Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancel / Cancellation / Cancelled / Delay / Diversion 2021-22 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

2021 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)

link to archive of 2020 thread.
link to archive of 2019 thread.
link to archive of 2018 thread.

Print Wikipost

Flight Cancel / Cancellation / Cancelled / Delay / Diversion 2021-22 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
FlightRadar has you leaving Bermuda at 0300 local but you probably know that already.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
FlightRadar has you leaving Bermuda at 0300 local but you probably know that already.
Wow! Quick response. Yes I can see that but I can assure you it's not happening 😂

We were met on the runway by fire crew and my understanding of the situation is that they have fire alarms going off in the cockpit but cannot figure out why. Other than that we've not been told much
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Aren’t the flight crew keeping you updated?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Aren’t the flight crew keeping you updated?
See my post just now. That's all we've been told. Currently we're all sitting in the terminal by the gate. Lots of fire crew talking to the cabin crew
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I get that, but I’m not sure any posters around these parts can provide more info than the commander on board !
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I get that, but I’m not sure any posters around these parts can provide more info than the commander on board !
Fair enough!

Anyone able to translate this to English for me?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Fair enough!

Anyone able to translate this to English for me?
There’s a delay due to aircraft maintenance.
CarefreeBA likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:58 pm

Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Anyone know anything about the crew timing limits?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Anyone know anything about the crew timing limits?
As this is aa38, that may be better asked on the aa forum, but if they cannot figure out why the fire alarms keep going off I doubt you are going anywhere even if the crew has enough hours.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Fr24 is suggesting you might be going back to miami
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:20 am

Update from captain: based of preliminary inspections they think it's an issue with an AC recirculating fan that's causing the smoke. The problem is that this now requires heavy testing to confirm that it is indeed the source of the problem cos they're understandably not taking risks with fire. Next problem is that even if they isolate that as the problem, the mechanics here at BDA are not qualified to perform some sort of test necessary to continue to fly over water for more than 180 mins so continuing to London on this plane is out of the question.

Two possible options were presented. Either wait for this problem to be sorted and then fly back to MIA or AA will send out a new plane here and we'll then continue to LHR.

Next problem and I'll be honest, this made me chuckle: NASA have a launch in a couple of hours. That's causing issues and delays with Florida airspace and putting quite a squeeze on us flying into MIA or a sourcing a new crew and plane to fly out to us.
onanisland, wrp96 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:52 am

Update from captain: based of preliminary inspections they think it's an issue with an AC recirculating fan that's causing the smoke. The problem is that this now requires heavy testing to confirm that it is indeed the source of the problem cos they're understandably not taking risks with fire. Next problem is that even if they isolate that as the problem, the mechanics here at BDA are not qualified to perform some sort of test necessary to continue to fly over water for more than 180 mins so continuing to London on this plane is out of the question.

Two possible options were presented. Either wait for this problem to be sorted and then fly back to MIA or AA will send out a new plane here and we'll then continue to LHR.

Next problem and I'll be honest, this made me chuckle: NASA have a launch in a couple of hours. That's causing issues and delays with Florida airspace and putting quite a squeeze on us flying into MIA or a sourcing a new crew and plane to fly out to us.
The firat part of this post is what I was alluding to in post #10
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Good luck. I have NO access to any secret source of crew information or maintenance information. Just 40 years of lots of flying and some understanding of the regulatory system. You have one of those rare problems where the solution isn't going to be simple, even for an airline as large as AA.

[OP might not want to read the next portions of this post because it might be stressful.] Just because this is FT, and speculation is part of the fun, I am going to guess the following. AA will not (and perhaps cannot) fly a qualified maintenance crew and testing equipment to BDA. Also, [my relatively uneducated guess is] they will not fly a new plane to BDA to continue this trip. And they will not risk putting the passengers onto a plane with an unknown fire issue (even if they "think" that it isn't a problem). Instead, they will need to send a "rescue" flight to get the passengers back to MIA where they will try to figure out who wants to go to LHR and who wants to go home (with some compensation for everyone - it is safety related but this just isn't the normal disruption - some people won't get to LHR for 2-3 days). THIS IS SPECULATION BY AN INDIVIDUAL, NOT ANY INSIDER INFORMATION.
onanisland and Chiller3333 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
[OP might not want to read the next portions of this post because it might be stressful.] Just because this is FT, and speculation is part of the fun, I am going to guess the following. AA will not (and perhaps cannot) fly a qualified maintenance crew and testing equipment to BDA. Also, [my relatively uneducated guess is] they will not fly a new plane to BDA to continue this trip. And they will not risk putting the passengers onto a plane with an unknown fire issue (even if they "think" that it isn't a problem). Instead, they will need to send a "rescue" flight to get the passengers back to MIA where they will try to figure out who wants to go to LHR and who wants to go home (with some compensation for everyone - it is safety related but this just isn't the normal disruption - some people won't get to LHR for 2-3 days). THIS IS SPECULATION BY AN INDIVIDUAL, NOT ANY INSIDER INFORMATION.
Don't worry, not that drastic. Captain just announced 0% chance of our current plane leaving. Apparently they've ripped up half the ceiling looking for the problem. So they're sending a plane from JFK after the rocket launch. So quite a significant delay but still manageable. The problem for me is that I'm now missing my connection...

Side question: I booked this thru BA. Do I claim compensation from BA or AA?
onanisland and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
So they're sending a plane from JFK after the rocket launch.
That is now showing on AA's flight status page.

As a side issue, the rocket launch is the first and unmanned test of the new moon project. Unmanned, but not empty. I see in my paper this morning that Shaun the Sheep is going along for the ride. One giant leap for lambkind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.