Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased on or before 7 Apr for travel through 7 Sep 2020 (Coronavirus)

American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers Traveling This Summer link

Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 7:00 PM

Download PDF (English)PDF Format (opens in new window)American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility for customers in light of concerns around the coronavirus (COVID-19).

For existing travel

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who have summer travel through Sept. 30, 2020. The offer is available for any of Americans fares, and customers will have until Dec. 31, 2021, for future travel. Fare rules may apply depending on the ticket.
  • Any ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • All AAdvantage award tickets are included in this offer.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this new offer.
  • Travel must be completed by Dec. 31, 2021.

For new travel purchases

American has also extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchase new travel through May 31, 2020. Customers will have even more flexibility since any ticket purchased by May 31, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. The offer is available for any of Americans published nonrefundable fares.
  • Any ticket purchased from March 1 at 4:30 p.m. CT through May 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CT will not incur change fees prior to travel.
  • This is available for any of Americans nonrefundable published fares.
Additional updates on existing travel alerts can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.

PREVIOUSLY

AA just posted this: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Extending-Change-Fee-Waivers-for-Customers-With-Travel-Plans-Through-May-OPS-DIS-03/ FORT WORTH, Texas American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility in light of concerns around coronavirus (COVID-19).

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 1 for travel through May 31. The offer is available for any of Americans fares and customers have until December 31 to rebook travel for future flights. Additional updates on existing travel alerts, including international travel waivers that are available for travel through May 31, can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
  • Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • This is available for any of Americans fares for travel through May 31.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
  • The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date whichever is sooner.

Print Wikipost

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020 | 1:34 pm
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Check
So...prior to the emergence of COVID-19 I was pondering a trip to France this summer, and I'm wondering how I can use this new policy to my benefit. Some of these might be dumb questions, but I would appreciate some help:
1) "Change" does not mean "cancel and refund," correct?
2) If I were to book the overseas trip, could I change to a domestic itinerary provided I met the "New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date" restriction?
3) If I did 2), where the domestic trip would presumably be cheaper, how would the fare difference be treated? Lost value, refund, or voucher?
4) If 3) results in a voucher, what would the expiration date on the voucher be?
I think you should be able to change in to almost anything else as long as the country of origin stays the same (ex. you couldn't change YUL -> HNL to JFK -> HNL), I don't believe you would get a voucher, you would cancel your reservation and your ticket would retain value. I know you can pay fare difference for a higher fare, not sure what happens with a lower fare).
Old Mar 4, 2020 | 6:23 pm
20 Years on Site

My reading of the policy only allows the free change if made prior to any travel. If I travel the outbound and then have to change the return date after that eg if a family member were to get ill and I wanted to return early, then no waiver of the change fee would apply. Is that the case?
Old Mar 4, 2020 | 9:53 pm
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
My reading of the policy only allows the free change if made prior to any travel. If I travel the outbound and then have to change the return date after that eg if a family member were to get ill and I wanted to return early, then no waiver of the change fee would apply. Is that the case?
Are you talking about a trip that's more than 15 days in duration? If so, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to change the return segment.
Old Mar 4, 2020 | 10:27 pm
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by donotblink
Are you talking about a trip that's more than 15 days in duration? If so, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to change the return segment.
Post #4 in this thread quotes an AA email with the following:

you may change your flight once without paying a change fee if the change is made at least 14 days in advance of your outbound travel date
Old Mar 5, 2020 | 12:41 am
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Post #4 in this thread quotes an AA email with the following:

you may change your flight once without paying a change fee if the change is made at least 14 days in advance of your outbound travel date
This is what is shown in Sabre on almost every fare basis, as a round trip would be a combination of two fares, wouldn't the rules apply to each fare, so you couldn't make changes on a layover, but you could on a round trip? Maybe I'm not interpreting correctly, as it does say: III. PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY- CHANGES
TO THE CONTINUING/RETURN FLIGHTS ARE NOT
ALLOWED....AFTER DEPARTURE CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.

