Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well of course not. That would enable you to turn a nonrefundable ticket refundable. That's an industry-wide "no."
ksucats and gophish11 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
So, my similar experiences today. Very close in I had to cancel a departure date of the 8th, but uncertain if I'd be able to leave the 9th or the 10th. I came up with the (less than) Brillant plan of using soon to expire Trip Credits to book both days. For the flight on the 9th, I had to add about $40.00 onto the $700 Trip Credit to complete the purchase. That Trip Credit was expiring Sept 30, 2023.

The 8/9 flight, I booked on 8/6, the confirmation email is timestamped received 1156pm EDT, but the ticket actually says booked 8/7. Very odd & have no idea why that happened. Because of this however, when I canceled on 8/8, the system didn't treat it as a simple Trip Credit - Reissue, but instead as a 24 refund. (Confirmed later by an agent.)

My confirmation email for the cancellation said I'd be receiving a flight credit. For the evening of 8/8, and though 6-7am this morning, the Flight Credit was showing in my account. Only at the top level with the record locator and a new expiration date that was odd and didn't correlate to a date that made sense (Nov 15, 2023). However, when I tried to access the supporting docs, with the ticket numbers and refund amounts, kept getting an "access denied" error. Then this morning, I received an email stating the $40 had been refunded to my credit card and my refund was complete. Went back and looked again in my account, and the Flight Credit had vanished.

Called an agent at that point. She told me that despite seeing the Flight Credit briefly, the $700 Trip Credit would be reissued as a Trip Credit. But that because I canceled within 24 hours, it would go to the refunds department, and would be 7-14 business days before showing up in my account. The agent advised never cancelling a Trip or Flight Credit online within 24 hours. She said if I cancelled after 24 hours, a new trip credit for $740 would have been generated immediately. Instead, the $40 went back to my credit card and the trip credit will take weeks to be refunded and reissued to my account. She advised calling and ask for the Credit to be applied to another flight that can be cancelled online later, rather than cancelling online within 24 hours. I asked if the expiration date would still be 9/30 even though I'd lose access for several weeks. She thought it would be reissued for a year later but wasn't sure. She said she couldn't call the Refunds desk to discuss, because they don't open until 9am MST.

So for anyone who's still hanging in there after this long post, I kind of screwed myself by trying to be a good guy and get the flight back into the system as soon as I knew I wouldn't take it. But the whole 24 scenario with the Flight & Trip credit was new to me. It seemed like the agent was giving me sage guidance for the future, to either wait to cancel past the 24-hour point, or if must cancel prior, call to cancel and have the credit reapplied. If you then cancel that flight after the 24-hour point online, you'll still have your Trip Credit available weeks sooner.

Oh - and post-note - I did recall later today that any time I cancel a partner award ticket, the tax payment shows up processing as a Flight Credit for 12-24 hours, and then just vanishes. That was probably the same case with the 24 hour refund briefly showing up this way, before the additional $$ were sent back to my credit card.
I did something very similar. I booked a flight with trip credit. Then I cancelled this flight within 24 hrs and it showed the message saying the refund will be returned to the original form of payment. Were you ever able to get your trip credit back? How long did it take? Was the refund put in the original flight ticket trip credit or would I get an additional trip credit?
I called AA and the agent said I just needed to wait a couple days.

thanks!!
Old Nov 18, 2023, 4:59 pm

Schedule change based refund if all purchased on trip credits?

I asked a similar question in Delta, but since I have a good amount of trip credits on American, thought Id ask here too for how it works on American:

What happens if I have a flight (purchased all with trip credits) that has a schedule change or cancellation that doesnt work for me? If its a main non-refundable ticket and a change of a number of hours, specifically. I know i can call American and have them to change to different flights on same route +/- a few days or else cancel.

But if I prefer they cancel in this case - will
they give me new credits only or will they refund to a credit card (either a new one, or to the original form of payment that eventually led to the credits - no matter how old)?

