Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (Be aware of possible upgrade priority changes as of Loyalty Points becoming the qualifier for rewards)

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. EQD earned, possibly changing to Loyalty Points earned, in the past 12 months (rolling) as far as we know today
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.

For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by metallo
Two comments:

1. It seems odd to me that no one on the list showed as cleared if the seat went to another upgrader. Usually in this scenario, you'll see a checkmark by #2 on the list, rather than #1.

2. GAs really aren't supposed to skip over those on the list who aren't at the gate. You should've initially cleared. Only after that, if they truly think you wouldn't show up (certainly a risk at T-17 minutes), should they "un-upgrade" you and then upgrade #2.

However, I agree with the poster above who warns that you can't rely on them to give you the upgrade 100% of the time unless you're right there at the podium to get a new BP when they call your name. Mobile BPs should have fixed the need to be physically present years ago, but some rogue GAs still insist on making sure the passenger is there to accept the upgrade so they won't have to undo everything and go on board to upgrade someone else just before the door closes.
well, since the J space disappeared, I kinda thought the last F was purchased outright, or another F purchaser from another flight SDC'd this flight at the last minute - therefore no-one got the last upgrade. But then maybe another someone cancelled off or no showed besides me to open up that last seat again?

Last edited by bbriscoe34; Sep 30, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
For battlefield upgrades, you have to be at the gate 10-15 minutes before boarding starts, and my advice is one hour before departure time, to monitor the situation, especially if you are at the top of the list or the upgrade is really important.

Last edited by nk15; Oct 3, 2022 at 5:36 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, United Airlines Gold, Marriott - Titanium
Talking Denver>PHX Friday afternoon

Number one on the list, squeaked in with one seat left. EXP 140K LP so far this year.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm scheduled to fly dfw-lax on Wednesday. There's already only one seat left in F and the offer on the app to grab that last seat is $412. I'm in 8B . I couldn't even grab a window or aisle (booked two weeks ago).

Yo cheap AA, start flying heavies to Los Angeles. All flights on EF show 737 or 321 non stop DFW-LAX Wednesday 10/5.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm scheduled to fly dfw-lax on Wednesday. There's already only one seat left in F and the offer on the app to grab that last seat is $412. I'm in 8B . I couldn't even grab a window or aisle (booked two weeks ago)....
I can't read these posts, I am getting traumatized....They should come with a warning that "this post may contain information disturbing to some readers"...
ryanbriar and zip10001 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm scheduled to fly dfw-lax on Wednesday. There's already only one seat left in F and the offer on the app to grab that last seat is $412. I'm in 8B . I couldn't even grab a window or aisle (booked two weeks ago).

Yo cheap AA, start flying heavies to Los Angeles. All flights on EF show 737 or 321 non stop DFW-LAX Wednesday 10/5.
So, grab it @ $412 if you really want to sit in first.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
So, grab it @ $412 if you really want to sit in first.
lol. I dont. I would never pay to upgrade on any domestic flight. My examples are merely to show how AA has monetized the F cabin at the expense of upgrading EXPs out of Dallas. Im
at 220k LP and Ill be lucky to be in the top 5 of the upgrade list.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by nk15
For battlefields upgrades, you have to be at the gate 10-15 minutes before boarding starts, and my advice is one hour before departure time, to monitor the situation, especially if you are at the top of the list or the upgrade is really important.
I wish they'd just use push notifications in the app for you to accept the upgrade.

Having to be at the gate an hour before boarding is archaic.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:15 pm

For battlefields upgrades, you have to be at the gate 10-15 minutes before boarding starts, and my advice is one hour before departure time, to monitor the situation, especially if you are at the top of the list or the upgrade is really important.
What are these?

I am regularly #1 on the upgrade list but hang out at the lounge until T-5 or less. Am I missing out?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by JustDandy
Currently Platinum w/ minimal loyalty points (likely to retain Gold only)...
Went 3/4 on upgrades on my last East Coast trip...only missing the upgrade on the outbound red-eye. Sat in exit row instead.
Friday mid-August: PHX to CLT, 1245am flight. #6 out of 12 on list - 1 person upgraded
Friday mid-August: CLT to BWI, 940am flight. Upgraded at T-48
1st Saturday of September: PIT to CLT, 345pm flight. Upgraded at T-27
1st Saturday of September: CLT to PHX, 600pm flight. Upgraded at T-24

Next round trip is coming up in about a week. First Class showing lots of open availability, but that can change quickly once T-100 etc starts hitting.
Went 2/3 on flights my most recent trip.
9/16: PHX to CLT, 1245am flight. I same-day stoodby on this flight, so did not appear eligible for upgrade?
9/16: CLT to BWI, 8am flight. Cleared around T-24
9/19: BWI to DFW, 8pm flight. Cleared around T-24.
9/19: DFW to PHX. 10pm flight. #8 of 22. 2 were upgraded before take-off.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Over the weekend I checked to see seating on my Wednesday evening (non prime business) ALT/MIA flight on an E175. 2 seats left but still selling upgrades for $97 so I took the offer. Not going to be many upgrades on that flight. When we get to the point where an EXP misses upgrades on a Wednesday evening E175 (or CRJ900) flight you know percentages are going to plummet.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was upgraded today LAX-DFW for Friday. The gods have spoken. OMG.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
That's been my experience for gate dance upgrades.

Battlefield upgrades are when the GA comes onto the aircraft to move you from your seat in Y / coach and gives you a, "golden ticket," (your boarding pass for F). I'd imagine that if a GA won't do a gate dance upgrade for you unless you're there, the chance of them doing a battlefield upgrade are near zero (unless the F cabin is very light I suppose).
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AB Dada
What are these?

I am regularly #1 on the upgrade list but hang out at the lounge until T-5 or less. Am I missing out?
T-5 or less? By then the flight is typically closed up and the wing walkers are in position. "Normally" if you get upgraded at the gate you will get a notification of a seat change pushed to you, PRESUMABLY IF YOU HAVE A MOBILE BP ON YOUR PHONE. However, you might not and AA's technology may not update your mobile BP. Which means you will need a paper BP from the GA. Some GAs will call your name and if you're not there they will give the upgrade to the next person "presuming" you're a no show. Even if you get a mobile update that might not mean the GA knows you did and the same situation.

So the moral of the story is as much as a PITA as it is if you're number one on the list be at the gate at T-45 or you stand a chance of losing your upgrade.
ryanbriar and nk15 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
BOS-JFK (E175) 10/2 late morning - was J3 for about a week and cleared at T-18. Went out with one seat open.

JFK-MIA (738) Sunday afternoon - cleared at the EP window with 9 on the list. It looked like series of couples given the last names. Several cleared off the list during the entirety of the boarding process (including right before the door closed), with someone skipped.

MIA-BOS (73M) 10/4 evening - missed! #1 of 7. Was J7 until a week out when it dropped down to J1. My guess is that there were some aggressive upgrade offers (I didnt see any on my end given how I booked the ticket) that were snapped up. Wasnt worth the $300 upfare for me when exit rows were wide open. The last seat was grabbed mid day. No change in J at the CK and EP windows.

Sitting at 394k LPs with a decent amount of EQDs from last year.
nk15 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.