Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by HiAperture
I hit PPro late last year and I gamed out pushing for EXP, ultimately I couldn’t justify spending thousands on unnecessary hotel stays just to be able to upgrade on awards.
Well, the benefits of EP over PP is certainly a lot more than upgrades on awards. Or some notion of being recognized as having status. It is a decision on economic terms. Pay an amount of money today (to Rocketmiles) in exchange for a large chuck of miles today, as well as earning more miles and more loyalty choice rewards all next year because you're earning 50% more miles (120% vs 80% mileage bonus). And throw in a couple of loyalty choice selections. The other benefits of EP are just bonus.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Cooper21
Well, the benefits of EP over PP is certainly a lot more than upgrades on awards. Or some notion of being recognized as having status. It is a decision on economic terms. Pay an amount of money today (to Rocketmiles) in exchange for a large chuck of miles today, as well as earning more miles and more loyalty choice rewards all next year because you're earning 50% more miles (120% vs 80% mileage bonus). And throw in a couple of loyalty choice selections. The other benefits of EP are just bonus.
The additional value though depends a lot (at least this year) in whether you also have 30 segments, and thus qualify for some amount of loyalty choice rewards. For folks whose travel is mostly long-haul international, for example, or who fly primarily hub-to-hub, the accumulation of 30 segments is not an automatic given. But for someone who already has 30 segments under their belt, I agree with the above analysis.
robertablake likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: AA PPro
I can't understand why anyone would end the year at only PP. If you fly regularly, it doesn't make sense not to based on math behind it. If I value miles at 1 or 1.5 cents, and I can book hotels on RM right now for 2.5 cents, I only need to justify paying 1 to 1.5 cents per LP to make up points you are short of EP.

So let's say someone is 60k short of EP. Right now you can spend $1500 on RM to earn 60k in LP. The 60k in RDM you earn are worth $600-$900 depending on how you value your miles. Now you receive 2 loyalty choices. SWU's are the most valuable if you can use, but say you choose the miles for another 50k miles worth $500-$750. So in a worse case valuation, you spent $1500, and received miles worth $1100. So EP costs $400. Now all of next year you supercharge earnings at 120% (vs 80% as PP) which is a big deal, and you're hitting loyalty choices sooner, and requalifying quicker. The benefits of being EP over PP are significant by themselves. Again, I can't imagine why someone would stay at PP when it is so easy, even this late, to qualify for EP.
Where can you get 60k in LP for $1500 and also you have to have the stay completed by end of Feb.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: AA PPro
You aren't wrong that there is a case to make it worthwhile, I just decided not to spend the money.

I prefer to book cheap web special awards with the miles earned from that spending, so ability to upgrade those would be the biggest benefit to me.

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
The additional value though depends a lot (at least this year) in whether you also have 30 segments, and thus qualify for some amount of loyalty choice rewards. For folks whose travel is mostly long-haul international, for example, or who fly primarily hub-to-hub, the accumulation of 30 segments is not an automatic given. But for someone who already has 30 segments under their belt, I agree with the above analysis.
Yes, that is part of it. As it so happens this past year I did a fair amount of flying on DL due to schedules, pricing, and employer bookings. So I would have needed to do some segment runs. With the 30 segment rule going away it makes more sense to just focus on next year.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Where can you get 60k in LP for $1500 and also you have to have the stay completed by end of Feb.
Check out the BAAH/Rocketmiles thread . Lots of $25 hotels in places like Vegas or Bali that earn 1000 miles. On the computer you can add extra miles at checkout. 4000 miles for under $100. Repeat 15 times.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I don’t know if you could get “60K” RDM/LP for <$1500, but you could get close (maybe $1700-ish). I think 60K is probably more of a reach than most folks here would want to do. Nevertheless, here are some examples of 2-4 night bookings that price out around 2.8-2.9 cpm/cpp without requiring a tedious number of individual bookings and with checkout dates at or before Feb 28. They all include the “boost.” And taxes. Be aware of time zone; these examples are on/after Friday (24th). You can book more than one room at the same property and/or have concurrent bookings at more than one property. Remember that you only unlock the loyalty choice rewards if you’ve also flown the 30 segments. YMMV

Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by Rhomboid
That's correct based on my experience.
Shoot. Somewhere I thought I read it the other way; that it was based on the transaction date, not statement date. My statement is around the 16th so I guess I'm spending towards 2023. It was going to be a stretch anyway.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by Dedicated
I accidentally hit the 75k limit cap on LP earning. Bought an expensive OTW ticket as an EXP and learned the hard way.
I was just looking over the AA website and noticed that this seems to have been eliminated:

https://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/...nts/index.html

Dreaming of booking that trip around the world? Now there's no limit to the miles you can earn on a single ticket.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Flew my 30th segment on Tuesday 2/28 and no rewards. It appears that the segment has to POST before 3/1 to count for the 2022 year!
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Rebob
Flew my 30th segment on Tuesday 2/28 and no rewards. It appears that the segment has to POST before 3/1 to count for the 2022 year!
I have the same issue - flew segment #30 on 2/21 on Alaska and it took until 3/1/23 for the segment to post. It shows that I achieved 30 segments now with a big green check but no loyalty choice rewards yet in my account. I've been on the phone with AA customer service a couple of times since then and they said as long as the activity happened before the 2/28 cutoff date, it will count towards the prior qualification year, no matter when it posts. They are having some sort of system 'glitch' right now in recognizing post-2/28 activity, but they said they are working on fixing this, although it may take up to two weeks.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Thanks. I was hoping that would be the answer. The LPs posted to last year, just not the segment.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Loyalty point calculation - Are carrier imposed fees to/from LHR treated differently?

