Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
First four months of Instant Status Pass ended April 12.

I had a hotel stay via bookaahotels.com where I checked out on April 10 (that shows in my AA account with an activity date of April 8, the day of check in) that did not show in the account until April 15 (after the close of the four month period).

I've been credited with these loyalty points, but it does not appear they were used in the first four months. With the hotel stay, I should be Platinum Pro. Without it, I am only Platinum, which is what shows in the account. The language for AA seems pretty clear that this should qualify because the activity date is within the window.

Am I missing something? Or maybe I need to wait for their system to sweep for this? Planning to call AA tomorrow about this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by saFlyTalk
First four months of Instant Status Pass ended April 12.

I had a hotel stay via bookaahotels.com where I checked out on April 10 (that shows in my AA account with an activity date of April 8, the day of check in) that did not show in the account until April 15 (after the close of the four month period).

I've been credited with these loyalty points, but it does not appear they were used in the first four months. With the hotel stay, I should be Platinum Pro. Without it, I am only Platinum, which is what shows in the account. The language for AA seems pretty clear that this should qualify because the activity date is within the window.

Am I missing something? Or maybe I need to wait for their system to sweep for this? Planning to call AA tomorrow about this.
Update: my status now shows Platinum Pro.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Hopefully this is the right thread for my question. Took my first trip of the year.
BOS-PHL-ZRH round trip. I just checked my account and I have NO idea how they arrived at the loyalty points they gave me.
I booked economy/premium economy mix but used miles to upgrade to J.
So LP gets calculated by dollars spent.
The only ticket price information I can find is on my receipt-
$525 + taxes and carrier-imposed fees $578.95 total $1103.95.
Fees and taxes aren't broken out. They don't issue LP's on taxes right?
So how do you spot check AA's calculations?

I got the following base miles-
BOS-PHL 100
PHL-ZRH 2205
ZRH-PHL 1855
PHL-ZRH just realized not posted. Flew on 4/19.

How did they come to this numbers? Is there a way to get your base fare plus carrier imposed fees which is what LP are based on?
I miss the old days, based on miles flown.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
LP's

What airline did you credit the points to, Alaska? They don't deal with $'s spent. I know DL does.

Last edited by SoFlaFlyer737; Apr 24, 2023 at 10:21 am
Old Apr 24, 2023, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Hopefully this is the right thread for my question. Took my first trip of the year.
BOS-PHL-ZRH round trip. I just checked my account and I have NO idea how they arrived at the loyalty points they gave me.
I booked economy/premium economy mix but used miles to upgrade to J.
So LP gets calculated by dollars spent.
The only ticket price information I can find is on my receipt-
$525 + taxes and carrier-imposed fees $578.95 total $1103.95.
Fees and taxes aren't broken out. They don't issue LP's on taxes right?
So how do you spot check AA's calculations?

I got the following base miles-
BOS-PHL 100
PHL-ZRH 2205
ZRH-PHL 1855
PHL-ZRH just realized not posted. Flew on 4/19.

How did they come to this numbers? Is there a way to get your base fare plus carrier imposed fees which is what LP are based on?
I miss the old days, based on miles flown.
I just did a dummy booking for BOS-PHL-ZRH roundtrip and the total taxes look to be a little over $100, so you should earn LP on ~$950 of the fare. What status do you have?

Also the PHL-BOS LP's are probably posted in the same entry as ZRH-PHL, just below it. I absolutely hate how AA combines LP postings now.

The LP you earn for each flight are just based on the fare breakout AA has for each segment.

If in the end your total LP earned don't add up to what they should then call AAdvantage Customer Service and get it adjusted.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Thanks JJeffrey. I went back in to my account and the PHL-BOS has now posted.
Base miles at 75 (vs. BOS-PHL at 100)
I have PLT status. I know there is a bonus of 60%. I'm not looking at that right now. Just trying to figure out how to calculate the base miles.
So if ~$950 of the fare should warrant LP's, shouldn't the LP earned be 950 (1 pt per $ spent)?
If AA is not going to be transparent with their fares (how much each segment costs, breakout of all fees and taxes etc) they can pretty much do what they want with LP's and we have no way of double checking, unless I'm missing something.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
MInimum PIonts Earned per segment

I have PLT status. I know there is a bonus of 60%. I'm not looking at that right now. Just trying to figure out how to calculate the base miles.
So if ~$950 of the fare should warrant LP's, shouldn't the LP earned be 950 (1 pt per $ spent)?
If AA is not going to be transparent with their fares (how much each segment costs, breakout of all fees and taxes etc) they can pretty much do what they want with LP's and we have no way of double checking, unless I'm missing something.
Does AA not give minimum of 500 miles per segment, regardless of distance? That's useful on Alaska for routes like SEA--PDX or SEA--YVR. Delta does the same, good for FLL or MIA to MCO or TPA, for example.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not how it works. There is no cost for each segment, so nothing to be transparent about. AA is usually selling a fare to get you from A to D, with routing rules that allow you to fly A to B to C to D, possibly with some segments on partner airlines, and other routings are probably allowed as well.

