Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancel / Cancellation / Cancelled / Delay / Diversion 2021-22 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

2021 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)

link to archive of 2020 thread.
link to archive of 2019 thread.
link to archive of 2018 thread.

Print Wikipost

Flight Cancel / Cancellation / Cancelled / Delay / Diversion 2021-22 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was on AA 494 last night, the 10:50 PM CLT-RDU operated by an A-320. We pushed back close to on time and then sat on the taxiway. Eventually the captain let us know there was a computer issue they were hoping to reset. They could not reset it so after 40 minute we returned to the gate. It took close to an hour for maintenance to arrive and when they did they declared the aircraft unable to be flown at night. The crew then timed out. We all got off and were told the flight would go at 6:30 AM. We were given vouchers to the Wingate by Wyndham Charlotte Airport which does not have a 24 hour shuttle. I spent $50 on an Uber and a cab to get to and from a hotel 3 miles away. The check in agent at the hotel told me she had warned the gate agent about their lack of shuttle but he didn't pass on the info. Really frustrating experience all around.
Daughter had a similar experience at CLT recently. It took the one front desk person at the hotel so long to get people checked in (11pm) that she just went back to the airport as she had a 6am flight and it was now 1am with still a line out the door. The aa.com app was great for co-ordinating the room but after the hand off, it went down hill from there.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Was booked on early morning flight for business Tuesday, July 20 on direct flight DFW to Cleveland. At about 9 p.m.Monday got text my flight and had been cancelled and someone would call me. (I'm lifetime Platinum.) I tried calling the platinum desk, with projected return call hour and half later. I started looking at the app and realized there was just one connecting flight on Tuesday still flying that would get me into Cleveland landing at 11 p.m. Went ahead and called our emergency company travel agent. There was nothing on American on Tuesday by the time I reached them. She was able to pull a miracle and get a Delta flight connecting in Minnesota so that I arrived Tuesday afternoon with minimal impact to the business meetings.

I asked and while no one could tell me why all the flights were cancelled, there was a lot of speculation it was staff and maybe some equipment. Ironically on the first leg of the Delta flight the husband of the couple next to me told me he worked for American in IT. They had bought the Delta tickets because they could see there would not be flights available; he didn't offer much insight. I've traveled enough to know sometimes you just have to go with it; I'm always curious on the why. Probably signs of the times for now....
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Daughter had a similar experience at CLT recently. It took the one front desk person at the hotel so long to get people checked in (11pm) that she just went back to the airport as she had a 6am flight and it was now 1am with still a line out the door. The aa.com app was great for co-ordinating the room but after the hand off, it went down hill from there.
You should ask AA for reimbursement, but that does sound a bit high for transit for two 3 mile trips
Old Jul 27, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
AA2352 BZN-PHL sitting on a 6.5 hr delay. Anyone have an idea of what is behind this?
Old Jul 27, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass/AA Plat Admirals Club/SQ Solitaire
Shows lack of Crew. Could also be lack of fuel. BZN has been having supply issues

AA2352/27JUL
PHL 1030A A2
BZN 3 B1 104P 154P B2
PHL 19 C24 810P
4PHL/OUT1020 OFF1045 *0945
2BZN/IN1306 *1408
3BZN/ETD2030 CRA-DELAY DUE TO CREW AVAILABILITY-E *1907
7BZN/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED *1917*CRCYMG
2PHL*/PRE0238 *1907
Old Aug 18, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Diverted for fuel

Flew RNO-DFW on Monday, AA2722. Had an...interesting...experience in the days leading up to the flight, and day of flight.

The leadup:
  • 4 days prior, suddenly, flight all zeros on EF and, not for sale on AA
  • 2 days prior, 7's on EF and for sale again
  • Also, 2 days prior, email saying change your flight for free (crappy flights offered)
  • day prior, zeros again, not for sale, now offered every flight possible to change to

We decided to wait it out. Our destination was DFW, there were lots of options, and we were kinda curious as to how this all played out.

Day of flight:
  • field elevation at RNO is 4,500'
  • temperatures were 95 degrees F
  • And, by the way, the long runway is out of service at RNO for repair!

Soooo....while waiting, I conversed with the Captain; the aircraft had too much pax and baggage to accept the high density altitude, short runway, AND a full fuel load.
So they selected a smaller fuel load that took us to PHX.

We landed @ PHX, stayed on board while they loaded fuel (30 minutes) and off to DFW. Arrived at 1920, instead of our scheduled 1726. To be clear, the GA was very clear about what was going to happen before we boarded; onboard, the Captain made multiple announcements and kept us well in the loop.

Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth from those with busted connections, which was definitely bad, but we saw it coming. For us, we went to the Grand Hyatt and had a drink.

Hope this helps someone interpret schedule issues in the future.

All the best, James
Old Aug 18, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
I had the same thing happen on that route a few years ago. AA was in full dither for two hours trying to decide whether to chuck out 30 passengers, and fly direct, or take everyone and stop for fuel. Eventually we took off, with all the passengers, and made a fuel stop in ABQ.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Also, as I expected, mileage posted was RNO-DFW.

Not RNO-PHX-DFW.

All the best, James
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fdog
Also, as I expected, mileage posted was RNO-DFW.

Not RNO-PHX-DFW.

All the best, James
Was one of the alternate options via PHX? If so, I would have maybe taken that option and picked up more EQMs...and if there was a double connection via LAX/PHX... That would be even better
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by fdog
Flew RNO-DFW on Monday, AA2722. Had an...interesting...experience in the days leading up to the flight, and day of flight.

Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth from those with busted connections, which was definitely bad, but we saw it coming. For us, we went to the Grand Hyatt and had a drink.

Hope this helps someone interpret schedule issues in the future.
Crazy! Makes complete sense.though.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
RNO has been having a well publicized fuel shortage for the last few weeks due to the firefighting planes getting priority and a trucker shortage.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dls25
RNO has been having a well publicized fuel shortage for the last few weeks due to the firefighting planes getting priority and a trucker shortage.
But, this wasn't that............
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 4:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by dls25
I know there have been other posts here on FT recently specific to fuel diversions out of RNO. It's all due to the density altitude and runway closure. Fuel shortage is irrelevant.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 23, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL,EK
And now we add the smoke to that. I live north east of Reno and visibility has been under a mile for a few days. Today at least 8 flights diverted after holding to see if visibility would get to 2 miles. The long runway is closed until early October and who knows how long the smoke will be here.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
And now we add the smoke to that. I live north east of Reno and visibility has been under a mile for a few days. Today at least 8 flights diverted after holding to see if visibility would get to 2 miles. The long runway is closed until early October and who knows how long the smoke will be here.
Who'd have thunk that 700/2 minima in August would not work? Guess fire season (Feb-Dec) will be added to the runway closure checklist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.