FOR TICKETING ON/BEFORE 16MAR20
CHANGES

BEFORE DEPARTURE
CHANGES PERMITTED.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
-NO CHANGE CHARGE ONLY APPLIES FOR TICKETS ISSUED
BETWEEN 01MAR20 AND 16MAR20
-AA-04MAR20-241
-TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED FOR ALL VOLUNTARY
CHANGES.
-CHANGES RESULTING IN A HIGHER FARE MUST BE
ADD COLLECTED.
-IF THE CHANGE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE THE
DIFFERENCE MAY BE REFUNDED TO A VOUCHER FOR
TRAVEL ON AA ONLY.
-CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE
OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF AA INTERNATIONAL FARES.
-TKT IS NONREFUNDABLE---
I. PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY - CHANGES
TO THE ORIGINATING FLIGHT ON THE TICKET -
CANCEL AND START OVER.
1.THE ENTIRE TICKET MUST BE REPRICED WITH FARES
IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET ISSUANCE.
2.USE ANY EOU/ERU FARE TYPE
3.ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE I.E. ADV RSVN/
MIN/MAX STAY/INVENTORY ETC MUST BE MET.
4.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE
MEASURED FROM THE REISSUE DATE TO THE
DEPARTURE OF THE PRICING UNIT.
5.ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES MUST BE COLLECTED.
IF THE REPRICE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE/THE
DIFFERENCE IN FARES WILL BE RETURNED IN THE
FORM OF A VOUCHER FOR TRAVEL ON AA ONLY.
---
II. PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY - CHANGES
TO CONTINUING/RETURN FLIGHTS WHEN THERE IS
NO CHANGE TO ORIGIN/DESTINATION OR STOPOVERS.
THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE AND THE
LOWEST SOLUTION WILL APPLY.
---
A. ATTEMPT TO KEEP THE SAME FARES AS TICKETED.
REPRICE THE ITINERARY USING THE SAME FARE
BASIS CODE/SAME FARE LEVEL/ SAME RULES AS
TICKETED/ THAT IS/ THOSE IN EFFECT AT THE
TIME THE ORIGINAL TICKET WAS SOLD.
1.NO CHANGE IS PERMITTED TO STOPOVER/ THE FIRST
FARE COMPONENT OR FARE BREAKS.
2.THE TICKETED FARE BASIS CODE/ SAME RULE MUST
BE USED AS THE REPLACEMENT FARE FOR THE
REVISED FARE COMPONENT ON THE NEW TICKET.
3.NEW FARE MUST BE EQUAL TO THE PREVIOUS
FARE. COMPARE BASE FARE VALUES FOR
THE REVISED FARE COMPONENT TO THAT OF THE
TICKETED FARE COMPONENT.
4.ALL RULE/BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS MUST BE MET.
5.FLIGHT SPECIFIC FARES MUST REMAIN WITHIN THE
TIMES SPECIFIED FOR THAT FARE.
6.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE
MEASURED FROM THE REISSUE DATE TO
DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT.
---
B. CANCEL AND START OVER.
REPRICE THE ENTIRE ITINERARY USING FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET ISSUANCE.
1.USE ANY FARE TYPE EOU/ERU.
2.ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MEASURED
FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF THE PRICING
UNIT.
3.ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES MUST BE COLLECTED. IF
THE REPRICE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE/ THE
DIFFERENCE IN FARES WILL BE RETURNED IN THE
FORM OF A VOUCHER FOR TRAVEL ON AA ONLY.
---
C. REPRICE THE ITINERARY USING THE SAME FARE
BASIS CODES AND RULES AS THOSE IN EFFECT
ON THE DATE OF ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE FOR
UNCHANGED FARE COMPONENTS AND USING FARES
IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET
ISSUANCE FOR ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS.
1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FARE COMPONENT/FARE BREAKS
UP TO THE FIRST CHANGED FARE COMPONENT.
2. THE TICKETED SAME FARE MUST BE USED ON THE
FIRST FARE COMPONENT.
3. USE ANY FARE TYPE EUO/ERU.
4. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS MUST
BE MET.
5. ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE
MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO
DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT.
6. ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES MUST BE COLLECTED.
IF THE REPRICE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE/THE
DIFFERENCE IN FARES WILL BE RETURNED IN
THE FORM OF A VOUCHER FOR TRAVEL ON AA
ONLY.
---
III. PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY- CHANGES
TO THE CONTINUING/RETURN FLIGHTS ARE NOT
ALLOWED
---
A. CANCEL AND START OVER.
REPRICE THE ENTIRE ITINERARY USING FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE OF NEW TICKET ISSUANCE.
1. USE ANY FARE ALLOWED BY COMBINATION MUST
BE FARE TYPE EOU/ERU.
2. ADVANCE RESERVATION REQUIREMENTS ARE
MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE
OF THE PRICING UNIT.
3. ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARES MUST BE COLLECTED.
IF THE REPRICE RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE/
THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES WILL BE RETURNED
IN THE FORM OF A VOUCHER FOR TRAVEL ON
AA ONLY.
---
IV. AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY - NO CHANGES
ARE PERMITTED.

