Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Explore
For trip planning purposes, it's important to know when FFD dining facilities will be open. During pre-pandemic times both LAX and JFK were open pretty much throughout the day, while MIA didn't open until 2 pm or so. But back then, there were no regular 3-class flights between MIA and LAX. Now there are, at least temporarily, and in Nov/Dec one of them leaves before 2 pm. Any guesses as to whether FFD MIA will open by 11:30 or noon this time, to accommodate the subject flight? I figure they won't accommodate it...what do you guys think?
In October I believe its 6 x a day 77W's with 2 before the old 2pm opening time . I would hope they would accommodate but my guess would be No. Figure they open it at the old 2pm ish tme and are covered for the London 77W and the one 77W GRu and the 3 or so evening 77W's to LA. I'm flying in from LA and cant wait to use it. Taking the 9am just to be safe and land at 5pm Would prefer the 11am 77W but worried maybe a little delay and possibly the kitchen closes on the early side since only 1 not 2 77W's to London & GRU..
Old Sep 10, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Good point, I am on the 3:45 MIA-LAX in Oct. Even if it opened at 2 I could choke down a cheeseburger and some champagne before boarding, but I hope they are open at lunch time so it could be more leisurely. I had a nice long lunch at the JFK location in 2019 I was hoping to replicate.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
In October I believe its 6 x a day 77W's with 2 before the old 2pm opening time . I would hope they would accommodate but my guess would be No. Figure they open it at the old 2pm ish tme and are covered for the London 77W and the one 77W GRu and the 3 or so evening 77W's to LA. I'm flying in from LA and cant wait to use it. Taking the 9am just to be safe and land at 5pm Would prefer the 11am 77W but worried maybe a little delay and possibly the kitchen closes on the early side since only 1 not 2 77W's to London & GRU..
Any concern the MIA lounge dragons won’t let you in if you’re ending your trip in MIA, rather than beginning it there? In 2018, they denied me entry even though I was traveling transcon F out of JFK later that day - arguing that my MIA-JFK flight was on a different PNR.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Any concern the MIA lounge dragons won’t let you in if you’re ending your trip in MIA, rather than beginning it there? In 2018, they denied me entry even though I was traveling transcon F out of JFK later that day - arguing that my MIA-JFK flight was on a different PNR.
Like everything at AA, it will depend on the AAgent. FWIW, I got into FFD in DFW on a LAX-JFK boarding pass back in 2019. Separate PNR.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:56 pm

During Covid 2 x it took a long convo and getting a supervisor and 2 x it took a little bit of persuasiveness but no supervisor.. And this was just to get into FL. There is a whole lot of discussion about this very issue on the 77W Lax-Mia thread.

I wont be taking no for an answer. Waited so long for FFD. I also think once I get past the downstairs dragons (although more like they are incompetent at MIA than rude & difficult) I will be fine to get into FFD. I can discuss upstairs and explain that FFD is allowed on arrival. Of course this actually does not exist in writing anywhere.

But sure yes at MIA it always worries me but hoping it wont be a problem or fight.

If ya all. read about someone going crazy at MIA FL for not being allowed into FFD at 5pm on the 2nd Wednesday in October its me
Old Sep 10, 2021, 8:10 pm

Really hope no FFD on arrival. What's the point of eating at the airport? Just go to wherever you need to go. These 89 fares LAX-MIA are so cheap AA need to crack down on these freeloaders.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Really hope no FFD on arrival. What's the point of eating at the airport? Just go to wherever you need to go. These 89 fares LAX-MIA are so cheap AA need to crack down on these freeloaders.
Won’t be much traffic anyways @ MIA FFD , more at JfK. But still what if you are flying onward and want to eat.

Absolutely should be FFD upon arrival

Also the $89 is for MC not sure what that has to do with FF
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Really? What $89 fares are granting FFD access?

FWIW, pre-COVID I never had an issue getting into LAX FFD after arriving JFK-LAX F. Sometimes I had an onward connection on AA, but mostly it was a non-OW connections or I was staying in LAX and just wanted a good nightcap before heading to my hotel. Hardly freeloading on a $1500+ ticket (usually paid-J upgraded to F), in my opinion.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 11, 2021, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Really? What $89 fares are granting FFD access?

FWIW, pre-COVID I never had an issue getting into LAX FFD after arriving JFK-LAX F. Sometimes I had an onward connection on AA, but mostly it was a non-OW connections or I was staying in LAX and just wanted a good nightcap before heading to my hotel. Hardly freeloading on a $1500+ ticket (usually paid-J upgraded to F), in my opinion.

-FlyerBeek
Even the $639 J fare with 15K & $175 pay up is not freeloading.

But the issue on the arrival entry really is just MIA it seems. Never had an issue arriving Lax or Jfk. Sometimes maybe at Lax going to Dfw to catch an F to LHR I have to have a quick chat or make sure of course I show the Dfw Bp. My issues outside of QF F at Lax or always at MIA.
FlyerBeek and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 11:53 am

FYI One Z fare class is now available for JFK re-opening day on AA179 to SFO.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:34 pm

What are/were the actual mechanics of FFD access -- the steps and gatekeepers (assuming you're eligible)? Obviously the first step is to get into the FL.

At MIA and LAX, where the initial dragons guarded both AC and FL, they handed a special card to those allowed in the FL (then the secondary FL dragons simply took the card). Would those same initial dragons also adjudicate FFD and provide some additional credential? Likewise, at JFK where the FL was separate and the entrance dragons were checking only FL access, would they adjudicate FFD at the same time?

Now, you get to the FFD door and face the final dragon. What exactly do they need to see? Are they checking your boarding pass details from scratch, or checking some token you got at an earlier stage? If there's a physical token that they take from you, how do you reenter if your layover is long enough for two meals?

These questions can be important so you know at what point to ask for an FFD invitation if it isn't proactively offered. Hoping some folks remember how it used to work and that will be a good guess of how it works on reopening.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:37 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Just received this email from AA:
Projected opening schedule
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) Terminal 8
    • Flagship Lounge: Sept. 14
    • Flagship First Dining: Sept. 16
  • Miami International Airport (MIA) Concourse D
    • Flagship Lounge: Sept. 28
    • Flagship First Dining: Sept. 30
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by S80
Just received this email from AA:
That info is already in the wiki of this thread.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:45 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
That info is already in the wiki of this thread.
My apologies! I had been following the thread, but had not seen the wiki!
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
What are/were the actual mechanics of FFD access -- the steps and gatekeepers (assuming you're eligible)? Obviously the first step is to get into the FL.

At MIA and LAX, where the initial dragons guarded both AC and FL, they handed a special card to those allowed in the FL (then the secondary FL dragons simply took the card). Would those same initial dragons also adjudicate FFD and provide some additional credential? Likewise, at JFK where the FL was separate and the entrance dragons were checking only FL access, would they adjudicate FFD at the same time?

Now, you get to the FFD door and face the final dragon. What exactly do they need to see? Are they checking your boarding pass details from scratch, or checking some token you got at an earlier stage? If there's a physical token that they take from you, how do you reenter if your layover is long enough for two meals?

These questions can be important so you know at what point to ask for an FFD invitation if it isn't proactively offered. Hoping some folks remember how it used to work and that will be a good guess of how it works on reopening.
Cant stand the Dragons !!! MIA the worse. Maybe we will have some new crew in FL/FFD after all this time with out it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.