Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA reinstated elite kits w/ ID and Luggage Tags for EP and PP

Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
  • AA does not send physical ID cards for EP and PP, only 2 bag tags and a set of coupons to give AA employees in recognition of service you deem outstanding.
  • you can request a new set of bag tags and coupons; they take a L-O-N-G time to arrive by mail
  • a mod should update the title to reflect there are no physical ID cards for any level Gold-EXP
Print Wikipost

AA reinstated elite kits w/ ID and Luggage Tags for EP and PP

Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Partner lounges operated by third-party contractors that used to require the plastic cards should be equipped to accept the digital cards now.
…"should"…

Originally Posted by Antarius
I haven't run into a lounge that needs the physical card or digital one… out of curiosity, any examples where you need to show the card?
The physical card was so frequently required in situations where no invitation card was received at check-in that I am surprised when I hear anyone say that he has never encountered a need for a physical card before. Many such examples I have experienced personally, all over Africa, and in less-traveled places in Asia. This was in addition to my status being printed on a boarding card. It was also, however, pre-Covid, so I hope the requirement for a physical card is no longer in effect.
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Just got my PP luggage tag - it did have my name on it. Wish I got the card, suppose it might be handy to swipe at the check in kiosks.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Antarius
I haven't run into a lounge that needs the physical card or digital one.
Either they scan my BP or I'm handed an invite at check in.
​​​​​
out of curiosity, any examples where you need to show the card?
Yes, I had to show my card in DBV.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I guess this is old news, but I don't recall reading about it here. Do we get only a single luggage tag now, with no MM recognition? Requalified for EXP a few weeks ago and just received my not-very-exciting package. Talk about cheaping out.
GUWonder, njvandy, Majuki and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey | UA Plat | UA 2M Miler | Marriott Plat | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
I just qualified for EXP last month, for the first time, and only received one luggage tag, no card. Really low budget.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The front desk staff are basically just receptionists and do not have access to scan and verify status on boarding passes, so they would write down the elite number by hand for the lounge operator to bill the sponsoring airline later.
I've also had to show my elite status card to some bouncers to access the elite check-in area. I've never tried showing the digital card, so I don't know if that would be as readily accepted.

I've experienced the need for the physical card at contract lounges years ago. Usually, but not always, those places also accept Priority Pass, so it would be possible to enter even if the receptionists refuse the digital status card.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Got my luggage tag requalification EXP "pack" last week. Promptly threw the useless/pointless luggage tag away.

Wish they would have sent a physical membership card instead - that has use.
enviroian and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I've also had to show my elite status card to some bouncers to access the elite check-in area. I've never tried showing the digital card, so I don't know if that would be as readily accepted.
On most carriers, my boarding pass shows my one world status. Wouldnt that be good enough on its own?

FWIW I hit EXP in December and dont think Ive received any acknowledgement. Certainly not a card or luggage tags.

Pretty sure I havent seen anything like that since the first time I hit platinum years ago.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I also hit EXP in mid-December. Just received 1 luggage tag and 6 AAplause certs (or whatever they are called now). No physical card, as was the case when I hit PPro. Would it really have cost them anything to add the inscription for million miler status like they used to? Just seems lazy more than anything else.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by njvandy
I also hit EXP in mid-December. Just received 1 luggage tag and 6 AAplause certs (or whatever they are called now). No physical card, as was the case when I hit PPro. Would it really have cost them anything to add the inscription for million miler status like they used to? Just seems lazy more than anything else.
Or my AAdvantage number? The purpose of the luggage tag is identification in case the bag is separated from me. All it has on it is my name. How many John Smiths do you think there are in the EXP ranks? (no, that's not really my name, but seriously.....)
njvandy, MasterPlanner and S80 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Glad I found this thread..... Im back to EXP since a status challenge in 2021, but never received the kit. Should I call the EXP Desk and order it...?

Thanks !!
Old Jan 28, 2023, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Glad I found this thread..... Im back to EXP since a status challenge in 2021, but never received the kit. Should I call the EXP Desk and order it...?

Thanks !!
Unless you are in desperate need of a single AA branded luggage tag with your name on it - I'd say no. There's not really anything in the "kit" other than that.
Majuki and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 2:45 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bse118
Unless you are in desperate need of a single AA branded luggage tag with your name on it - I'd say no. There's not really anything in the "kit" other than that.
Thanks... I thought that the kit was a physical card that can be used at check in kiosks plus 2-3 luggage tags.... I guess this has now changed..?

I guess I will call and find out. Will report back if there is anything worth sharing.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks... I thought that the kit was a physical card that can be used at check in kiosks plus 2-3 luggage tags.... I guess this has now changed..?

I guess I will call and find out. Will report back if there is anything worth sharing.
It used to be a membership card and 2 tags. Then they were eliminated during COVID and then reinstated as a single luggage tag.
​​​​​
TheDudeAbides and LovePrunes like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
Got my luggage tag requalification EXP "pack" last week. Promptly threw the useless/pointless luggage tag away.

Wish they would have sent a physical membership card instead - that has use.
So...lol...I actually wrote in and complained about the lack of a physical membership card. Here's the first part of the response I got back:

"We made a commitment to reduce our carbon footprint and no longer send out Executive Platinum membership cards"

So it's greenwashing, is it? I mean aside from the absurdity of a global airline trying to reduce it's carbon footprint by eliminating a few plastic cards compared to say...the fuel consumption of it's operations on a daily basis, if you are going to eliminate a plastic card: how about you eliminate the useless one (the luggage tag) and keep the one that has use in certain situations?

Just tell me it's a cost-saving measure. I'd be less annoyed with that than a blatantly laughable greenwash.
Ritz, ExpatExp and LovePrunes like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.