she would inherit your priority if/when additional upgrade inventory opens up.

There is no way, on ExpertFlyer or elsewhere, to tell how many seats are eligible for an upgrade. That functionality used to exist but is long gone.
Old Aug 24, 22, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
today DFW-SAT I'm 3 out of 20 for zero seats (180 LP). The TOD's took care of that!
Old Aug 24, 22, 10:33 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP
I thought a Saturday AM JFK-BOS would be an easy upgrade, but here we are 4 days out with a full F cabin.
Upgrade offer yesterday for the last seat via the app was $200 No thanks LOL
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Not sure which of the UG threads this goes in. Flying CLT to Dub, tomorrow. Short 1 SWU so I'm in coach and Mrs. Deac83 has the SWU. Seats available in J and PE.

I'm in 18J which as not seat in front of it, but wondering if AA pulls up Elite for comp UG's regularly. I saw this on a flight to EDI, where I was using a SWU and people were 'dazed and confused' on how they got comp UG's.

I'm sleeping the entire time so don't really care as long as I don't a have some ones seat in my lap. Curious if anyone had a strategy for this in the past.
Old Aug 28, 22, 6:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
today DFW-SAT I'm 3 out of 20 for zero seats (180 LP). The TOD's took care of that!
You'll have an F seat in your car if you just drive it
Old Aug 28, 22, 6:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
Not sure which of the UG threads this goes in. Flying CLT to Dub, tomorrow. Short 1 SWU so I'm in coach and Mrs. Deac83 has the SWU. Seats available in J and PE.

I'm in 18J which as not seat in front of it, but wondering if AA pulls up Elite for comp UG's regularly. I saw this on a flight to EDI, where I was using a SWU and people were 'dazed and confused' on how they got comp UG's.
Believe the only strategy is to pay before it sells out. The EDI upgrades were likely very lucky op-up upgrades due to Y being oversold.
Old Aug 28, 22, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
Believe the only strategy is to pay before it sells out. The EDI upgrades were likely very lucky op-up upgrades due to Y being oversold.
Well they haven't offered any 'pay for ug' at the moment. FWIW, discussed in another thread, tried to get them to advance me a SWU (of the 5 I will get), but they are saying they won't do that because you need to fly the 30 segments. I have 180k lp 20 segments. After this trip I'll have 200k and 24 segments. Doesn't seem high risk to advance something I will get (sure I could never fly again, but I'm a 15 year EXP, what are the odds of that?).

If they offered me ~ $300 Ug, that would be worth it but, like I said, I'm going to sleep the entire time so how much is a lie flat seat worth? Certainly not Points plus Cash.

And my 'interest' is more of the game we play: Try and maximize your personal benefit from AA at no cost to you.
Old Aug 28, 22, 8:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K and Marriott Titanium Member
Chances of Upgrade on LAX-LHR?

I know this is a pretty specific question, but anyone have any luck/no luck getting upgraded to Business C class on the AA LAX-LHR route? Just wondering if theres a lot of high ranking AA elites on this flight route. Im assuming its a pretty popular route, I have an SWU via AS, and it looks like I have upgrade priority only after AA Platinum Pro members. Thanks for any feedback.
Old Aug 29, 22, 2:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Well, well. DCA-ORD just now cleared for today's flight. It was F4 or F5 for at least two days and I guess revenue management gave up and upgraded a bunch of us. Its now F1.
Old Aug 29, 22, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
Well the AA club in CLT did move me into PE. DFW AA club didn't come up with this, FWIW.
Old Aug 29, 22, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
GLD Upgrades do Happen

SFO-CLT Sunday night redeye (321)
CLT-HPN (CR7)

My GLD low-LP father was upgraded on both flights at the 24 hour window, which was shocking. I took a look at the lists and both didnt have any pax listed.

He was not so fortunate on his outbound legs on Thursday afternoon. Looked to be 2/3 down the relatively long lists on both segments.
Old Aug 29, 22, 3:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
Well the AA club in CLT did move me into PE. DFW AA club didn't come up with this, FWIW.
That's good. For some reason, I thought you were in PE already, but being upgraded to PE, if available right before departure, is something of an unpublished perk for EXP. I thought it was only for EXP whose SWU or other upgrade request didn't clear at the gate, but maybe it's always been more liberal. Hope you and your wife have a great trip.

Search this Thread