Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancel / Cancellation / Cancelled / Delay / Diversion 2021-22 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

2021 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)

link to archive of 2020 thread.
link to archive of 2019 thread.
link to archive of 2018 thread.

Print Wikipost

Flight Cancel / Cancellation / Cancelled / Delay / Diversion 2021-22 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pxm
Looks like the diversion was not long - landed at 2:28 and departed at 3:36 p.m. As it relates to the Safe Travels Program, I believe that if the diversion would have resulted in passengers arriving the following day in HNL, this may have caused issues for the passengers.
I assume they'd make an exception in a case like this? I mean, once the aircraft departs, the situation is what it is. There aren't opportunities that arise once the aircraft is on the way that are different in this case than normal.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
Of course in typical AA fashion the diversion happened after the flight took an unrelated one hour delay before ever departing ORD.
That extra landing and takeoff requires more fuel burn. They might have had to add fuel.
The could be other things they need to do before taking off again. Get approvals, flight plan, etc
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by pxm
Looks like the diversion was not long - landed at 2:28 and departed at 3:36 p.m. As it relates to the Safe Travels Program, I believe that if the diversion would have resulted in passengers arriving the following day in HNL, this may have caused issues for the passengers.
I don't think it would matter. The original departure date is the determining factor.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
That extra landing and takeoff requires more fuel burn. They might have had to add fuel.
The could be other things they need to do before taking off again. Get approvals, flight plan, etc
In SLC, yes. The delay in ORD is unrelated as they wouldn't have known anything about a diversion then.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I don't think it would matter. The original departure date is the determining factor.
Correct. Airline induced flight delays will not require an additional test. If the flight had to remain overnight in SLC, I suspect AA would have just delayed it to the following day instead of canceling it altogether. I had something similar occur in November flying DFW-OGG with rolling delays on multiple AA Hawaii flights and crew legality concerns - and AA said they would just delay the flight until the following day if necessary (instead of cancelling it) - partly due to testing validity concerns. Ultimately, we ended up departing DFW about 6hrs late but that did not cause testing problems for anyone.

A traveler who takes a test within 72 hours from the scheduled final leg of departure, and has a negative test result, and whose departure is delayed by the airline, will not be subject to the state 14-day quarantine.
-FlyerBeek
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Any news on 05JUN AA1427 SVD (Kingstown) - MIA ? Aborted take-off and subsequently cancelled. The a/c doesn't seem to have left SVD yet
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:00 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
LAS frustrations

Not off to a good start today. Traveling RDU-LAS, the original connecting flight via CLT (1553) was canceled. EXP desk (thanks Nancy!) was able to get me on a flight from RDU to DFW, connecting to AA 1550. An hour out of DFW, and just received a notice that AA 1550 was also canceled. ...?? Trying to access AA.com, but it shows unavailable.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA1967 on 10 June 2021 - PMUS 321 delayed due to thrust reverser issue

Sitting here on 1967 in SAT. Flight attendant started serving drinks in F. One hour late so far. Cant wait to hear the “would you please be seated to let people off with tight connections” announcement when we eventually land in Dallas.

Some people already got off the plane.

Plane is an old US 321
Old Jun 11, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Unpleasant with outside temperature of 93 degrees. Still, better to discover a thrust reverser issue before departure rather than upon landing.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Daze
Unpleasant with outside temperature of 93 degrees. Still, better to discover a thrust reverser issue before departure rather than upon landing.
well that's just it-the plane I was sitting on arrived at SAT with an inop thrust reverser. The problem was identified at DFW, thought it was fixed, and took off.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Sitting here on 1967 in SAT. Flight attendant started serving drinks in F. One hour late so far. Cant wait to hear the “would you please be seated to let people off with tight connections” announcement when we eventually land in Dallas.

Some people already got off the plane.

