Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2021 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2021 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by enviroian
bird feed with a side of alpo

*or*

turkey slapped on a circle K roll
Lol, was hoping to choose the least offensive out of the bunch. DH flew first on AS last week and had hot meals on his flights that he said was pretty tasty. Jealous.
cmd320 and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Plat
LAX - DCA

AA: LAX-DCA: 109PM
Dec 10 2021

Lunch

A321neo

First Class

Drink orders were taken a bit after cruising // bumpy air on takeoff // and were refilled often. Snacks in basket in galley but not offered in the cabin at first you had to discover it if you walked up front. After everyone started getting up to investigate and came back with snacks, it was then offered in cabin. Friendly crew and seemed to be a good team helping one another (except with the snacks )

Choice of:

Pimento Cheese on Pretzel Roll w Hummus & Veggies and side of fruit

Turkey Sandwich on Pretzel Roll w Potato Salad on Arugula. Heavily Cheese’d side Salad
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: AA Plat
Aa dca - lax

AA: DCA - LAX 4:30PM

Dec 12, 2021

“Lunch”

A321neo

First Class

Drink orders were taken and filled but not much refilling unless you walked up or hit the call. Glasses and trash not cleared until almost landing. Crew from the back grabbed things as they came up front (and seemed genuinely surprised)

drinks were in real glasses
nuts were in a plastic package

Choice of:

Wheatberry Salad with raisins, feta and nuts (WOOF) with a side of green beans (it was crunchy pea snack)side of fruit and hummus and veggies

Turkey Aioli Sandwich with potato salad and Parmesan salad

I’ve had my share of challenging airline meals but the wheatberry salad is among the worst for me. I couldn’t choke it down. Odd flavor combo and textures. Crunchy, Mushy, Sweet but with a savory vinaigrette. Sadly the Hummus was watery and the veggies were soggy.

The kicker was the wafting savory smell of hot short ribs for the crew after our cold 530pm “lunch” They heated up several trays that went up front and to the back. I’m all for hot meals for the team but would be nice to get one too. Or a fruit and cheese plate at least.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:57 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by zimmee927
The kicker was the wafting savory smell of hot short ribs for the crew after our cold 530pm “lunch” They heated up several trays that went up front and to the back. I’m all for hot meals for the team but would be nice to get one too. Or a fruit and cheese plate at least.
Flight attendants do not get crew meals on domestic flights, only the pilots do. If hot food was carried to the back, it is something that they brought with them.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
Flight attendants do not get crew meals on domestic flights, only the pilots do. If hot food was carried to the back, it is something that they brought with them.
Or one of the pilots said no thank you and it was carried to a hungry and willing FA in the back?
BWISkyGuy and robertablake like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
HNL-LAX
Dinner
A321Neo

Guess this meal is actually an upgrade over what was served pre-COVID on the red-eyes out of Hawaii, at least quantity-wise. Other choice was the taco salad thing. I guess I'm weird, but I really like the potato salad. Drinks keep re-filled as needed by the attentive flight attendant. International Premium Economy pillow/blanket were provided as well.

American Airlines Dinner HNL-LAX
Carfield likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I guess I'm weird, but I really like the potato salad.
Were your potatoes not crunchy? I've tried it a few times and mine are always crunchy so I don't eat it. The fresh dill is a nice touch though.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Or one of the pilots said no thank you and it was carried to a hungry and willing FA in the back?
Perhaps they should have drawn a name from the flight manifest to pick a lucky 1st class passenger.
keyw likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
MIA-LAX J

Didn't start off well with no menus provided. FA had a menu while taking meal orders that I could look at.

Service started with hot towels (first I've seen this since Covid), followed by drink orders with ramekin of nuts.

Then an all on one tray meal (appetizer, main, dessert). Warm breads from basket were offered.

Dessert was the cheesecake tart. Did sundaes not return to this route?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:20 am

Turkey Aioli Sandwich with potato salad and Parmesan salad

Its no wonder turkey prices were out of sight for Thanksgiving. I think AA just have tried to corner the market.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:45 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Another disAApointing experience last week, this time on LAX-LIH. We took the evening flight out. Despite arriving at the airport an hour before boarding, the line for Hawaii Pre-Clear wristbands was long and did not move. They only seemed to have two agents working the lines, which were separated into HNL, LIH, OGG and KOA lines. We were still in line when they called for final boarding, so we bailed. We were seated in First so knew we'd be first off the plane in LIH. That was disappointment #1.

