Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Alaska Airlines is expected join the oneworld Alliance as a full member summer 2021 end of 2020, pending regulatory approval*.
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 25 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
*The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.

link to earning EQM, EQD, EQS and Award Miles flying Alaska Airlines as AS marketed flights. (If flying as AA marketed flight (codeshare), earnings are as if flying AA.) As of April 1, 2020.

Seattle’s first-ever direct flight to BLR will be available for purchase later this month, with daily flights beginning October 2020. Daily service between SEA and LHR will be available for purchase in May 2020 for flights starting March 2021.

link to full release, 13 Feb 2020

Alaska Airlines route map (including Virgin America)

Print Wikipost

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:00 am

My colleagues fly BLR-SEA several times a year in biz. Since last year it has been nearly impossible to find tickets for convenient dates in biz, paying around $5000 and above on EK. Even economy fares are above $2000. This sector has seen enormous growth, ditto with BLR-SFO. I have little doubt that the demand is there - however there are 2 unknowns here (i) the ability of SEA airport immigration to handle yet another widebody, especially one which will have a lot of non-citizens on board and (ii) the soft product & service offered on AA.

Since the route will heavily depend on connections at the SEA end, the passengers will need to clear immigration in a timely manner so as to make it to their connecting flights. Any hitch and this goes for a toss. If there is a pattern of delays and missed flights, word will get around and folks will start avoiding this routing, at which point this route will become a loser.

AA's service has been criticized quite a bit. While it is clear that the US3 will not match up to the service standards of ME3 or SQ, the service can be professional and adequate, even friendly in an American way as I have seen on DL/UA flights to Asia across all classes of travel. UA/DL have stuck it out in India and across Asia despite better soft product from competitors. However lethargy or rudeness especially with elders will not be taken lightly by social media - AA better sensitize its crew to its customers. BA, LH, DL, UA, AF, KL etc aren't known for "over the top" service but have had a good and long run in the Indian market, AA should learn from them what works and what doesn't.

SEA-BLR a long flight. Connecting customers may have other choices (for instance someone flying SJC-SEA-BLR could drive up to SFO and take any of the numerous 1 stops), AA needs to convince them why flying through SEA is better than a break midway in Europe or Asia. Time savings is one aspect but if the journey is viewed as a painful exercise (such as inadequate food, or poor state of toilets, or less chance to stretch ones legs) then passengers especially in economy might prefer the conventional longer 1 stop routings which are plentiful today.
PlatAAagain likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by wco81
It would be ironic if premium cabin awards on AA metal becomes more available through AS redemptions than through AA redemptions.

Well finding J saver award availability on AA metal can't get any worse than it is now.
I think partner availability generally = saver availability, so no improvement there.

One place where I suspect this will help, though, is in ticketing OW TPAC J awards. Often the AA domestic connection to the OW gateway is the hardest piece to line up. Losing AS was going to be a big hit there, as their flights were often more available than AA's for positioning.

I would assume that after AS joins OW, an AS-CX/JL/QF award will now be a OW award, rather than "other partners" -- which would mean switching to a routing without AS will be easier.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by enviroian
How long down the road before AA just outright buys AS? Next year?
AA should learn from Air Reno, TWA, and the AS/VX deal - just because you acquire a company doesn't mean you acquire it's customers. Any change can cause customers to leave, putting those routes in a death spiral.

As for SEA-BLR, at 8100 mi it's too long a flight for AA's 777s. Has to be a 787, and likely a 787-9 for diversion requirements without load restrictions.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pbd456
How long will sea blr last?
Probably a lot longer than your think.

1. AA probably has revenue guarantees already in place or under negotiation with Amazon, which I'm guessing can fill 50 seats a day on this route by itself.
2. SEA-BLR has fairly high demand from other SEA area tech companies besides Amazon. Certainly most of it front cabin heavy business travels.
3. West coast-BLR is several hundred travelers a day, all currently going one-stop (or multiple stops). AA can easily fill a 789 with feeds from SAN, LAX, SJC, SFO.

