Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Is it possible to double book award travel on the same day using AA miles?

I want to book using miles on the same day:
ROW --> DFW --> PHL
and
ROW --> DFW

The ROW --> DFW are different flight numbers so I won't be on the same flights twice, i.e. different time of the day. I am just not sure if I am going all the way back to east coast or stopping in DFW. Will the computer automatically cancel one of the trips if I reserve both using points?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Is it possible to double book award travel on the same day using AA miles?

I want to book using miles on the same day:
ROW --> DFW --> PHL
and
ROW --> DFW

The ROW --> DFW are different flight numbers so I won't be on the same flights twice, i.e. different time of the day. I am just not sure if I am going all the way back to east coast or stopping in DFW. Will the computer automatically cancel one of the trips if I reserve both using points?
If you book one, and put the other on hold (or put both on hold) then it's very likely that one will get cancelled during the overnight sweeps.

But, if you fully ticket both reservations (not on hold), then it's likely they will both stick. The computer typically will not auto cancel any reservation that is fully ticketed.

Honestly I would just book the ROW-DFW-PHL and if your plans change such that you only need to go to DFW, just get off in DFW. You can pull up your reservation at aa.com once you land in DFW and cancel it, it will remove you from the DFW-PHL segment and no one will ever look at the record again. Obviously this won't work of you have checked bags though.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Traveling DFW-PHX-LIH on Wednesday. Husband is Platinum and I’ll bump up to Plat after the outbound trip. Requested mileage upgrades and still waiting on the DFW-PHX to clear (EF currently shows J4, C0). PHX-LIH cleared at T-48 but has switched to using 500-mile upgrades. So I have a few questions:

1) If DFW-PHX is confirmed, will this default back to a mileage upgrade for both segments, or would I need to call AA to avoid using more stickers?
2) Since it’s only a 2.5 hr flight, is it even worth upgrading? It’s a 789 and our Y seats are in PE, so lie-flat + a few refreshments seem trivial when we’re in F for the Hawaii leg.

TIA!
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kawliga
Traveling DFW-PHX-LIH on Wednesday. Husband is Platinum and I’ll bump up to Plat after the outbound trip. Requested mileage upgrades and still waiting on the DFW-PHX to clear (EF currently shows J4, C0). PHX-LIH cleared at T-48 but has switched to using 500-mile upgrades. So I have a few questions:

1) If DFW-PHX is confirmed, will this default back to a mileage upgrade for both segments, or would I need to call AA to avoid using more stickers?
2) Since it’s only a 2.5 hr flight, is it even worth upgrading? It’s a 789 and our Y seats are in PE, so lie-flat + a few refreshments seem trivial when we’re in F for the Hawaii leg.

TIA!
1) C0 means there are not business upgrades available on the DFW-PHX flight.
2) No.

Enjoy Hawaii.
Kawliga likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Honestly I would just book the ROW-DFW-PHL and if your plans change such that you only need to go to DFW, just get off in DFW. You can pull up your reservation at aa.com once you land in DFW and cancel it, it will remove you from the DFW-PHL segment and no one will ever look at the record again. Obviously this won't work of you have checked bags though.
Thanks I went with the above suggestion even though it means the 7AM departure from ROW but at least it is safer from some computer job canceling both reservations.
GlobalMatt and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Just booked a ticket on AA for US-Europe multi-city trip. Outbound flights (US domestic and international) on AA metal but booked as AY codeshare. Return flights as BA codeshare with segments in Europe (BA), international to US (BA), and domestic US (AA).

I'm able to get seat assignments on the two AA domestic flights as well as the BA intra-Europe flight. Unable to get seat assignments on the AA and BA international segments. Everything booked in I except intra-Europe flight (J). Have pulled up itinerary on AA, BA, and AY websites but can't seem to find a way to get advance seat assignments. BA apparently will charge me (on a business fare) to select seats ahead of time. Definitely at least want to get seats on the AA international flight (773) to avoid getting stuck in one of the three-seat middle seats.

Any suggestions as to how I can best proceed? Normally a Star Alliance flyer - never had any trouble selecting business seats on any of the *A carriers.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Just booked a ticket on AA for US-Europe multi-city trip. Outbound flights (US domestic and international) on AA metal but booked as AY codeshare. Return flights as BA codeshare with segments in Europe (BA), international to US (BA), and domestic US (AA).

I'm able to get seat assignments on the two AA domestic flights as well as the BA intra-Europe flight. Unable to get seat assignments on the AA and BA international segments. Everything booked in I except intra-Europe flight (J). Have pulled up itinerary on AA, BA, and AY websites but can't seem to find a way to get advance seat assignments. BA apparently will charge me (on a business fare) to select seats ahead of time. Definitely at least want to get seats on the AA international flight (773) to avoid getting stuck in one of the three-seat middle seats.

