Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:34 pm

Programs: A few
So not sure if / how well this was covered before, but I also found that I was not able to apply Flight Credits to any flights departing after the TICKETING date of the original flight, not even the travel date. The FC in question was from a flight ticketed May 16th 2023 for travel June 5th 2023. It could only be used online for departures up to May 15th 2024.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:48 pm

My dad booked on aa.com -- WAW-ORD-WAW.

He cancelled the flight and received $650 credit for him and his wife.

He wants to use this credit now but American said it's only good for international fares. He's 82 and doesn't think that's going to happen.

What's a good solution here?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PPro
Originally Posted by AB Dada
My dad booked on aa.com -- WAW-ORD-WAW.

He cancelled the flight and received $650 credit for him and his wife.

He wants to use this credit now but American said it's only good for international fares. He's 82 and doesn't think that's going to happen.

What's a good solution here?
Do what I did three posts up; book a cheap one way international ticket and get the rest as a trip credit that he can use freely. It’s the only way I found to get any value out of my cancelled ticket.
Though if your dad hasn’t taken the first leg of the flight I think that agent was wrong about it having to be international. Once he finds a flight he should call and try to redeem it. If you look it up on aa.com does it show a value or not?

Last edited by skviolet98; Mar 5, 2024 at 9:14 pm
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Hope this is the right place. Just made an international booking and then realised I goofed on the date of the last flight - Manage My Booking cancel option is suggesting it'll go to a trip credit rather than a refund to the payment card - is that correct or is it just standard language that isn't taking the 24 hour rule into account...? Alternatively if I need to call, will the agent be able to change the date of the final leg rather than going through a refund/rebook?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by npretnar
Yes.

If you book a new trip with a Trip Credit (NOT A FLIGHT CREDIT) and it covers the entire value of the Trip Credit, book it for several months out. Wait until after the original trip credit would have expired to cancel (i.e., if the original trip credit expires 3/1, book a trip for 4/1 and cancel anytime after 3/1. Then your new credit should be valid for 12 months from the date you booked the 4/1 flight.

does it matter if you cancel on line vs calling in?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by etiene
Hope this is the right place. Just made an international booking and then realised I goofed on the date of the last flight - Manage My Booking cancel option is suggesting it'll go to a trip credit rather than a refund to the payment card - is that correct or is it just standard language that isn't taking the 24 hour rule into account...?
I would call AA just to be sure that it would refund to the card just to be safe, but others may have had success with just cancelling online and getting the refund.

Originally Posted by etiene
Alternatively if I need to call, will the agent be able to change the date of the final leg rather than going through a refund/rebook?
The agent should be able to just change the date of the last flight. Just make sure you calculate the fare difference should be yourself before calling because they've tried to overcharge me before when making flight changes over the phone.
etiene likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:20 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
question about getting a flight credit for a flight i cancel..i understand this works for us domestic flights and international flights departing usa,but will this work for flights leaving japan and flying to us and back return?
if i cancel after booking will i also get a flight credit?
thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Hi All,

I rarely book rountrips so this threw me a little. Booked a roundtrip BOS-ORD-BOS. Flew the outbound. Day of the return there was weather and was offered to change flights to next day. Ended up changing to ORD-PHL-BOS. Then decided later to cancel the return for flight credit. The credit shows in my account but no value is attached. I called to find out the value of the unused segment but the agent said the rate dept would only calculate it if I tried to book another ticket which seems very odd. I understand for international roundtrips have different fare calculations vs one-way but for domestic it's just been the sum of the two one-way trips so I'm a little baffled why they cant just give me an amount. Has anyone else heard of this?

Last edited by kq747; Mar 12, 2024 at 11:36 am
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:08 pm

I apologize if this has been previously covered, I tried searching but it is admittedly a bit challenging to find clear data points given how much these policies seem to have changed.

I had a paid first class flight booked, I canceled and received a trip credit immediately.

I canceled that trip within 24 hours, and now have a pending flight credit that says "refund requested" and that I will receive a response within 7 business days.

Should I expect this to take a full 7 days? Is this normal, or is something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I apologize if this has been previously covered, I tried searching but it is admittedly a bit challenging to find clear data points given how much these policies seem to have changed.

I had a paid first class flight booked, I canceled and received a trip credit immediately.

I canceled that trip within 24 hours, and now have a pending flight credit that says "refund requested" and that I will receive a response within 7 business days.

Should I expect this to take a full 7 days? Is this normal, or is something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Normal.

I’m always told 7-10 days but frequently it processes back to my cc sooner. Goes through flight credit as an interim state.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Segments
Normal.

I’m always told 7-10 days but frequently it processes back to my cc sooner. Goes through flight credit as an interim state.

Thanks.

I realize I was not very clear.

I canceled twice, first canceling the cash booking which resulted in trip credit, and then canceling the flight that was booked with the first booking’s trip credit. The first cancellation (canceling the cash booking) was immediately issued as trip credit. The second cancellation (canceling the trip credit booking) is on request but showing as flight credit, with a note I will get a a response within 7 days.

Still seem normal? I don’t really care that it’s flight credit or trip credit necessarily, just confused by the different process, especially since the second cancellation was within 24 hrs.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, VS Gold
Expiring flight credit / no extension

As others have suggested, I made a new reservation utilizing a soon-to-expire flight credit with a small amount of additional cash. I then cancelled that booking and tried to use the subsequent credit for a new booking for travel beginning after the expiration date of the original flight credit (April 2024). That did not work either online or when calling the EP desk. Oh well ...
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by dhring
As others have suggested, I made a new reservation utilizing a soon-to-expire flight credit with a small amount of additional cash. I then cancelled that booking and tried to use the subsequent credit for a new booking for travel beginning after the expiration date of the original flight credit (April 2024). That did not work either online or when calling the EP desk. Oh well ...
I had the same problem - flight credit expiring in mid Apr 2024 but my travel is in Jun 2024.

First agent said there's nothing they can do. I was contemplating booking a random cheap flight and then getting the remaining value in the form of travel credit so that I can use the travel credit to book my actual flight in June.

Second agent I called however was able to let me use the flight credit expiring in April to book the June flight. Note that I was booking for a large group with some members needing to use their own valid flight credits, so maybe the agent was able to allow my flight credit to be used. (The only thing is that the flight credit can only be used for main cabin as my original flight was in main cabin and that fare difference with BE was $100. Maybe I could have found a cheap flight <$100 in main cabin but at this point I didn't want to go through the hassle.) Note I don't have any status with AA.

Last edited by dchobo; Apr 1, 2024 at 4:27 pm
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:22 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I am unable to change a domestic one-way flight to a one-way originating outside the US, I get an error msg that the fare cannot be applied to a new trip starting outside the US. Can I overcome this limitation by cancelling for a trip credit? How about cancelling and applying the trip credit to an international roundtrip (starting in the US)?
Old Apr 11, 2024, 1:27 pm

Amount of credit just shows up as dashes “—“

Does this just take time to populate? I canceled a flight and it clearly said I would get a flight credit, and a flight credit immediately populated in my account. However, the amount just shows as —

The credit was issued about an hour ago. Should I just wait? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.