Thanks! I hadnt seen this one mentioned so was curious. I know if cancelled on my own, it would go back to credits, but wasnt sure how it worked if it triggered a schedule change (or cancellation) based refund.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by italdesign
DP: made a reservation for 2 pax months ago. Cancelled today and got a TC in each of our accounts good for a year from today. Very happy to not get FC.

TC expiration date is the book by date, travel can be after that, right?
how would AA handle issuing the e-credits if we’re crediting the flights to our AS accounts?
Old Nov 19, 2023, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17
I asked a similar question in Delta, but since I have a good amount of trip credits on American, thought Id ask here too for how it works on American:

What happens if I have a flight (purchased all with trip credits) that has a schedule change or cancellation that doesnt work for me? If its a main non-refundable ticket and a change of a number of hours, specifically. I know i can call American and have them to change to different flights on same route +/- a few days or else cancel.

But if I prefer they cancel in this case - will
they give me new credits only or will they refund to a credit card (either a new one, or to the original form of payment that eventually led to the credits - no matter how old)?

Thanks! I hadnt seen this one mentioned so was curious. I know if cancelled on my own, it would go back to credits, but wasnt sure how it worked if it triggered a schedule change (or cancellation) based refund.
If your ticket was purchased using trip credits, they will just reissue you the same amount in trip credits if you cancel.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by fly747first
If your ticket was purchased using trip credits, they will just reissue you the same amount in trip credits if you cancel.
What will those expiration dates be? The original ones or a year from the date of re-issue?
Old Nov 19, 2023, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
What will those expiration dates be? The original ones or a year from the date of re-issue?
Trip credits should keep the same dates. You can't kick the can down the road forever.

Flight credits are different
Old Nov 19, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I had a trip to TLV in late November purchased partially with a credit. They offered a rebooking to a later date or cancel/refund. I chose the latter. They created a new flight credit expiring one year from the date they processed the refund and the rest was refunded back to the original form of payment.
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripe
I had a trip to TLV in late November purchased partially with a credit. They offered a rebooking to a later date or cancel/refund. I chose the latter. They created a new flight credit expiring one year from the date they processed the refund and the rest was refunded back to the original form of payment.
New flight credit or new trip credit? I don't believe it would be possible for them to create a flight credit for a partial amount like that (though I could be wrong). Also flight credits generally never get new expiration dates; they keep the expiration date of the original ticket, which would be a year from the originally scheduled travel start date (a flight credit is essentially a ticket with unused funds on it)

Generally when you use a flight credit and cancel or have a residual amount, they will create a trip credit for that, with a new expiriation date.

Also, generally, when you use a trip credit, and cancel, or they need to issue a residual amount, they create a new trip credit with the same expiration as the original trip credit's expiration.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
New flight credit or new trip credit? I don't believe it would be possible for them to create a flight credit for a partial amount like that (though I could be wrong). Also flight credits generally never get new expiration dates; they keep the expiration date of the original ticket, which would be a year from the originally scheduled travel start date (a flight credit is essentially a ticket with unused funds on it)

Generally when you use a flight credit and cancel or have a residual amount, they will create a trip credit for that, with a new expiriation date.

Also, generally, when you use a trip credit, and cancel, or they need to issue a residual amount, they create a new trip credit with the same expiration as the original trip credit's expiration.
It is a trip credit. I can't recall whether I used a trip credit or a flight credit to book the original ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:17 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K

I thought the expiration of flight credits is a year from date the ticket was issued, not a year from the date travel commences?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:19 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Trip credits should keep the same dates. You can't kick the can down the road forever.

Flight credits are different
if you book a new flight that costs a little more than your trip credit and pay the difference (eg with a credit card) then wait for after midnight the day after you ticket and then cancel theres a good chance you will get a trip credit with a new expiration that is 1 year from the date you cancelled.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 1:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
What happens if I book with a flight credit (not trip credit) and some additional cash to cover the fare difference, and become eligible for a refund due to a schedule change?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 3:02 am

No.

Originally Posted by dkc192
What happens if I book with a flight credit (not trip credit) and some additional cash to cover the fare difference, and become eligible for a refund due to a schedule change?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Stripe
Wonder since TLV is under a travel alert if this impacts the offered expiration date of flight and trip credits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.