FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:00 pm
SEA737

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yensoy
My colleagues fly BLR-SEA several times a year in biz. Since last year it has been nearly impossible to find tickets for convenient dates in biz, paying around $5000 and above on EK. Even economy fares are above $2000. This sector has seen enormous growth, ditto with BLR-SFO. I have little doubt that the demand is there - however there are 2 unknowns here (i) the ability of SEA airport immigration to handle yet another widebody, especially one which will have a lot of non-citizens on board and (ii) the soft product & service offered on AA.

Since the route will heavily depend on connections at the SEA end, the passengers will need to clear immigration in a timely manner so as to make it to their connecting flights. Any hitch and this goes for a toss. If there is a pattern of delays and missed flights, word will get around and folks will start avoiding this routing, at which point this route will become a loser.

AA's service has been criticized quite a bit. While it is clear that the US3 will not match up to the service standards of ME3 or SQ, the service can be professional and adequate, even friendly in an American way as I have seen on DL/UA flights to Asia across all classes of travel. UA/DL have stuck it out in India and across Asia despite better soft product from competitors. However lethargy or rudeness especially with elders will not be taken lightly by social media - AA better sensitize its crew to its customers. BA, LH, DL, UA, AF, KL etc aren't known for "over the top" service but have had a good and long run in the Indian market, AA should learn from them what works and what doesn't.

SEA-BLR a long flight. Connecting customers may have other choices (for instance someone flying SJC-SEA-BLR could drive up to SFO and take any of the numerous 1 stops), AA needs to convince them why flying through SEA is better than a break midway in Europe or Asia. Time savings is one aspect but if the journey is viewed as a painful exercise (such as inadequate food, or poor state of toilets, or less chance to stretch ones legs) then passengers especially in economy might prefer the conventional longer 1 stop routings which are plentiful today.
You shouldn't forget the hard product. AA's 787-9 J and PE seats are quite nice (J in particular), and far better than EK. As for SEA as a connecting hub, I don't think there's much to be worried about. DL has been able to make it work for years, and SEA is already modernizing their international arrivals facility which should be ready in time for this flight. I do hope AA does something about its sometimes-grumpy flight attendants, but I also don't see it as any worse than UA and as you mentioned UA has been able to make it work, so I think people are willing to ignore that with a much better routing, and in this case with a far superior seat.