Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA reinstated elite kits w/ ID and Luggage Tags for EP and PP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
  • AA does not send physical ID cards for EP and PP, only 2 bag tags and a set of coupons to give AA employees in recognition of service you deem outstanding.
  • you can request a new set of bag tags and coupons; they take a L-O-N-G time to arrive by mail
  • a mod should update the title to reflect there are no physical ID cards for any level Gold-EXP
Print Wikipost

AA reinstated elite kits w/ ID and Luggage Tags for EP and PP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The "kit" is just really junk mail. It went right into the garbage receptacle when I got it.
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bse118
So...lol...I actually wrote in and complained about the lack of a physical membership card. Here's the first part of the response I got back:

"We made a commitment to reduce our carbon footprint and no longer send out Executive Platinum® membership cards"

So it's greenwashing, is it? I mean aside from the absurdity of a global airline trying to reduce it's carbon footprint by eliminating a few plastic cards compared to say...the fuel consumption of it's operations on a daily basis, if you are going to eliminate a plastic card: how about you eliminate the useless one (the luggage tag) and keep the one that has use in certain situations?

Just tell me it's a cost-saving measure. I'd be less annoyed with that than a blatantly laughable greenwash.
It's definitely majorly overstating the impact, but it isn't false. There's objectively less plastic being used.

Also the vast majority of people either throw them out or put them in a drawer. I've never used mine in 10+ years as EXP. There are some partner lounge cases that have been reported, but they're all from years ago.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
It's definitely majorly overstating the impact, but it isn't false. There's objectively less plastic being used.

Also the vast majority of people either throw them out or put them in a drawer. I've never used mine in 10+ years as EXP. There are some partner lounge cases that have been reported, but they're all from years ago.
Sure - there's a slight bit less plastic being used. But it's completely disingenuous to suggest that that was reason for getting rid of the cards -as that message did.

I used my card several times last year - not for lounges. But for gate-keepers at first class check-in areas. And just one use in year is infinitely more times than I will use the luggage tag that they are still mailing out and is already in my local landfill.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by bse118
I used my card several times last year - not for lounges. But for gate-keepers at first class check-in areas.
I agree. I used mine as recently as a few weeks ago to access the premium check-in area for JAL since someone was manning the entrance and requesting proof of eligibility.
bse118 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:57 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Called and got my "kit" ordered. Apparently I will get only 2 luggage tags, because my 2021 EXP Kit never arrived. Asked about the physical EXP card and they said those are no longer offered.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Is there a digital version still? I find nothing in my wallet.

Update: found on app under account...i didn't scroll down far enough to see the link...lol
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by Bradhattan; Feb 17, 2023 at 9:37 am
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I renewned PPro in December and then hit EXP in January (I had a maxed out 75k LP Qantas flight in December and was right at the cusp of PPro renewal, so basically I qualified for PPro and then EXP like two weeks later). I got my PPro kit which was just the thank you coupons and one luggage tag. What are they giving the EXPs as I imagine I'll get mine any day now? I was disappointed the PPro one didn't reference the million miler status like the pre-covid tags did.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BrianV
I renewned PPro in December and then hit EXP in January (I had a maxed out 75k LP Qantas flight in December and was right at the cusp of PPro renewal, so basically I qualified for PPro and then EXP like two weeks later). I got my PPro kit which was just the thank you coupons and one luggage tag. What are they giving the EXPs as I imagine I'll get mine any day now? I was disappointed the PPro one didn't reference the million miler status like the pre-covid tags did.
The EXP kit is, as with PPro, "just the thank you coupons and one luggage tag."

I am wondering if we will get a new luggage tag each year once hitting 200k LP at this point, or if you just get that first one and that's it. Saving the planet!
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by Rossodio
The EXP kit is, as with PPro, "just the thank you coupons and one luggage tag."

I am wondering if we will get a new luggage tag each year once hitting 200k LP at this point, or if you just get that first one and that's it. Saving the planet!
I hope they at least send out the thank-you slips. I used the last one a few weeks ago, and I think they expired on Jan 31.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:22 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BrianV
Do you recall how long it took to get your "kit"....? I called and ordered mine 15 days ago and still havent received anything. Its interesting that you got your PPro Kit first.... in my case I hit that 2 months ago but never got anything... perhaps Im blacklisted...?? BTW, what thank you coupons did you get.....?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
It's crazy that they can send the luggage tags and straps, which I always throw away, but can't send a physical card. Not sure what I'd do with the card these days but (1) I like the "security" of having it in case I'm at some distant station and there is some question about my status and (2) I keep a collection of the cards.

I do keep the "good job" certs and try to give them away but my rule is that a credit card announcement on the flight makes the crew ineligible to receive one.
njvandy and SFflyer20 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
I'm at some distant station and there is some question about my status
That's where I am too. While I haven't had any issue, I was flashing my card to quickly gain access to a JAL F check-in line at SIN last month. Would declaring, "I'm oneworld Emerald!" be sufficient? Perhaps, but showing an elite status card is certainly a much more graceful way of showing your status if there is any ambiguity or question.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Majuki
That's where I am too. While I haven't had any issue, I was flashing my card to quickly gain access to a JAL F check-in line at SIN last month. Would declaring, "I'm oneworld Emerald!" be sufficient? Perhaps, but showing an elite status card is certainly a much more graceful way of showing your status if there is any ambiguity or question.
Declaring it is what I've always done. I don't carry the card. If it's ever in question, they should be able to look it up.

They should just send the package the first time you qualify and on request. I have 20 luggage tags in a pouch somewhere as spares. Why not save the expense and just send the tags and/or card to those that want it.
Majuki and Rossodio like this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Declaring it is what I've always done. I don't carry the card. If it's ever in question, they should be able to look it up.

They should just send the package the first time you qualify and on request. I have 20 luggage tags in a pouch somewhere as spares. Why not save the expense and just send the tags and/or card to those that want it.
I don't care about the luggage tags, but I'd like a card even if on request with a current expiration date. While the airline should be able to look up a passenger's status, a lot of the time you have to make it past the bouncer guarding the entrance. This is particularly true for the Flagship check-in areas at LAX and JFK. Despite having been on multiple eligible itineraries at both airports, I've only been on the list once.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Stripe
It's crazy that they can send the luggage tags and straps, which I always throw away, but can't send a physical card. Not sure what I'd do with the card these days but (1) I like the "security" of having it in case I'm at some distant station and there is some question about my status and (2) I keep a collection of the cards.

I do keep the "good job" certs and try to give them away but my rule is that a credit card announcement on the flight makes the crew ineligible to receive one.
The credit card announcement as one quick line during takeoff or landing I think is fine, but fanning applications in everyone's faces and spending an inordinate amount of time on it for me too means instant disqualification for the AApplause coupons from me too.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.