Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
xld a ticket and got a ffc with an expiration date.

on AA is that date "book by" or "fly by" ?
Flight Credit is 'Fly By'.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by econ
Not sure if mentioned before, but just noticed that I could complete the purchase of a reservation On Hold with a Flight Credit online without having to call in. New IT fix?
I couldn't get it to work this week. Tried at least six times, different trip parameters, before giving up and calling in. AA agent seemed skeptical at first, was reluctant to help, kept directing me to website. So they must have gotten knew guidance. Once she decided to help me, she provided excellent support. (To my surprise, the way it started.)
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Flight Credit is 'Fly By'.
i called AA and was told book by.

i find this all very confusing but i just wanted to clarify my situation...

i thought i had a flight credit but instead it was actually a trip credit. not sure why because it was a simple cancelled ticket, i'm just glad i'm getting rid of it.

so i guess i would have fallen under the book by rule had i not decided to use it now?

Last edited by Eujeanie; Jan 12, 2024 at 8:55 pm
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by js1993
Because the whole amount gets extended. Plus, good luck finding a BE ticket for under $80. You'd be wasting all this effort for maybe $20.
theres actually $42tickets in BE. But since I was in main cabin no can do.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:11 pm

Programs: free agent
Strange one: I cancelled an award ticket this morning and ended up with a flight credit in my account for it, rather than the mileage redeposit.
When I check the flight credit, there's nothing in the "details" except the ticket number, record locator and "flight cancelled". Two-segment flight on AA metal, domestic.
Any ideas?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Strange one: I cancelled an award ticket this morning and ended up with a flight credit in my account for it, rather than the mileage redeposit.
When I check the flight credit, there's nothing in the "details" except the ticket number, record locator and "flight cancelled". Two-segment flight on AA metal, domestic.
Any ideas?
That happens, its weird. Its just a receipt for the cancellation I guess. I've seen that in my app/wallet a few times but there is no real flight credit and the miles will go back or have gone back (you may need to call in for that if its partner award Vs. AA metal flight). The fees/taxes will go back to the card in a few days.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: free agent
I'll give it a couple days and see if it resolves itself. It was just a plain old AA award on AA metal. Only difference between this and any other award I have cancelled is that I had already checked in for it. (No shenanigans - I tested +ve for covid this morning so decided to do the right thing and not fly)
Old Jan 13, 2024, 6:12 am

i called AA and was told book by.

i find this all very confusing but i just wanted to clarify my situation...

i thought i had a flight credit but instead it was actually a trip credit. not sure why because it was a simple cancelled ticket, i'm just glad i'm getting rid of it.

so i guess i would have fallen under the book by rule had i not decided to use it now?
No, if you actually had a Trip Credit, then it is indeed 'Book By'.

Flight Credits are different. On a Flight Credit, your first flight on the reservation must depart on or before the Flight Credit expiration date.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
No, if you actually had a Trip Credit, then it is indeed 'Book By'.

Flight Credits are different. On a Flight Credit, your first flight on the reservation must depart on or before the Flight Credit expiration date.
i know what i had was originally a flight credit.

i made a reservation last night (currently on hold). when i got to the payment page, i clicked add a flight credit, it was rejected with the notice
'you have a trip credit" that went through with the same numbers.

then i recalled the recent email about the new benefits, so reread that and i think we were some of the early aadvantage members that had their flight credits converted to trip credits.

i also did some more digging about this new conversion, and i could not find anything about a book by date. they do say that credits issued after march will have an extra six months to use them, but that does not apply to me.

to be on the safe side, i'm subbing in this trip for one i had booked on southwest, and redepositing the southwest credits, which now never expire.

even if i'm wrong and my aa expiration date is a book by date, i feel more secure just using them now.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:50 pm

Partially used credits

I am a bit confused on what happens when you partially use a credit. I was under the impression from reading here that if you have a trip credit for say $200 and you spend $50 on a ticket, you would get a new trip credit for $150 good for another year. Is that how it works? That's how paper vouchers worked.

Speaking of paper vouchers, I had an unexpected experience with one. I partially used a paper voucher, and now they don't want to send residual paper vouchers, so I got a trip credit. Since it's a brand new trip credit, I expected it to be good for a year from the issue date, but instead, they only gave me a year from the issue date of the paper voucher that I mailed in. Is that really right?
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Eujeanie,

Once you put a trip on hold you need to call in to use a credit. A wonderfull feature (bug?) in the AA IT world. I've had to call in a bunch of times and the AAgents I talk to are not pleased that the system can't handle credits for held reservations. Sent in feedback when I got an email survey and metioned it to the Twitter(X) team several times as well since they seem to have the same issues with credits for held reservations and so need to send people to the phone reps.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by ttuna3
Eujeanie,

Once you put a trip on hold you need to call in to use a credit. A wonderfull feature (bug?) in the AA IT world. I've had to call in a bunch of times and the AAgents I talk to are not pleased that the system can't handle credits for held reservations. Sent in feedback when I got an email survey and metioned it to the Twitter(X) team several times as well since they seem to have the same issues with credits for held reservations and so need to send people to the phone reps.
i did not have to call in, but i did have to reinput the voucher numbers, so maybe that's a recent improvement.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:24 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I was recently able to apply a Trip Credit from a U.S. domestic flight for a Canada-U.S. one-way (AA.com would not let me do this, but calling in got it processed without issue) so it does look like Trip Credits can be used this way.

Originally Posted by econ
Similar question: Can a Flight Credit from a cancelled Canada-US trip (one-way or RT, purchased on the US AA website) be used towards a domestic US trip?
GVDM likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by progapanda
I was recently able to apply a Trip Credit from a U.S. domestic flight for a Canada-U.S. one-way (AA.com would not let me do this, but calling in got it processed without issue) so it does look like Trip Credits can be used this way.
There's an unpublished list of non-USA origins a trip credit will work for. If you search upstream, I posted the ones an agent gave me a year or two ago. It was a fairly large list. The agents I've spoken with said the list is constantly evolving, countries being added or occasionally falling off, so it's better to call to confirm.
progapanda likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
i did not have to call in, but i did have to reinput the voucher numbers, so maybe that's a recent improvement.
I noticed this last week or week before and mentioned a few posts upthread. I've been able to book "On hold" trips with credits online a few times now. Definitely an improvement over calling.
GVDM likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.