Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Nov 22, 2023, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 777lover
No.
With all due respect, this is not a helpful response. Do you (or anyone else) have an answer to my actual question?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc192
What happens if I book with a flight credit (not trip credit) and some additional cash to cover the fare difference, and become eligible for a refund due to a schedule change?
To answer my original question, got the entire amount refunded to my credit card.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, Bonvoy Ambassador, United, Delta
I am trying to understand what will happen in this situation. I used three trip credits to book flights for hubby and me. Two were converted from an originally issued flight credit (I used the book a cheap flight to trigger the first one which was the balance left from the original flight credit, and after canceling the cheap flight, a trip credit was issued along with the email that some have mentioned here "we are converting").

Now, it looks like we are either cancelling both flights or I will go solo and cancel hubby's flight. What will be issued a trip credit or a flight credit? And, do they get divided between the two of us if we both cancel, or do they go back to me as the owner of the original one? I assume if only he cancels, it goes to him. I can then try the cheap flight trick and hopefully trigger a trip credit. BUT, can I use the trip credit booking via my sign-in or does he have to book it for me to use it?

Also seems like some are saying AA is moving to all trip credits as a matter of course but I can't see this on the website.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EP, Bonvoy Ambassador, United, Delta
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
if you book a new flight that costs a little more than your trip credit and pay the difference (eg with a credit card) then wait for after midnight the day after you ticket and then cancel theres a good chance you will get a trip credit with a new expiration that is 1 year from the date you cancelled.
I am trying to understand what will happen in this situation. I used three trip credits to book flights for hubby and me. Two were converted from an originally issued flight credit (I used the book a cheap flight to trigger the first one which was the balance left from the original flight credit, and after canceling the cheap flight, a trip credit was issued along with the email that some have mentioned here "we are converting").

Now, it looks like we are either cancelling both flights or I will go solo and cancel hubby's flight. What will be issued a trip credit or a flight credit? And, do they get divided between the two of us if we both cancel, or do they go back to me as the owner of the original one? I assume if only he cancels, it goes to him. I can then try the cheap flight trick and hopefully trigger a trip credit. BUT, can I use the trip credit booking via my sign-in or does he have to book it for me to use it?

Also seems like some are saying AA is moving to all trip credits as a matter of course but I can't see this on the website.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 10:48 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Good evening. I have been reading this thread and doing Google searches in an attempt to understand AA’s Flight Credit and Trip credit. It would be appreciated if some of you could confirm that I am or provide me with a correction. Thank you in advance.

1. Flight Credit

I purchased a ticket on April 5 for a flight departing on 1/29/2024. If I cancel this flight I will receive a Flight Credit for the full amount of my Purchase price. I will have one year from the date that I cancel the flight and receive the Flight credit. The flight that I book with the Flight Credit has to depart by the one year period Which in this example would be the one year from when I cancel the trip. A Flight Credit has to be used for a flight to the original owner of the ticket. Only one Flight credit can be used at a time per reservation even if multiple travelers are on the reservations.

2. Trip Credit.
I purchase a ticket on April 6 for a flight on 2/20/2024. I find the fare has come down. I ask for a down fare for the lower cost. AA issues me a trip credit of the flight fare difference. I have to use the credit one year from the date that AA issues the trip credit. I can apply this credit to anyone in my party on a new ticket. And multiple credits can be used on a single reservation.

3. Can both 1 or 2 been executed in line? Or do I need to call?

I am still unsure of when I have to use each of the two credits.

Thanks.

Last edited by jagoffee; Nov 29, 2023 at 12:01 pm
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:58 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
jagoffee,

You'll most likely get trip credits for both of them. AA is been trying to get away from flight credits for a while now since it seems that flight credits were causing them much more trouble because of their relative inflexibility compared to trip credits. I've cancelled and rebooked several tickets for lower fares in the last year and a half. AA issues a trip credit for the original reservation(s) and then a new trip credit for the fare diference when I rebook. Depending on what time you do it there might be a short delay (less than an hour) if you hit their end of the accounting day when they close the books for that day.
jagoffee likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:46 pm

Well, Chase finally determined that it received the refund and returned it to American back in late August, about ten days after American initially sent it to Chase. American still can't find it. Since it was only $11.20, I asked American for 5,000 miles and call it a day. and they quickly gave me the miles and told me the refund will turn up sooner or later, at which point I would receive a check in the mail.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Sounds like a great deal.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 11:18 am

MAJOR Glitch in Trip Credit Balance Policy

I cannot find this issue addressed - please forgive if I have missed it in my searches.