AFTER DEPARTURE
CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
CANCELLATIONS

TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
TICKET MAY NOT BE APPLIED TOWARDS PURCHASE OF ANY
OTHER TICKET. UNUSED COUPONS HAVE NO RESIDUAL
VALUE.

CHANGES

CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
Old Mar 5, 2020 | 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
I see two treads going on this topic, so copying my question here too:

I had an EXP agent tell me that AA "just changed" the policy so that it: i) eliminates the requirement to make a change 14 days before departure, and ii) it is now extended to trips booked through March 31. I can't find this online anywhere. Has anyone else heard this or seen it in writing?
Old Mar 5, 2020 | 8:04 am
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by tacostuff

I had an EXP agent tell me that AA "just changed" the policy so that it: i) eliminates the requirement to make a change 14 days before departure, and ii) it is now extended to trips booked through March 31. I can't find this online anywhere. Has anyone else heard this or seen it in writing?
I'm not seeing that reflected in the text located in the detailed fare information, or at least not yet.
Old Mar 5, 2020 | 11:57 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by tacostuff

AA has updated their travel alerts online as such. The period of time to purchase tickets has been extended to 31-March. Flight now just need to be changed prior to departure, rather than 14 days in advanced.

Terms and conditions

If you purchased a ticket on American Airlines between March 5, 2020 at 9 a.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee*. Tickets must be purchased for travel between March 5, 2020 and January 30, 2021.

Exception policy

• We will waive the change fee only on published Non-Refundable Fare tickets.
  • Tickets must be purchased between March 5, 2020 at 9 a.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with original travel between March 5, 2020 and January 30, 2021.
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight*.
  • New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date.
  • Any difference in fare will apply.
  • Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
Old Mar 5, 2020 | 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is still less generous than DL, which just made their waiver retroactive to March 1.

This directly impacts me, as I purchased a ticket yesterday. Still within 24 hours, so could theoretically cancel and rebook.
Old Mar 5, 2020 | 5:08 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Would waiver also apply if I booked flights using Citi thank you points instead of via AA dot com?
Old Mar 5, 2020 | 5:22 pm
5 Years on Site

If I purchase a one way ticket today (e.g. PHX-IND), for April, and decide not to travel, I can change the ticket to any city (e.g. PHX-DFW) without a change fee, and just be subject to a fare difference? Is that a correct interpretation?
Old Mar 5, 2020 | 9:20 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by eltoddo22
Would waiver also apply if I booked flights using Citi thank you points instead of via AA dot com?
Probably. It sounds like they're incorporating this into the fare rules, so it should apply regardless of what channel you purchase it through. It would be good to look at the detailed fare rules before you book to confirm this, though.
Old Mar 5, 2020 | 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Alas for those of us whose Trade Show, scheduled to start Monday, was just cancelled today and who purchased their ticket a few weeks ago, AA is doing nothing. Spirit is offering vouchers equal to fare price and no change fees. Gold desk agent said she could do nothing but had heard from many that UA and several others were offering vouchers as well. Very frustrating as this comes out of my pocket, not a deep pocketed company with an expense account. Can anyone verify what other airlines are doing for flight booked further out for travel in the immediate future?
jpsj likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020 | 1:55 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA Exec
I find a bit unfair the new, more "relaxed" policy applies only to tickets from 5th March, while the ones between 01st and 04th retain the previous 14 days limitation.

*For tickets purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 4, 2020, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee if the change is made at least 14 days in before your original travel date. Any difference in fare will apply.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020 | 8:12 am
Original Member
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Originally Posted by PamT
Alas for those of us whose Trade Show, scheduled to start Monday, was just cancelled today and who purchased their ticket a few weeks ago, AA is doing nothing. Spirit is offering vouchers equal to fare price and no change fees. Gold desk agent said she could do nothing but had heard from many that UA and several others were offering vouchers as well. Very frustrating as this comes out of my pocket, not a deep pocketed company with an expense account. Can anyone verify what other airlines are doing for flight booked further out for travel in the immediate future?
I had great fortune at a AA club.........allowed me to alter my travel plans made before March 1st. They simply asked me what I wanted to do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.