Recently flew a PHL-LHR flight in biz (AA marketed, AA operated). Base ticket fare was $700, carrier-imposed fees were $1400, and about $220 in taxes (for a total of about $2320). When it posted, AA used the distance calculation for some reason and I got about 17k LP instead of the 23,100 I thought I should have gotten based on fare. So, I called and asked for the correct fare-based calculation. The agent said the carrier imposed fees may not be included in the calculation, but couldn't really explain why. From my reading of the AA webpage, the carrier-imposed fees should clearly be part of the calculations, but then I started to wonder if a bulk of the "carrier-imposed" fees would be the LHR-specific business class "tax" and if that would be excluded from the "carrier-imposed fees." Anyone have experience with this? The receipt very clearly shows $1400 in "carrier-imposed fees" and separately, taxes of about $220.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tacostuff
Recently flew a PHL-LHR flight in biz (AA marketed, AA operated). Base ticket fare was $700, carrier-imposed fees were $1400, and about $220 in taxes (for a total of about $2320). When it posted, AA used the distance calculation for some reason and I got about 17k LP instead of the 23,100 I thought I should have gotten based on fare. So, I called and asked for the correct fare-based calculation. The agent said the carrier imposed fees may not be included in the calculation, but couldn't really explain why. From my reading of the AA webpage, the carrier-imposed fees should clearly be part of the calculations, but then I started to wonder if a bulk of the "carrier-imposed" fees would be the LHR-specific business class "tax" and if that would be excluded from the "carrier-imposed fees." Anyone have experience with this? The receipt very clearly shows $1400 in "carrier-imposed fees" and separately, taxes of about $220.
The carrier imposed fees should 100% always be included in the LP earnings. The agent just didn't know what they were talking about. Any taxes, including the UK APD "luxury tax" should be included in the taxes. If this was just a one-way PHL-LHR then you wouldn't pay any APD though.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; IC - Amb
I am 1300 LP short of qualifying for ExPlat for 2023. Knew that I'd be a bit shy of the mark, so did the logical thing and read the FlyerTalk forum. Best advice for quick LP seemed to be a subscription to Motley Fool for 5000 LP (prior posts had indicated the LP were issued quickly). Subscribed on Feb 23.
As the LPs had not yet posted, I submitted a claim to the AA shopping portal. They responded today:

According to The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions listed below, subscription must be active for at least 60 days.
...(then, a summary of terms and conditions)

If the rewards for order # 24060827 do not post by 4/24/2023, please contact us back and we will be happy to research this further.

They do also state that LPs will be backdated to the time of transaction.
BUT....the problem is - I have extensive flying between now and 4/24 (including a trip to Tokyo). I want to have the extra SWU at my disposal for the Japan trip, and also to earn miles at the higher ExPlat rate.
I understood - or misunderstood - that the Motley LP would post soon after payment.
Any advice? History from others, regarding posting of Motley Fool LP? Resources, or places to go to find resolution (I don't do Twitter).
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Aakste
I am 1300 LP short of qualifying for ExPlat for 2023. Knew that I'd be a bit shy of the mark, so did the logical thing and read the FlyerTalk forum. Best advice for quick LP seemed to be a subscription to Motley Fool for 5000 LP (prior posts had indicated the LP were issued quickly). Subscribed on Feb 23.
As the LPs had not yet posted, I submitted a claim to the AA shopping portal. They responded today:

According to The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions listed below, subscription must be active for at least 60 days.
...(then, a summary of terms and conditions)

If the rewards for order # 24060827 do not post by 4/24/2023, please contact us back and we will be happy to research this further.

They do also state that LPs will be backdated to the time of transaction.
BUT....the problem is - I have extensive flying between now and 4/24 (including a trip to Tokyo). I want to have the extra SWU at my disposal for the Japan trip, and also to earn miles at the higher ExPlat rate.
I understood - or misunderstood - that the Motley LP would post soon after payment.
Any advice? History from others, regarding posting of Motley Fool LP? Resources, or places to go to find resolution (I don't do Twitter).
That is extremely annoying.

About the only thing I can think of would be to call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the usual EXP line) 800-882-8880 and see if they could throw you any sort of bone given your scenario.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll get anywhere pushing back with eShopping as the terms do state the 60 day stuff, even if most post much quicker. I just signed up again for Motley Fool last week and the miles/LP's posted in 2 days.

While it won't help with the SWU's, if your EXP status isn't reflected by the time of your trips then I would call AAdvantage Customer Service again after your status updates and have them adjust your mileage/LP earning to reflect EXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.