I used a trip credit to pay for a trip for 4 in my husband's account. The balance after ticketing was over $1700. The AA system gave the balance to the LAST passenger listed on the itinerary which happened to be our son's girlfriend. She is a great girl but we had zero intention of giving away the balance of the trip credit. I spoke to the EXP desk and thankfully got help from someone who had seen this before. She created a request to reverse the stupidity and give my husband back his credit. In the meantime we can use the credit solely because I didn't add her advantage number and therefore the notice with the new trip credit number was emailed by default to my husband (and the rightful owner of the leftover credit.) But it is in her name and if we had included her aa number, it would be in her account - still repairable but confusing and wrong on all accounts.

AA must fix this glitch. The trip we were ticketing was booked as two one-ways because we have the kids with us only on the return. When I originally ticketed the first leg last night all looked well and there was even a balance of $3.4k shown. Oddly it didn't go through but if it had there was NO mention that the credit was going to me (the second (and last) person listed on the itinerary.) I got agent help to do the ticketing because when I went in to ticket the second one-way leg I couldn't find the remaining trip credit. The lady helping was just so-so last night. She ticketed the first leg and then couldn't find the trip credit for a minute (now I know that was because it had been issued to ME even though it was my husbands.) When she "found" it she never mentioned that it was in my account. She used the newly issued credit to ticket the second leg of our trip for 4 people and also never mentioned that the credit would go to someone else. I don't think many agents are yet aware of this terribly flawed programming. Todays help was excellent but I don't want others to go through this stupidity.
Happy and Segments like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
I read the AA policy on the Trip Credit and Flight Credit - it seems the Trip Credit is Book before the date of expiration, but can travel in the future (for as much as the system allows to book, i.e. 10 months ahead?

Flight credit on the other hand must be travel before the date of expiration.

Is the above understanding correct?

I am trying to figure out if we make an unnecessary trip to use up the $697 Trip Credit shown in my husband's account that expires on January 9 2023, or wait till Dec to book something in Spring 2023. Can we still book a fully refundable then later cancel it when a real need for a trip happens?
Hey all. I have a bunch of AA trip credits and hoping for an expiration clarification. Must travel commence by the expiration date of the credit or must the credit just be applied to a future flight on or before the expiration date as stated above? Want to triple check that I have it right before ending up with a bunch of expires credits. Thanks all!
Old Dec 11, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
I read the AA policy on the Trip Credit and Flight Credit - it seems the Trip Credit is Book before the date of expiration, but can travel in the future (for as much as the system allows to book, i.e. 10 months ahead?

Flight credit on the other hand must be travel before the date of expiration.

Is the above understanding correct?

I am trying to figure out if we make an unnecessary trip to use up the $697 Trip Credit shown in my husband's account that expires on January 9 2023, or wait till Dec to book something in Spring 2023. Can we still book a fully refundable then later cancel it when a real need for a trip happens?

I'm still working my way through this thread so maybe this has been covered already. If so, I apologize. But I thought the trip credit policy was as you stated here, and I did book a flight with a trip credit that expired Feb 2023. Now they are telling me that I cannot make any changes because the original form of payment has expired. This is contrary to what the agent who applied the trip credits has said. It is also nowhere in the terms of AA trip credits online.

Do I have any recourse at all since AA is so vague with their terms about trip credits? Did the agent who booked the flight make a mistake or is AA being deceitful? I'm really angry because this is over $1000 that should be able to be changed until February 24. I will keep reading in case there's more info ahead. But any input from you all would be appreciated.
bryanb likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dcislander chicaloca453

At close to expiration date I ended up booking a fully refundable as close as possible to end of schedule that was $9.xx less than the original value. System generated a trip credit for the balance though I forgot what date was the issued date as I did not plan to use it. Hind sight - should try to find a fare slightly above the trip credit value and paid the extra with a CC - in the subsequent posts of this thread, rebooking with an additional CC payment works a lot better at cancellation.

In June we rebooked the ticket for a Main one way ticket at only $131.xx. The agent at the AA ticketing office changed my husband's original booking to the new trip, apparently generated a new Trip Credit with residual value which she immediately used it to book my own ticket on the same trip. So we wound up having 2 PNRs and a Trip Credit now In My Name of the residual value because I was the last passenger used the Trip Credit.

