Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriot Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tacostuff
Recently flew a PHL-LHR flight in biz (AA marketed, AA operated). Base ticket fare was $700, carrier-imposed fees were $1400, and about $220 in taxes (for a total of about $2320). When it posted, AA used the distance calculation for some reason and I got about 17k LP instead of the 23,100 I thought I should have gotten based on fare. So, I called and asked for the correct fare-based calculation. The agent said the carrier imposed fees may not be included in the calculation, but couldn't really explain why. From my reading of the AA webpage, the carrier-imposed fees should clearly be part of the calculations, but then I started to wonder if a bulk of the "carrier-imposed" fees would be the LHR-specific business class "tax" and if that would be excluded from the "carrier-imposed fees." Anyone have experience with this? The receipt very clearly shows $1400 in "carrier-imposed fees" and separately, taxes of about $220.
Was this some kind of special fare? $700 as base and $1400 in carrier-imposed fees doesn't make any sense to me. If it is a one way ticket which the amount seems to be very low it should only have passenger facility charge, transportation tax and security fee which is about $30. Since it is $220 in taxes I assume this was a round trip ticket?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 11:37 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
For those of you who have earned LPs this week by flying on an AA flight…

…Have your LPs posted correctly?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Yes - flew LGA to YYZ
$256 base fare posted correctly as 2,816 LP
355F1 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 355F1
Flew on 3/1 and it posted correctly.
355F1 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
yes
355F1 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
AA Flights and Alaska MP Points

American and Alaska

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum. I have an AA RT MIA--LHR in Economy (not saver). One way is in Z (ZERO points on Alaska) and the other is in O (25% accrual).

If I just credit the points to AA, do I get UP as a 75K with Alaska? If not, can I go one way crediting the 25% to Alaska and credit the other way to AA?

Thanks.

Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:31 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cmsanbos
Yes - flew LGA to YYZ
$256 base fare posted correctly as 2,816 LP
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Flew on 3/1 and it posted correctly.
Originally Posted by txpenny
yes
It appears I (and my gf) have somehow received double LPs on a flight in which we used my SWUs both ways.

Total Ticket cost was $687 (not sure how much was taxes,etc)...here are the results LAX-HND-LAX. Am I seeing things or is this 2x the amount of LPs I should have received as an EXP?

Last edited by 355F1; Mar 16, 2023 at 10:57 am
Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
It appears I (and my gf) have somehow received double LPs on a flight in which we used my SWUs both ways.

Ticket cost was $687....here are the results LAX-HND-LAX. Am I seeing things or is this 2x the amount of LPs I should have received as an EXP?

This looks like it might be distance-based calculation
Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:56 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by njvandy
This looks like it might be distance-based calculation
I don't think that's it as It says METHOD: FARE for both legs, and it was AA metal, AA ticket, AA SWU used.

Outgoing shows Business, Incoming shows Economy. I wonder if somehow the ticket price was changed internally on the re-issue when we had a schedule change?

Last edited by 355F1; Mar 16, 2023 at 6:58 pm
Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
15000 LP’s achieved

So I hit 15K LP’s today. Little did I know there were awards.

Ah thanks AA but each oh these awards are a serious downgrade. Why would an EXP want group 4 or preferred seat passes? lol.

I looked at the next award tiers… 60, 100, 175.. nowhere did I see SWU rewards. Am I missing something?

Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian

Ah thanks AA but each oh these awards are a serious downgrade. Why would an EXP want group 4 or preferred seat passes? lol.

I looked at the next award tiers… 60, 100, 175.. nowhere did I see SWU rewards. Am I missing something?

Look closer at 175k I think? Those are the first batch of loyalty choice awards that include SWUs as a choice. The next is at 250k

And it is not too surprising that the 15k level does not include anything that an EXP already has. Would you be happy if someone who has gotten 15k this year was ahead of you on an upgrade list or something? 🤣
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

That 15K level is not a downgrade, there's no actual loss of benefits because of it. And in the prior year the first rewards/choices threshold was at 125K LP. So in a way the 15K tier is an addition. It's just irrelevant if you already have status.

The SWUs are very clearly there, starting at 175K LPs:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...nt-rewards.jsp
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Aakste
I am 1300 LP short of qualifying for ExPlat for 2023. Knew that I'd be a bit shy of the mark, so did the logical thing and read the FlyerTalk forum. Best advice for quick LP seemed to be a subscription to Motley Fool for 5000 LP (prior posts had indicated the LP were issued quickly). Subscribed on Feb 23.
As the LPs had not yet posted, I submitted a claim to the AA shopping portal. They responded today:

According to The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions listed below, subscription must be active for at least 60 days.
...(then, a summary of terms and conditions)

If the rewards for order # 24060827 do not post by 4/24/2023, please contact us back and we will be happy to research this further.

They do also state that LPs will be backdated to the time of transaction.
BUT....the problem is - I have extensive flying between now and 4/24 (including a trip to Tokyo). I want to have the extra SWU at my disposal for the Japan trip, and also to earn miles at the higher ExPlat rate.
I understood - or misunderstood - that the Motley LP would post soon after payment.
Any advice? History from others, regarding posting of Motley Fool LP? Resources, or places to go to find resolution (I don't do Twitter).
I signed up for The Motley Fool on Monday, the tracking appeared on Tuesday, got a confirming email yesterday, and the LPs/miles posted today.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bse118
That 15K level is not a downgrade, there's no actual loss of benefits because of it. And in the prior year the first rewards/choices threshold was at 125K LP. So in a way the 15K tier is an addition. It's just irrelevant if you already have status.

The SWUs are very clearly there, starting at 175K LPs:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...nt-rewards.jsp
my point was the 15k “awards” are 100% useless.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my point was the 15k “awards” are 100% useless.
I think they are meant to be useful if you have no status. Obviously they are useless to an EXP but an EXP is expected to go far beyond 15k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.