Disappointment #2 was the service experience onboard. Pertinent to this thread: there is no differentiated meal service on their Hawaii routes from LAX or PHX. It's the same cold plated garbage found throughout their route network. Options were a turkey sandwich on pretzel bread or the dreaded pimento cheese on pretzel bread. When they got to my row they were naturally out of turkey. So pimento cheese it was. Served with a package of crackers, a Brookie, a plate of gritty hummus and carrots and a side salad that continues to be more parmesan than salad. They served a single round of drinks. Drinks and meals were cleared within 50 minutes of takeoff and no additional service was provided for the remaining 5 hours or so, beyond handing out the agricultural forms.

I mean, I understand minimizing customer interactions, but there's nothing that is making the AA travel experience differentiated (at least not in a good way) right now. The poorly managed Hawaii Pre-Clear experience was just the icing on the cake. We took UA back to LAX and despite a fairly decrepit old 737-800 with poor lumbar support, the whole flight was much more enjoyable. Hot meals and more than a single round of drink felt like a huge upgrade, but service was exceptional too. Friendly, personal and warm.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dll
Another disAApointing experience last week, this time on LAX-LIH. We took the evening flight out. Despite arriving at the airport an hour before boarding, the line for Hawaii Pre-Clear wristbands was long and did not move. They only seemed to have two agents working the lines, which were separated into HNL, LIH, OGG and KOA lines. We were still in line when they called for final boarding, so we bailed. We were seated in First so knew we'd be first off the plane in LIH. That was disappointment #1.

Disappointment #2 was the service experience onboard. Pertinent to this thread: there is no differentiated meal service on their Hawaii routes from LAX or PHX. It's the same cold plated garbage found throughout their route network. Options were a turkey sandwich on pretzel bread or the dreaded pimento cheese on pretzel bread. When they got to my row they were naturally out of turkey. So pimento cheese it was. Served with a package of crackers, a Brookie, a plate of gritty hummus and carrots and a side salad that continues to be more parmesan than salad. They served a single round of drinks. Drinks and meals were cleared within 50 minutes of takeoff and no additional service was provided for the remaining 5 hours or so, beyond handing out the agricultural forms.

I mean, I understand minimizing customer interactions, but there's nothing that is making the AA travel experience differentiated (at least not in a good way) right now. The poorly managed Hawaii Pre-Clear experience was just the icing on the cake. We took UA back to LAX and despite a fairly decrepit old 737-800 with poor lumbar support, the whole flight was much more enjoyable. Hot meals and more than a single round of drink felt like a huge upgrade, but service was exceptional too. Friendly, personal and warm.
Yep. There is a huge difference in what AA is offering compared to UA on the LAX-Hawaii routes right now. And the Oasis seats on the A321Neo's are a literal PITA on flights of this length. Only plus were the premium economy pillows/blankets. FYI if you find yourself on the misfortune of flying AA to Hawaii through LAX, they are doing wristbands in the T4 Admirals Club if you have access.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:29 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Yep. There is a huge difference in what AA is offering compared to UA on the LAX-Hawaii routes right now. And the Oasis seats on the A321Neo's are a literal PITA on flights of this length. Only plus were the premium economy pillows/blankets. FYI if you find yourself on the misfortune of flying AA to Hawaii through LAX, they are doing wristbands in the T4 Admirals Club if you have access.
Oh didn't mention the atrocity of the A321Neo. First/business class seats on these birds (and the newly refitted other A321s) are torture for flights of this length. I found it impossible to get comfortable without sliding down.

And thank you for the tip on T4 Admirals Club - if I find myself in the unfortunate position of flying AA on these routes to Hawaii again I'll take advantage!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by econ
MIA-LAX J
Dessert was the cheesecake tart. Did sundaes not return to this route?
For the time being, MIA does not have any ice cream. Catering can’t purchase any due to a shortage.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dll

even pre-covid it was pretty bad to Hawaii. I switched all my trips over to HA or AS worst case especially now that AS is one world. I am forced to fly AA on one last leg this week back from the islands to hit Ex Plat again and I always stop at Foodalnd to get some poke for the flight. 😁
Kawliga likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.