Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Can someone remind me why it's "prefunds" and not "refunds.aa.com"? Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
Made a stupid mistake...missed the expiration date of a trip credit (approx $2000) and it expired last Friday. I looked thru the thread to get an idea whether I'm out the money or whether AA will reinstate the credit (or refund it to me). I suspect that I am out the $$ but hope that someone has an idea that will help me out.

**EDIT: AA takes a lot of hits for good reason but they came thru in this case. I sent in a comment/complaint via the website about the expiration of this credit and they reinstated it with a brand new one. Very grateful to them.
bryanb and A CT Yankee like this.

Last edited by Fly'nAAgain; Oct 19, 2023 at 10:00 am
Old Oct 22, 2023, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Using a flight or trip credit for another passenger

I seem to recall that there may be some way a passenger can apply a trip credit or a flight credit for a different passenger. In this case a friend wants to apply it for a flight for his daughter. Same last name, if that matters. Not sure if my friend has a flight or trip credit.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Trip credits can be used by anyone. Flight credits cannot.
asnovici likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Trip credits can be used by anyone. Flight credits cannot.
Thanks. No work around for the latter?
Old Oct 22, 2023, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
If you partially use a flight credit you get a trip credit for the remainder.
asnovici, Antarius and bryanb like this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Either buy a cheap flight and get a trip credit as VegasGambler suggested or write to Customer Relations asking if it can be converted.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you partially use a flight credit you get a trip credit for the remainder.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Either buy a cheap flight and get a trip credit as VegasGambler suggested or write to Customer Relations asking if it can be converted.
Many thanks to both of you.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 8:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Many thanks to both of you.
you can also book a ticket using a flight credit for slightly more than the amount of the credit for the original passenger it was issued to. Then wait until after midnight the day after it was purchased and then cancel the flight and the whole ticket amount should be issued as a trip credit which can be used on a ticket for anyone.
Happy and bryanb like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
you can also book a ticket using a flight credit for slightly more than the amount of the credit for the original passenger it was issued to. Then wait until after midnight the day after it was purchased and then cancel the flight and the whole ticket amount should be issued as a trip credit which can be used on a ticket for anyone.
Editing/Updating to say this works with ease. I barely made the midnight cut off to get both flight credits booked. Got one at 1157pm Dallas time & the next at 1159pm. Took my 2 $149 FC's and found a $159 ticket and added in $10 x 2 and then waited until tonight after midnight Dallas time and got a Trip credit for the full amount immediately. That worked perfect.

Unfortunately when wanting to take these 2 trip credits and put the $318 towards a cheap $324 Tokyo-LAX fare I found I dont believe its letting me as its not showing anywhere to input the credits. I guess you cant use them on flighs departing from outside the US. Not sure why that matters as long as its on AA metal.
bryanb likes this.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Oct 25, 2023 at 1:57 am
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Looking for any advice on using Flight Credits:
  1. We're outside the US so apparently need to call to book, is that correct? [wondering if the FT horde has found any workarounds...]
  2. Most itineraries are coming up as not all AA metal/codes - am I right in thinking that I can't put non-AA stuff on hold so the agent doesn't have to construct it? Previously had trouble getting agents to use BA/IB codes so would be nice if I can construct online - though those were for invol changes IIRC.
  3. Previous ticket was issued in US POS, do I need to match that for the new one? [differing availability of flight options]
  4. How concerned should I be that the Flight Credit checker doesn't bring up my credits?!
Many thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, IHG One Rewards Diamond, Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus
Question, re: Trip Credit and a Child

Would appreciate any advice. Two weeks ago, my 12 year old daughter and I were in nonrefundable paid F on a DCA-ALB-DCA itinerary to attend a family wedding. We flew up to Albany, and then she tested positive for COVID the day after we arrived, so rather than fly home, I changed the drop-off location on my Avis rental to DCA and we drove home. At the time, I called AA to cancel the return flights and was told that there was some value remaining that could be applied to future travel, but that they couldn't tell me how much value remained until I booked another ticket and called to apply the credit - which made no sense whatsoever. Tonight, I'm trying to book another DCA-ALB-DCA trip with my daughter, again in paid F. The agent is telling me that I have more than $600 in a Trip Credit from the unused return segment that can be applied to this new itinerary. But, she said AA does not issue Trip Credits to children and therefore there is zero value for my daughter's unused return ticket. She said it's a longstanding company policy. I cannot find any reference to such a policy in any of the T&C regarding Travel Credits on the AA website. Further, she told me that since I am using my Trip Credit as partial payment for my ticket, she needs to separate my daughter and I, and put us on different records with a note to link the reservations. I get that the original ticket was nonrefundable, but I have never been told by any airline that a child's ticket is treated differently when a credit is issued, nor have I ever had to split itineraries based on the method of payment for one of the parties traveling - in this case, because I am using a Trip Credit as partial payment. I am now going on 45 minutes on the phone with the agent. I'd Hang Up and Call Again, but I waited an hour to get the call back to speak with an agent to begin with! I'm a Delta Diamond 3 Million Miler and know the Delta rules and processes inside out. Can some AA Experts tell me: Does American really not issue Trip Credits for children? Do they really go to the trouble of issuing separate reservations and locator numbers because one passenger is using a Trip Credit and the other (a minor child!) is not? Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:25 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
How much were each of the tickets when originally booked?

Your original reservations would have had 2 distinct ticket numbers starting with 001. Check emails for your original confirmations. Then call in again and ask them what the residual value on each of those tickets is.
Did you both have an AA account that you can log into and look at the available trip credits?
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, IHG One Rewards Diamond, Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus
Each ticket was $1,017.80, round-trip. I gave the agent both ticket numbers at the start of the call. And, I had logged into my AA account before I called, but it showed no Trip Credits at all. Makes no sense. In the end, the agent was able to put us on the same reservation, but reiterated that AA does not issue Trip Credits to minors. I will be calling back tomorrow to speak to another agent!
Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:08 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by N714DA
Each ticket was $1,017.80, round-trip. I gave the agent both ticket numbers at the start of the call. And, I had logged into my AA account before I called, but it showed no Trip Credits at all. Makes no sense. In the end, the agent was able to put us on the same reservation, but reiterated that AA does not issue Trip Credits to minors. I will be calling back tomorrow to speak to another agent!
I have no actual experience with this issue, but if I had to venture a guess, I'd bet that AA does have such a policy but that the agent was mistaken in applying it to this situation, where you as the parent/guardian are the one making the travel arrangements, and even traveling with the minor on both itineraries. Rather, it sounds to me like a policy that is intended to prevent minors (or possibly other adults) from independently canceling and rebooking a ticket without the knowledge of the responsible parent. Eg, teen cancels parent-purchased ticket for a family trip and uses the residual value to run away from home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.