Any suggestions as to how I can best proceed? Normally a Star Alliance flyer - never had any trouble selecting business seats on any of the *A carriers.

Thanks in advance.
Without at least Oneworld Sapphire status, BA will look to charge you for a seat assignment in business class, unless it books into full J (hence your BA success on the intra Europe leg) If Oneworld Ruby, then BA will waive the seat reservation fee if within 7 days of departure. No idea why you can’t reserve a seat on the AA TATL though. Are you sure it’s AA metal and not just an AA/AY codeshare on BA Metal? 3 middle seats in J smells like a BA 787, or upper deck of a BA A380. An AA773 would be 1-2-1
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Without at least Oneworld Sapphire status, BA will look to charge you for a seat assignment in business class, unless it books into full J (hence your BA success on the intra Europe leg) If Oneworld Ruby, then BA will waive the seat reservation fee if within 7 days of departure. No idea why you can’t reserve a seat on the AA TATL though. Are you sure it’s AA metal and not just an AA/AY codeshare on BA Metal? 3 middle seats in J smells like a BA 787, or upper deck of a BA A380. An AA773 would be 1-2-1
Thanks for the quick response - that explains why BA won't allow me to book a seat without payment (I have no Oneworld status). Just did a dummy booking on AA for DFW-FCO and, sure enough, it's a 772 with 1-2-1 seating in J. Made the mistake of plugging the flight info into SeatGuru and it pulled up the wrong plane. I guess I'll just call AA to see if they can assign seats and wait until check-in to get seats on the BA transcon.

Cheers!

Update: Did finally manage to get seats assigned for AA transcon (AY codeshare).

Last edited by fzwinter; Nov 23, 2021 at 9:49 pm
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:19 pm

AA newbie here. I plan to fly the JFK - SNA route pretty often and I am booking in economy on the A321T. Does AA send out emails a week before the flight if there is excess business class seats unsold and offer to sell them discount to economy passengers to incentivize people to pay to upgrade? I have no status with AA. I am currently looking at flights in January with no business or first class seats sold yet. The cost of a business class seat on the route seems to be between $639-$659 regardless of demand/date of week.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:03 pm
FT

Originally Posted by bgasser
AA newbie here. I plan to fly the JFK - SNA route pretty often and I am booking in economy on the A321T. Does AA send out emails a week before the flight if there is excess business class seats unsold and offer to sell them discount to economy passengers to incentivize people to pay to upgrade? I have no status with AA. I am currently looking at flights in January with no business or first class seats sold yet. The cost of a business class seat on the route seems to be between $639-$659 regardless of demand/date of week.
If you purchase the economy ticket AA will offer an upgrade price to next class of service. This has typically been cheaper than booking the higher class. You collect EQM, but not EQD.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:48 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
sAAver availability question...

The Qantas award search does not (to the best of my comprehension) let me filter the calendar results by non-stop flights.
EF will only show me +/-3 days at a time

Is there any service that shows non-stop OneWorld partner availability in calendar form?
(ExpertFlyer, if you are listening, update your interface to be able to incorporate a calendar and take ALL OF MY MONEY)

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2021, 5:02 am
FT

Is there anyplace in my online Advantage account that notes Admirals club access due to Citi Executive card? Probably right in front of me, but I cannot find it anywhere.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FT
Is there anyplace in my online Advantage account that notes Admirals club access due to Citi Executive card? Probably right in front of me, but I cannot find it anywhere.
I don't believe so. AFAIK your AC access status is not listed within your online AAdvantage account even if you are a paid member. May I inquire why you are asking the question?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:29 pm
FT

Originally Posted by vasantn
I don't believe so. AFAIK your AC access status is not listed within your online AAdvantage account even if you are a paid member. May I inquire why you are asking the question?
Just signed up and was accepted for the Executive. Have a flight coming up - who doesn't - and was wondering if I can use AC on the way back. I understand others upthread have mentioned the ability to use the lounge relatively quickly after acceptance and was wondering if there was any indication on the AA account page indicating the access. Does AC have their own site for members to log into or is that all through aa.com?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
First time flying International and have a couple of questions.

1. I am flying AA PHX/DFW/LHR on BA booking. Do I do online check in with AA or BA? I believe I would check in with AA, same as I would go to the AA desk to check in luggage

2. Where are my documents checked? PHX at the desk or at DFW at boarding?

Just wanting this to be smooth as I can..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.