Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As the flight number has changed*, according to DoT rules, your original flight was cancelled and you were rebooked on another flight so yes, you are eligible for a refund but AA would insist that there hasn't been a schedule change over 2 hours thus they would insist on a voucher. However, a credit card chargeback and a DoT complaint should work.

* I assume that the flight number has changed.
I actually have another flight where there was a flight number change with AA, the flight was moved by three hours, but two requests to AA did not deliver a refund, just a voucher. I should do a chargeback and then a DoT complaint?
Old May 5, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
It's been a minute since I have flown, but have they changed the upgrade window? I am Platinum and my flights are less than 48 hours out. I looked at the website and there are first class seats open. Quite a few actually. I used to get the e-mails almost to the minute of my first flight once the window opened.

Last edited by atbPy; May 5, 2021 at 12:39 pm
Old May 5, 2021, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by atbPy
It's been a minute since I have flown, but have they changed the upgrade window? I am Platinum and my flights are less than 48 hours out. I looked at the website and their are first class seats open. Quite a few actually. I used to get the e-mails almost to the minute of my first flight once the window opened.
Upgrade windows haven't changed. Pre-covid it was getting very rare to be upgraded right at 100 hours even for an EXP with open seats in F. AA was almost by default holding 2-4 seats for sale and wouldn't release them for upgrades till the gate. So as a PLT if you were frequently getting upgraded at 48 hrs you're either very lucky or flying less business heavy routes or a combination of both.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Upgrade windows haven't changed. Pre-covid it was getting very rare to be upgraded right at 100 hours even for an EXP with open seats in F. AA was almost by default holding 2-4 seats for sale and wouldn't release them for upgrades till the gate. So as a PLT if you were frequently getting upgraded at 48 hrs you're either very lucky or flying less business heavy routes or a combination of both.
That makes sense. Most of my business travel in 2019 was regional - hub - regional and I was usually over 50% on upgrades. I will stay patient!
Old May 5, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by atbPy
It's been a minute since I have flown, but have they changed the upgrade window? I am Platinum and my flights are less than 48 hours out. I looked at the website and there are first class seats open. Quite a few actually. I used to get the e-mails almost to the minute of my first flight once the window opened.
Open seat on seatmap doesn't equate to purchasable seat, it will all depend on the amount of inventory open to sell.
Old May 5, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Change/cancellation fees for travel from North to South America

I’m not quite a newbie but haven’t kept up with Covid related travel waivers lately. My brother in law lives in Seattle but resides more than half the year in Ecuador. He has been in Seattle 3 months and bought a one way ticket on AA on 1/17/21, in “O” class. He was scheduled to leave on 5/12 (SEA - DFW - MIA - GYE). Unfortunately, he ended up in the emergency room yesterday. He is out today but his family believes it is too soon for him to make this rather arduous trip (he is 77).

He still intends to fly to Ecuador but is concerned about change or cancellation fees. I have not been able to find out what fees, if any, are involved. I have his ticket information but have been told not to delve further until I know AA’s policy and whether changes can be made online or whether he needs to call.

Last edited by pashber; May 5, 2021 at 3:33 pm Reason: typo
Old May 5, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EP
he shouldn’t have a change fee. Although fare difference might apply.

Originally Posted by pashber
I’m not quite a newbie but haven’t kept up with Covid related travel waivers lately. My brother in law lives in Seattle but resides more than half the year in Ecuador. He has been in Seattle 3 months and bought a one way ticket on AA on 1/17/21, in “O” class. He was scheduled to leave on 5/12 (SEA - DFW - MIA - GYE). Unfortunately, he ended up in the emergency room yesterday. He is out today but his family believes it is too soon for him to make this rather arduous trip (he is 77).

He still intends to fly to Ecuador but is concerned about change or cancellation fees. I have not been able to find out what fees, if any, are involved. I have his ticket information but have been told not to delve further until I know AA’s policy and whether changes can be made online or whether he needs to call.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Thank you.

I noticed that he cannot change his ticket online. I didn’t ask but I think he bought the ticket from Expedia or a web provider, as he used to fly Delta on his past trips.
Old May 6, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: Costco Club
If I obtained status but already have a trip booked on a partner airline, that is not showing my new status, do I still get the benefits for that or not?
Old May 6, 2021, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
If I obtained status but already have a trip booked on a partner airline, that is not showing my new status, do I still get the benefits for that or not?
Yes, in practical terms all that matters is what status you have at the time of your trip. In most cases if your AA# was on a reservation before you achieved status the system will not automatically update to show the status. The usual fix is to call AA (or partner airline), have them remove your AA# then add it back in again to refresh.
Old May 6, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, in practical terms all that matters is what status you have at the time of your trip. In most cases if your AA# was on a reservation before you achieved status the system will not automatically update to show the status. The usual fix is to call AA (or partner airline), have them remove your AA# then add it back in again to refresh.
thanks, my number was in there prior to getting status and that was my concern. I will call. Much appreciated.
Old May 7, 2021, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Cheapest seat assignments at t-48 hours or so? Because one day it was like 19$ then the day of the price went up more . When is the cheapest seat assignments ?
Old May 7, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EP
No formula. Based on how many people and paid for a seat. Generally when a flight is near empty, the seats tend to be the lowest

Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Cheapest seat assignments at t-48 hours or so? Because one day it was like 19$ then the day of the price went up more . When is the cheapest seat assignments ?
Old May 7, 2021, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

I was offered a day of travel first class upgrade . I turned it down. Then I realize I have 2 checked luggage and paying for the upgrade was a no brainer.

There is no one on the upgrade list and 2 seats open. Did I lose my chance or can I do it and pay somehow ? By phone ?
Old May 8, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Upgrading with miles

I dont have status with AA anymore. I see the upgrade with miles chart. How does this work? Like PlusPoints with United? How do I do? Do I need to look for a certain fare code to see if there is space available for the upgrade? Do I have to wait for a certain time window?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.