Plane is an old US 321
I may have been on the same plane as Enviroian. June 11th DEN-DFW-GNV. A321S was delayed leaving DFW. Then had a problem in DEN with the vacuum system for the lavs. Landed in DFW 2 hours late with no gate availability. Missed connecting flight and 30 minute wait time for the call center. Was able to standby for a JAX flight and then Uber home. This is the second trip I’m 2 weeks with mechanical or staffing issues resulting in flights missed or canceled.

Does anyone have recommendations for future IRROPs cases. I’m currently platinum and will be Platpro in a couple more trips. Should I expect any type of compensation if requested? Tonight was $100 Uber ride to get home.

Will agents be more willing to rebook on another airline (Delta) as a Pro? Would it be any better as EXP?
meechyathere likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 11:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by runnigel
Does anyone have recommendations for future IRROPs cases. I’m currently platinum and will be Platpro in a couple more trips. Should I expect any type of compensation if requested? Tonight was $100 Uber ride to get home.

Will agents be more willing to rebook on another airline (Delta) as a Pro? Would it be any better as EXP?
I do have a suggestion. About 30 years ago I was a VERY frequent flyer (500k BIS/year without leaving the US). My boss got stuck in St. Louis one day and called our secretary, very upset about delays, rescheduling, inconvenience and cost. She said to me "Why is he so upset, you never yell at me like that when you get stuck." I told her "He just doesn't fly enough." Translation: It stinks. But the more you fly, the less upset you get, because you learn to spend your time making alternative plans, rescheduling your appointments, etc. It just isn't worth the time to get $100 in compensation when your time is worth $500 per hour.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Two lessons learned from my Miami misadventure (any input welcome, I am Hardly an expert!)
1) Be proactive, research all alternatives and their corresponding gates (instead of napping on the plane as I did), and GET IN THE CALLBACK QUEUE whether you need it or not. The wait could be hours.
2) Keep receipts in case delay stretches long enough to trigger Chase/Amex trip delay, but don't expect anything from AA.
3) Don't be afraid to negotiate for reimbursement for incidentals in person/ at the gate, despite the long lines: it may be the last chance you get:
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I was scheduled to fly PHX-DFW-LFT this morning. Flight 698 PHX-DFW was cancelled late last night, something I discovered when I woke up this morning. The best the app could do was double connect me and get me to LFT around 9 to 10 PM. I called and was told that all PHX-DFW flights were full, and a double connect with a bridge stop in FLG, AUS, STL, or ROW, 10-12 hours trip time, arriving at 9:42 PM or later, was the best they could do. I asked to be put on United, arriving one hour later than scheduled, and they refused saying that the cancellation was due to weather. I ended up having them cancel and I booked my own ticket on UA, at about $190 more out of pocket. I have a huge slate of gas station inspections to do in Louisiana this week, and I couldn't afford to miss a whole day.

If I contacted AAdvantage after the trip, do you think they might give me the miles and EQDs that I missed due to the cancellation? I'm going to get close to PPro this year, and this was a relatively high dollar trip that I was counting on for the EQDs to get me there.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I was scheduled to fly PHX-DFW-LFT this morning. Flight 698 PHX-DFW was cancelled late last night, something I discovered when I woke up this morning. The best the app could do was double connect me and get me to LFT around 9 to 10 PM. I called and was told that all PHX-DFW flights were full, and a double connect with a bridge stop in FLG, AUS, STL, or ROW, 10-12 hours trip time, arriving at 9:42 PM or later, was the best they could do. I asked to be put on United, arriving one hour later than scheduled, and they refused saying that the cancellation was due to weather. I ended up having them cancel and I booked my own ticket on UA, at about $190 more out of pocket. I have a huge slate of gas station inspections to do in Louisiana this week, and I couldn't afford to miss a whole day.

If I contacted AAdvantage after the trip, do you think they might give me the miles and EQDs that I missed due to the cancellation? I'm going to get close to PPro this year, and this was a relatively high dollar trip that I was counting on for the EQDs to get me there.
If you turned down an alternative flight arrangement due to weather and rebooked on another airline probably not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.