AA specifically said that SEA was chosen because it can reach BLR without payload restriction with existing equipment. I'm sure they would rather fly SFO or LAX to BLR but that ain't happening with current 789 configuration. And the AS feed probably pushed the SEA-BLR business case from plausible to feasible.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:28 am

JL's SEA-NRT flight is already well-positioned to feed into its upcoming NRT-BLR flight (starting later this summer), so this will give OW pax a good option to connect stateside vs across the Pacific.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pbd456
How long will sea blr last?
Originally Posted by bzcat
Probably a lot longer than your think.

1. AA probably has revenue guarantees already in place or under negotiation with Amazon, which I'm guessing can fill 50 seats a day on this route by itself.
2. SEA-BLR has fairly high demand from other SEA area tech companies besides Amazon. Certainly most of it front cabin heavy business travels.
3. West coast-BLR is several hundred travelers a day, all currently going one-stop (or multiple stops). AA can easily fill a 789 with feeds from SAN, LAX, SJC, SFO.

AA specifically said that SEA was chosen because it can reach BLR without payload restriction with existing equipment. I'm sure they would rather fly SFO or LAX to BLR but that ain't happening with current 789 configuration. And the AS feed probably pushed the SEA-BLR business case from plausible to feasible.
I certainly think BLR will do better than DEL due to the fact that both SEA and BLR are tech hubs.

However, Amazon revenue guarantees would be pretty low since they don't allow any business class travel, even for their executives. But there are a lot of companies that do, and don't necessarily need to be originating from SEA. We'll just have to see how many folks would prefer to fly from places like AUS/DFW to BLR via SEA vs. LHR, for example.

Last edited by teemuflyer; Feb 14, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I certainly think BLR will do better the DEL due to the fact that both SEA and BLR are tech hubs.

However, Amazon revenue guarantees would be pretty low since they don't allow any business class travel, even for their executives. But there are a lot of companies that do, and don't necessarily need to be originating from SEA. We'll just have to see how many folks would prefer to fly from places like AUS/DFW to BLR via SEA vs. LHR, for example.
Texas Instruments and Dell are two companies from Texas that have been identified by an AA SVP (https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...on/4737070002/).
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by yensoy
My colleagues fly BLR-SEA several times a year in biz. Since last year it has been nearly impossible to find tickets for convenient dates in biz, paying around $5000 and above on EK. Even economy fares are above $2000. This sector has seen enormous growth, ditto with BLR-SFO. I have little doubt that the demand is there - however there are 2 unknowns here (i) the ability of SEA airport immigration to handle yet another widebody, especially one which will have a lot of non-citizens on board and (ii) the soft product & service offered on AA.

Since the route will heavily depend on connections at the SEA end, the passengers will need to clear immigration in a timely manner so as to make it to their connecting flights. Any hitch and this goes for a toss. If there is a pattern of delays and missed flights, word will get around and folks will start avoiding this routing, at which point this route will become a loser.

AA's service has been criticized quite a bit. While it is clear that the US3 will not match up to the service standards of ME3 or SQ, the service can be professional and adequate, even friendly in an American way as I have seen on DL/UA flights to Asia across all classes of travel. UA/DL have stuck it out in India and across Asia despite better soft product from competitors. However lethargy or rudeness especially with elders will not be taken lightly by social media - AA better sensitize its crew to its customers. BA, LH, DL, UA, AF, KL etc aren't known for "over the top" service but have had a good and long run in the Indian market, AA should learn from them what works and what doesn't.