If you have some segments marketed by AA and some marketed by partners that earn based on distance, AA needs to divide the fare paid somehow to allocate some of it to the AA segments so they can determine how many LP to award. There is no "right" or "obvious" way to do this, because, again, you did not buy multiple segments; you bought a single end-to-end fare. However, my understanding is that they usually prorate by distance flown.

Also, the base earnings are not 1 mile per dollar. The base is 5 miles per dollar on regular tickets and 2 miles per dollar on BE.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:59 pm

AA Loyalty Program

Thanks for the info, I'm pretty ignorant about AA Advantage and loyalty program, but I've been flying it more often that AK is in OneWorld. I've bought a couple intl. WE tix so I'd accrue decent BIS points in AK.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
No, that's not how it works. It's never been possible to view the exact per segment fare breakouts, this is just granular fare data that only AA has.

You earn base miles/LP's at a flat rate of 5 LP/$ plus the 60% elite bonus for PLT (for a total of 8 LP/$).

So for a $950 fare before taxes you should be earning roughly:
$950 x 5 LP/$ = 4,750 base miles / LP
$950 x 3 LP/$ = 2,850 bonus miles / LP

Based on what you posted above you said you earned 4,235 base miles, so this is roughly in line, assuming you also earned the elite bonus miles/LP, which you didn't mention.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 2:00 pm

Is there a way to get your base fare plus carrier imposed fees which is what LP are based on?
This you can do. You can request a receipt from AA for the flight, which will have the taxes broken out from the carrier-imposed fees. When I do it, I just google "AA ticket receipt" or the like each time since I can't remember the exact link. You'll need your ticket number.

saunders111
Old Apr 24, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That's not how it works. There is no cost for each segment, so nothing to be transparent about. AA is usually selling a fare to get you from A to D, with routing rules that allow you to fly A to B to C to D, possibly with some segments on partner airlines, and other routings are probably allowed as well.

If you have some segments marketed by AA and some marketed by partners that earn based on distance, AA needs to divide the fare paid somehow to allocate some of it to the AA segments so they can determine how many LP to award. There is no "right" or "obvious" way to do this, because, again, you did not buy multiple segments; you bought a single end-to-end fare. However, my understanding is that they usually prorate by distance flown.

Also, the base earnings are not 1 mile per dollar. The base is 5 miles per dollar on regular tickets and 2 miles per dollar on BE.
That's exactly it. Fares aren't priced per segment, so the breakout is just a prorate in between each destination fared, if it takes multiple segments to complete a fare.

That said, if someone wants to see how the fare is constructed (like outbound vs. return fares, or fare 1/fare 2/fare 3 on circle trips), agents will be happy to print you out a ticket receipt showing the full fare ladder. I request one regularly.
Old May 10, 2023, 9:57 am

Apologies if asked, but if you reach a certain status due to credit card points and later cancel the flight and receive a refund, I assume you lose the associated loyalty points but would you also lose status?
Old May 10, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Joseliz
Apologies if asked, but if you reach a certain status due to credit card points and later cancel the flight and receive a refund, I assume you lose the associated loyalty points but would you also lose status?
You should expect that they will be clawed back and lose status.
Old May 10, 2023, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Joseliz
canceling and getting a refund for a flight you paid for with an AA card is no different than cancelling and getting a refund for any other item you bought with the card. It'll trigger a reduction of miles and LPs, If you got status just from that amount of LPs that get clawed back, then yes, you'll lose status till you spend the money on the card again, or earn LPs some other way. If your ticket is nonrefundable, then the flight credit will sit there in your account till it expires, so that wouldn't affect your status.

Keep in mind that the flight part itself wouldn't have given you any flight miles or flight LPs yet until you actually take the flight with the miles and LPs calculated based on your elite level multiplier. 11x for EXP etc

since you're talking about getting a refund, presumably you didn't mean this type of mileage or LP credit, but it's kind of confusing what you may have meant. Flights purchased but not yet flown are no different than groceries or a toothbrush you buy at walmart; any of these may get returned and deduct the matching number of miles and LPs.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.