Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancel / Cancellation / Cancelled / Delay / Diversion 2021-22 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

2021 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)

link to archive of 2020 thread.
link to archive of 2019 thread.
link to archive of 2018 thread.

Print Wikipost

Flight Cancel / Cancellation / Cancelled / Delay / Diversion 2021-22 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
the diverted flight was not diverted due to weather, it was diverted to STL for an MX
Isn't the A321 normal ceiling 39800?
I believe the reference was to the flight on the same route today which was taking the 'southern' route.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It looks like flight 32 diverted to PHL yesterday, June 30th.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by marnold3
It looks like flight 32 diverted to PHL yesterday, June 30th.
Looks like it didn't. Just a few turns in a hold near Norfolk/VA Beach:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...040Z/KLAX/KJFK
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
6h36m eastbound! Ouch.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Herb687
I did see that flight path on flightaware but also saw this unusual flight status report on the AA website. I must admit it was hard to figure out what that meant.

https://www.aa.com/travelInformation...,30&ref=search
Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA1923 RNO-DFW Diverted to PHX

2 AA1923Y 11JUL S RNODFW HK2 229P 754P HRS

4DFW/OUT1219 OFF1229 *1229
1DFW/INTMD LNDG AT PHX PRE1630RMKS

FTWDP CAROLINE JORDAN *1545
2RNO/IN1332 *1534
4RNO/OUT1421 OFF1441 *1641
3PHX/ETD1715 WXL-DELAY DUE TO WX CONDS AT BOAR
2PHX/ETA1625 *1818
3 OTH AA 07JAN F GK1 DFW/INFO/RETENTION

Can anyone suss out why this departure was diverted to PHX? I know the planes are weight restricted out of RNO due to the extremely hot temps. My guess is they limited fuel to takeoff and had to stop in PHX to refuel to get to DFW- could I be right, or could we have an unruly pax situation?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Could very well be due to weight restrictions. Either limit fuel and add an intermediate refueling stop, or limit pax. Years ago my son and I were on standby for a RNO-DFW flight on an MD-80. There were plenty of seats available but it was weight restricted due to temps and altitude. They only determined at the last minute that they could take us on.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by italiakd
2 AA1923Y 11JUL S RNODFW HK2 229P 754P HRS

4DFW/OUT1219 OFF1229 *1229
1DFW/INTMD LNDG AT PHX PRE1630RMKS

FTWDP CAROLINE JORDAN *1545
2RNO/IN1332 *1534
4RNO/OUT1421 OFF1441 *1641
3PHX/ETD1715 WXL-DELAY DUE TO WX CONDS AT BOAR
2PHX/ETA1625 *1818
3 OTH AA 07JAN F GK1 DFW/INFO/RETENTION

Can anyone suss out why this departure was diverted to PHX? I know the planes are weight restricted out of RNO due to the extremely hot temps. My guess is they limited fuel to takeoff and had to stop in PHX to refuel to get to DFW- could I be right, or could we have an unruly pax situation?
Could definitely be limited fuel. Generally the hotter it is, the higher take off speed required and it crept up over 100 F in RNO today. RNO also has a very short runway so take off speed is probably quite limited if it was taking off out of 7/25 which is only 6102 ft long.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
RNO also has a very short runway so take off speed is probably quite limited if it was taking off out of 7/25 which is only 6102 ft long.
Air carriers seldom use the shortest runway. The primary runway at RNO 16R/34L is over two miles long.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Tanic
Air carriers seldom use the shortest runway. The primary runway at RNO 16R/34L is over two miles long.
Absolutely right, but even with the length of 16L/16R, given KRNO's high elevation and temperatures there could still be weight limitations. Not saying that's what happened here, but seems likely to me.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:56 pm

Looking at the flight on FlightAware and comparing it to yesterday’s flight it looks like they flew south instead of east to get around a number of thunderstorms in the west and decided to wait on the ground in PHX for a huge mass of thunderstorms over Texas to clear.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
RNO has a special (complex) engine out procedure due to proximate terrain. High temperatures would reduce engine-out performance so weight would be restricted. Pretty sure RWY 7/25 is not used by air carriers.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was on AA 494 last night, the 10:50 PM CLT-RDU operated by an A-320. We pushed back close to on time and then sat on the taxiway. Eventually the captain let us know there was a computer issue they were hoping to reset. They could not reset it so after 40 minute we returned to the gate. It took close to an hour for maintenance to arrive and when they did they declared the aircraft unable to be flown at night. The crew then timed out. We all got off and were told the flight would go at 6:30 AM. We were given vouchers to the Wingate by Wyndham Charlotte Airport which does not have a 24 hour shuttle. I spent $50 on an Uber and a cab to get to and from a hotel 3 miles away. The check in agent at the hotel told me she had warned the gate agent about their lack of shuttle but he didn't pass on the info. Really frustrating experience all around.
mastertrust likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Gullywhumper
Looking at the flight on FlightAware and comparing it to yesterday’s flight it looks like they flew south instead of east to get around a number of thunderstorms in the west and decided to wait on the ground in PHX for a huge mass of thunderstorms over Texas to clear.
I think you're probably right. Sit time in PHX was too low to refuel. Looks like they asked for volunteers to get off in RNO but it wasn't deemed necessary.

I also saw that the Noon departure on 7/10 had a 75 minute or so taxi - waiting for the winds to shift. Bet that was fun.

Last edited by italiakd; Jul 12, 2021 at 10:09 am
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: US DM, UA MP
AA (PSA) 5390 11 July Diversion

Hello 🙂. I was booked on AA 5390, ROC - DCA yesterday afternoon but was fortunate enough to get bumped (yay!).

From what I can gather, it made one attempt to land at DCA and then circled at about 5,000 feet for 30 minutes before diverting to IAD. Weather in the DC-area would not have been a factor from what I can tell.

I was just wondering if anyone knows the cause of the diversion? At first I thought it could have been low fuel but they seemed to be on the ground an awfully long time at IAD if it was truly a gas-n-go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.