At the end we decided to fly DL awards because they were direct flights with relatively reasonable miles. I cancelled both tickets online. My husband's refund resulted to a Flight Credit with the issue date as the original ticketing date in June 2023. My refund resulted to a Trip Credit with the issue date as the cancellation date which is Aug 2023.
Reading this thread I thought AA had migrated to move away from Flight Credit, unfortunately it apparently is not so, and the outcome of refund status is very random, does not seem to have discernible patterns.

So now we have a $131.xx Flight Credit that only my husband can use, and 2 Trip Credits in my name that anyone can use. The Flight Credit and the larger amount Trip Credit will expire in June 2024, the small Trip Credit will expire in August 2024. I will figure out what to do with them next year. At one point I was going to let these $ forfeited but then I thought I should not let AA benefiting from it by purposely making these credits difficult to use so people at the end losing their credits. A sleazy practice if you will.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Dcislander chicaloca453

At close to expiration date I ended up booking a fully refundable as close as possible to end of schedule that was $9.xx less than the original value. System generated a trip credit for the balance though I forgot what date was the issued date as I did not plan to use it. Hind sight - should try to find a fare slightly above the trip credit value and paid the extra with a CC - in the subsequent posts of this thread, rebooking with an additional CC payment works a lot better at cancellation.

In June we rebooked the ticket for a Main one way ticket at only $131.xx. The agent at the AA ticketing office changed my husband's original booking to the new trip, apparently generated a new Trip Credit with residual value which she immediately used it to book my own ticket on the same trip. So we wound up having 2 PNRs and a Trip Credit now In My Name of the residual value because I was the last passenger used the Trip Credit.

At the end we decided to fly DL awards because they were direct flights with relatively reasonable miles. I cancelled both tickets online. My husband's refund resulted to a Flight Credit with the issue date as the original ticketing date in June 2023. My refund resulted to a Trip Credit with the issue date as the cancellation date which is Aug 2023.
Reading this thread I thought AA had migrated to move away from Flight Credit, unfortunately it apparently is not so, and the outcome of refund status is very random, does not seem to have discernible patterns.

So now we have a $131.xx Flight Credit that only my husband can use, and 2 Trip Credits in my name that anyone can use. The Flight Credit and the larger amount Trip Credit will expire in June 2024, the small Trip Credit will expire in August 2024. I will figure out what to do with them next year. At one point I was going to let these $ forfeited but then I thought I should not let AA benefiting from it by purposely making these credits difficult to use so people at the end losing their credits. A sleazy practice if you will.

But this is what I'm talking about. You were able to change your tickets purchased with Trip credits without issue. They are telling me that my ticket expired because the trip credit I used to pay for it is expired. I did have to pay a little out-of-pocket, and the ticket is less than 9 months old. The way I understand the terms I should have another almost 3 months to use the value of the ticket. American Airlines says that I don't. They said the ticket expired on February 23rd which is also the day of or the day after it was booked. I did not use any travel credits only trip credits. I actually use three trip credits for it in three different people's names.

So maybe now you understand why I'm upset and confused. It seems like they're trying to apply the travel credit rules to my ticket which was purchased with trip credits. I've gone to Twitter. I've gone to customer service. Nothing is doing any good. They claim the ticket has no value. I think they're screwing me over and I'm about ready to go to the DOT about it.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:10 am

Is booking an outbound from a foreign country still an issue in terms of restrictive flight credits?
Looking to book a one way Mexico to US flight, but hesitant that the Flight Credit will be restricted to Mexico origin flights if I decide to cancel.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
But this is what I'm talking about. You were able to change your tickets purchased with Trip credits without issue. They are telling me that my ticket expired because the trip credit I used to pay for it is expired. I did have to pay a little out-of-pocket, and the ticket is less than 9 months old. The way I understand the terms I should have another almost 3 months to use the value of the ticket. American Airlines says that I don't. They said the ticket expired on February 23rd which is also the day of or the day after it was booked. I did not use any travel credits only trip credits. I actually use three trip credits for it in three different people's names.

So maybe now you understand why I'm upset and confused. It seems like they're trying to apply the travel credit rules to my ticket which was purchased with trip credits. I've gone to Twitter. I've gone to customer service. Nothing is doing any good. They claim the ticket has no value. I think they're screwing me over and I'm about ready to go to the DOT about it.
I agree you should take it to the DOT. You should get back a Trip Credit with the original issuance date that should give you the remaining 3 months before expiration to use it.

The ONLY difference in our scenario was that the original ticket was a fully refundable fare. Though that does not explain my new Trip Credit from the ticket bought with the first Trip Credit got a new issuance date of August, at the cancellation time, versus June, the initial ticketing time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.