Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Old Jan 28, 2023, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by mbenzgt
Interesting. Does that mean if I book and pay for a prepaid hotel today but the check in date is not until May, does that mean I earn those LPs now?
No.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
No.
I would qualify that. It's possible that the points would be back-dated to the prepayment date. However, it would not happen until after the stay dates.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
I would qualify that. It's possible that the points would be back-dated to the prepayment date. However, it would not happen until after the stay dates.
Not likely. That scenario would require AA to go back and modify accounts long after the end of LP accrual date. An accounting nightmare.

Last edited by JetAway; Jan 28, 2023 at 2:43 pm Reason: Add sentence, delete sentence.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:34 pm
koi

It looks like American is adding a 20%~30% loyalty point bonus for booking aa hotels in March. Does anyone know if we get the bonus points after receiving 60K/100K after March? or is holding Platinum/ Plat Pro or Exec Pro, allow one to get the bonus points?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 6:16 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Check your LPs

I had a one way trip on AA where the base fare was $908 but only got awarded around 4000 LPs. With my PLT status I should gotten closer to 7200.

routing was 2 legs, which posted aa separate activities. First leg was domestic, 2nd was international upgraded with points+copay. The first leg was later upgraded on the same upgrade award.

A 5 minute online chat with AA resolved it. I asked why it posted wrong and she told me my ticket number was not attached to the original credit so I earned points based on actual miles and fare basis. She thinks it may have happened like that because of my split upgraded segments but not sure.

lesson learned-audit your LP earnings as we near the end of the program year!
fotographer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I would do the same.. but I a do have a PHD in advanced mathematics to understand the whole LP scheme
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JetAway
Not if it's prepaid, non-refundable, not changeable. But pay at hotel, yes.
For Marriott and I believe Hilton, when you direct book a prepaid hotel stay that you no show, you do not receive the points for the stay.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cooper21
For Marriott and I believe Hilton, when you direct book a prepaid hotel stay that you no show, you do not receive the points for the stay.
This is a little different.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by coleslaw
This is a little different.
Oh for sure RM/BAAH is different. My point was in response to comments above saying under normal situations, when you "no show" you receive points on prepaid stays. You don't.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:28 pm

I could not find this answer any where in the forum and wanted to double check. Does anyone have experience in getting status bonus for LP when the ticket was bought from none AA one world partner airline? I see various mention of getting LP status bonus when flying on none AA one world partner flights but did not see a mention if the ticket has to be bought thru AA. I was going to fly on Qatar or Cathay to Singapore from Dallas to take advantage of using miles flown LP calculation and status bonus as being EXP. When I called advantage desk to double check if I will get the status bonus if I do that, the agent said it does not work if the ticket is bought on those carrier instead of AA.com.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by stillflatout
I could not find this answer any where in the forum and wanted to double check. Does anyone have experience in getting status bonus for LP when the ticket was bought from none AA one world partner airline? I see various mention of getting LP status bonus when flying on none AA one world partner flights but did not see a mention if the ticket has to be bought thru AA. I was going to fly on Qatar or Cathay to Singapore from Dallas to take advantage of using miles flown LP calculation and status bonus as being EXP. When I called advantage desk to double check if I will get the status bonus if I do that, the agent said it does not work if the ticket is bought on those carrier instead of AA.com.
you don’t need to purchase on AA.com to get cabin bonus when flying on OW partners. Your LP calculated as percentage of distance plus cabin bonus (both depend on fare code and airline).
if you were to purchase let’s say BA operated flight but sold as AA codeshare than you get no bonus and would earn LP as if you were flying AA purely based on how much money you spent on the ticket. Agent may have misunderstood your question.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
you don’t need to purchase on AA.com to get cabin bonus when flying on OW partners. Your LP calculated as percentage of distance plus cabin bonus (both depend on fare code and airline).
if you were to purchase let’s say BA operated flight but sold as AA codeshare than you get no bonus and would earn LP as if you were flying AA purely based on how much money you spent on the ticket. Agent may have misunderstood your question.
I'm not looking for cabin bonus confirmation but the 120% bonus I get on LP with EXP status. Normally I get that when it's a AA ticket and LP is based on how much money I spent. Just wanted to double check its for miles calculation too.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by stillflatout
I'm not looking for cabin bonus confirmation but the 120% bonus I get on LP with EXP status. Normally I get that when it's a AA ticket and LP is based on how much money I spent. Just wanted to double check its for miles calculation too.
oh sorry misunderstood your question. Agent was right about EXP bonus - you only get that when flying AA marketed flight. Amount of miles you will earn equals amount of LP you get for your flight which is based on price paid before taxes x11 as exp.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by gateH15
oh sorry misunderstood your question. Agent was right about EXP bonus - you only get that when flying AA marketed flight. Amount of miles you will earn equals amount of LP you get for your flight which is based on price paid before taxes x11 as exp.
I don't think that's correct. You get status miles on flights by select partner airlines:
Status members earn additional bonus miles on base flight miles earned when traveling on American and other select partner airlines – and those extra miles also count toward earning Loyalty Points. Eligible airlines include:
  • American Airlines
  • Alaska Airlines
  • British Airways
  • Cathay Pacific
  • Finnair
  • GOL Airlines
  • Iberia
  • Japan Airlines
  • JetBlue
  • Malaysia Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Qatar Airways
  • Royal Air Maroc
  • Royal Jordanian
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...p#mileagebonus
JJeffrey and stillflatout like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:03 pm

When AAeShopping claws back miles from you for an erroneous miles posting or an item you returned, do the corresponding loyalty points also go away?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.