Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
MIA-JFK
777 with Concept D seats 👎

Friendly crew but you had to stay on them about refills....IME the FAs on the narrowbodies are much more attentive in FC
That just really depends on the crew and not the aircraft type. On my last MIA LAX flight, I was in J and the F FAs were helping the J crew proactively offering refills throughout the flight. Meanwhile, I have had very lazy FAs on 738s/321s who seem annoyed if you ask for a second drink in F.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
1/30 AA 683 RDU-CLT A-321: No service either cabin
1/30 AA 6295 CLT-LEX ERJ-145: FA came to me on the ground and thanked me for being EXP and asked if I needed anything. I asked if she was catered and she said yes so I asked for a Diet Coke once we were in the air. I got it, sans ice, and was the only passenger served
thunderdeacon and Spanish like this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, UA 1mm,HHonors Diamond
Exp in main cabin

Do they still offer snack and one alcohol beverage in main cabin for EXPs? Booked CLT-DFW-EGE this Thursday and F wasnt available into EGE.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by bmrsjohn
Do they still offer snack and one alcohol beverage in main cabin for EXPs? Booked CLT-DFW-EGE this Thursday and F wasnt available into EGE.
Unfortunately no, you wouldn't be served a free snack or an alcoholic beverage when traveling in Y. This perk was removed since late-March 2020 due to COVID-19.

On your CLT-DFW flight, you would receive a snack bag with bottled water, one of biscoffs/pretzels, and a hand sanitizing wipe; on your DFW-EGE flight, AA would serve you nothing. On both flights, if you would like a soft ( non-alcoholic drink ), you would need to hit the call button or visit the rear galley.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately no, you wouldn't be served a free snack or an alcoholic beverage when traveling in Y. This perk was removed since late-March 2020 due to COVID-19.
Well to be fair, it's not really that the perk was removed but rather, not available since AA isn't selling fresh food or alcoholic beverages in Y these days.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Currently on MIA-ORF, and as expected, the Republic crew makes zero interaction with any pax on boarding and once we takeoff, slam the curtain shot and sit in their galleys reading the entire time from takeoff to landing. Honestly, in an emergency, passengers won't know who to listen to because they never see the crew ever. Even in the safety briefing they are so passive. It's time that these FAs get penalized for ignoring the rules. In F, they are supposed to make an appearance to be available for drinks. I am trying to understand how AA can still operate an upgrade system that requires certificates and 500-mile segment upgrades on flights that have zero service (which is half the point of F anyway). That's not to mention I can see the FA pouring drinks into her cup, smashing the ice, and filling a takeaway bag with extra liquor presumably for her hotel.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Currently on MIA-ORF, and as expected, the Republic crew makes zero interaction with any pax on boarding and once we takeoff, slam the curtain shot and sit in their galleys reading the entire time from takeoff to landing. Honestly, in an emergency, passengers won't know who to listen to because they never see the crew ever. Even in the safety briefing they are so passive. It's time that these FAs get penalized for ignoring the rules. In F, they are supposed to make an appearance to be available for drinks. I am trying to understand how AA can still operate an upgrade system that requires certificates and 500-mile segment upgrades on flights that have zero service (which is half the point of F anyway). That's not to mention I can see the FA pouring drinks into her cup, smashing the ice, and filling a takeaway bag with extra liquor presumably for her hotel.
Report, report, report. This is also an AA issue as Republic dba United Express flights the FA's are proactive in both cabins in serving drinks.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Please press the call button and request a drink and report us back.
AAway, jcatman and cmd320 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 11:11 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
That just really depends on the crew and not the aircraft type. On my last MIA LAX flight, I was in J and the F FAs were helping the J crew proactively offering refills throughout the flight. Meanwhile, I have had very lazy FAs on 738s/321s who seem annoyed if you ask for a second drink in F.
That's the perfect situation for requesting a third drink, even if it's sparkling water and lemon.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
That's a little harsh... it's a nationwide tragedy that yellow and white cubes pass as "cheese" in America but I find it hard to fault AA for going along with that. Last time I had the cheese tray, it had what I would have described as white cheddar, yellow cheddar, and smoked Gouda.
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I'm almost positive the three cheeses are cheddar, monterey jack, and gouda.

-FlyerBeek

I haven't tried Americans fruit and cheese offering yet, but as a point of comparison, I flew Alaska over the weekend and their "signature fruit and cheese platter" is divine. The platter contains three cheese options Seattle's famous Beecher's flagship, yellow cheddar, and brie accompanied by olive oil and sea salt crackers, sliced apples, grapes and milk chocolate from Seattle Chocolates. Very fresh and satisfying.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Wow. That AS cheese actually looks real!
Old Feb 1, 2021, 2:36 pm

If you find yourself on an AS flight, I would definitely recommend trying it.

While this AS blog post is now dated, it is an interesting read nonetheless concerning their F&C:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...echers-cheese/
Old Feb 1, 2021, 2:51 pm

Beecher's is really, really good. They have a shop at SEA C Concourse where you can buy their many varieties of cheese and/or made-to-order grilled cheese sandwiches (what else!), mac-n-cheese, soups, etc.

Worth a stop-in regardless the terminal(s) you're transiting.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robert
I haven't tried Americans fruit and cheese offering yet, but as a point of comparison, I flew Alaska over the weekend and their "signature fruit and cheese platter" is divine. The platter contains three cheese options Seattle's famous Beecher's flagship, yellow cheddar, and brie accompanied by olive oil and sea salt crackers, sliced apples, grapes and milk chocolate from Seattle Chocolates. Very fresh and satisfying.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of AS' cheese plate, but their new turkey sandwich blows AA's out of the water both in terms of taste and presentation. And of course, AS still has amazing freshly baked cookies.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by fly747first
Well to be fair, it's not really that the perk was removed but rather, not available since AA isn't selling fresh food or alcoholic beverages in Y these days.
Has there been any further whispers on service returning to Y? I recall a rumor back in Oct/Nov that they were to phase it in.

Sipping on a G&T in MCE is one of the benefits I value as an elite!
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.