SEA-BLR a long flight. Connecting customers may have other choices (for instance someone flying SJC-SEA-BLR could drive up to SFO and take any of the numerous 1 stops), AA needs to convince them why flying through SEA is better than a break midway in Europe or Asia. Time savings is one aspect but if the journey is viewed as a painful exercise (such as inadequate food, or poor state of toilets, or less chance to stretch ones legs) then passengers especially in economy might prefer the conventional longer 1 stop routings which are plentiful today.
Have you flown AA in international business? I find the product to be pretty good - hard product better than Delta and United in most cases as those have lagged in upgrading their business seating; good bedding; efficient service (I've actually had some great business crews to HKG and HND); and food is fine (in my experience pretty similar to UA or DL). While they're not as known for their service as some of the Asian carriers - I think their business class offering is as good as CX across the Pacific (food is actually better on AA, have air nozzles; offer pajamas/mattress pad in J; etc). YMMV, but one thing AA has done well is international business the last several years - and forced carriers like BA to up their game with better catering and seats.
JDiver and DMPHL like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond

You shouldn't forget the hard product. AA's 787-9 J and PE seats are quite nice (J in particular), and far better than EK. As for SEA as a connecting hub, I don't think there's much to be worried about. DL has been able to make it work for years, and SEA is already modernizing their international arrivals facility which should be ready in time for this flight. I do hope AA does something about its sometimes-grumpy flight attendants, but I also don't see it as any worse than UA and as you mentioned UA has been able to make it work, so I think people are willing to ignore that with a much better routing, and in this case with a far superior seat.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
the ability of SEA airport immigration to handle yet another widebody, especially one which will have a lot of non-citizens on board
SEA is getting their new immigration and gate facility in Fall 2020.

Also, I'd probably be doing SQ BLR-SIN-SEA for the moment if this was a regular route (just flew it myself last month); the connections are pretty reasonable in SIN, arrival time is early before the daytime rush of arrivals from Europe, SQ is a fantastic airline. You might find that advance fares ex-BLR are quite reasonable (not so much ex-SEA though).
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I'm wondering how this will affect the Alaska MVP program with the highest level of MVP75 Gold. Would that qualify as Emerald? or could you earn MVP75 Gold by traveling just on codeshare flights. That is a much shorter distance to elite than 100k/$15k spend.
With any codeshares and partner flights involved, the relevant threshold is 90k miles, not 75k miles. Also, earning 90k+ miles while flying 90k BIS miles with partners will require you to book your partner tickets in PE or above. If you're doing that, then you were probably going to make the $15k spend threshold anyway.

Originally Posted by cova
What is the status match?
EXP and PPro to MXP 75???
What about the huge difference in earning status AA $+mile based and AS mile based.only.
Because cheaper tickets only earn 25-30% miles on AS, in practice it makes little difference that AS has no spend requirement, unless you are planning to do almost all your flying on AS metal. In that case I assume you'd already have switched to AS by now.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
However, Amazon revenue guarantees would be pretty low since they don't allow any business class travel, even for their executives.
Wait, what? Are you saying that as Amazon sends employees and executives around the world, to Australia, Europe, the Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, etc...they are required to fly economy? AMAZON?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
Wait, what? Are you saying that as Amazon sends employees and executives around the world, to Australia, Europe, the Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, etc...they are required to fly economy? AMAZON?
Amazons culture and work environment sucks. I’m not surprised
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I echo this sentiment indeed!! Based in SFO, and having to "make it work" for west coast flights, like SFO-PHX-LAS, SFO-LAX-YVR, kinda get old but I endured it!! Now, I'm much more ready to stick with AA earning perks rather than go with UA or AS alone... Missing VX bigtime!!
I thought I was the only one doing SFO-LAX-YVR. I'm doing that next Tuesday
lds89 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by caimaster
I thought I was the only one doing SFO-LAX-YVR. I'm doing that next Tuesday
SJC/SFO -LAX/PHX-LAS is another needlessly circuitous routing that I take, albeit not as bad as YVR.

As someone part based in the bay area who hates UA with a passion, this is excellent
​​​​
Zacnlinc and lds89 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.