Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Alaska Airlines is expected join the oneworld Alliance as a full member summer 2021 end of 2020, pending regulatory approval*.
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 25 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
*The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.

link to earning EQM, EQD, EQS and Award Miles flying Alaska Airlines as AS marketed flights. (If flying as AA marketed flight (codeshare), earnings are as if flying AA.) As of April 1, 2020.

Seattle’s first-ever direct flight to BLR will be available for purchase later this month, with daily flights beginning October 2020. Daily service between SEA and LHR will be available for purchase in May 2020 for flights starting March 2021.

link to full release, 13 Feb 2020

Alaska Airlines route map (including Virgin America)

Print Wikipost

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
  • MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members can access 650 lounges within the oneworld® airline network.
I wonder if AS MVP members will be able to access Admirals Club on domestic itineraries? I think other OW elites can, but not sure if AS as a domestic partner would be different.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:40 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I wonder if AS MVP members will be able to access Admirals Club on domestic itineraries? I think other OW elites can, but not sure if AS as a domestic partner would be different.
It's almost certainly not going to happen. When CO/DL were in SkyTeam together and when CO/UA/US were all in Star, they excluded each other's elites on domestic itineraries.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
MVP members? Absolutely, positively not. MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K (almost certainly oneworld Sapphire and Emerald)? Possibly but I would say unlikely. Indeed, oneworld rules do allow non-AA oneworld elites into AA lounges on domestic and North American itineraries whereas AA members are not allowed. (SkyTeam and Star Alliance's equivalent rules also keep alliance partner elites on domestic itineraries out of DL and UA's lounges in slightly different ways, unlike oneworld.) I would assume that that exemption will be modified to include AS, but it's possible that AS will choose to pay for their members to have access. Seems unlikely, though; AS, like AA (and DL and UA) offers complimentary upgrades as the marquee benefit of elite status, whereas foreign airlines tend to offer lounge access as the marquee benefit while not having upgrades that more or less automatically fill all premium cabin seats. I think AS would follow the American, not overseas, model.

Originally Posted by VFR
It's almost certainly not going to happen. When CO/DL were in SkyTeam together and when CO/UA/US were all in Star, they excluded each other's elites on domestic itineraries.
Star and SkyTeam, unlike oneworld, do not allow status-based lounge access on domestic US itineraries for Star/SkyTeam partners. This is different than oneworld. But it's easy enough to add "and Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan" to the access exceptions where it currently says "American Airlines AAdvantage member".
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ashill
I would assume that that exemption will be modified to include AS, but it's possible that AS will choose to pay for their members to have access.
I and several other FTers on the oneworld forum that have talked to various people (lounge receptionist for me, senior manager of oneworld member for someone else) believe that, within oneworld, lounge access is paid by the operating airline of the flight you are departing on, even for élite members travelling in Y. This is also different from how *A and ST work, I believe.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 1:51 pm
VFR

Star and SkyTeam, unlike oneworld, do not allow status-based lounge access on domestic US itineraries for Star/SkyTeam partners. This is different than oneworld. But it's easy enough to add "and Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan" to the access exceptions where it currently says "American Airlines AAdvantage member".
Star is a bit strange; non-UA *G can access the United Club or any other *G lounge before a US domestic flight. UA *G can access any non-United Club *G lounge. It does show that sometimes airlines do have to honor the alliance lounge rules (with some weird carve-outs), but my bet is that AA/AS have thought about this when they figured out how AS will join oneworld.

SkyTeam does require an international flight for lounge access.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
MVP members? Absolutely, positively not. MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K (almost certainly oneworld Sapphire and Emerald)? Possibly but I would say unlikely. Indeed, oneworld rules do allow non-AA oneworld elites into AA lounges on domestic and North American itineraries whereas AA members are not allowed. (SkyTeam and Star Alliance's equivalent rules also keep alliance partner elites on domestic itineraries out of DL and UA's lounges in slightly different ways, unlike oneworld.) I would assume that that exemption will be modified to include AS, but it's possible that AS will choose to pay for their members to have access. Seems unlikely, though; AS, like AA (and DL and UA) offers complimentary upgrades as the marquee benefit of elite status, whereas foreign airlines tend to offer lounge access as the marquee benefit while not having upgrades that more or less automatically fill all premium cabin seats. I think AS would follow the American, not overseas, model.

They can easily add another exception for AS on N.A. itineraries. The wording for AA's exception can restrict pure North American itineraries for AS too, regardless of the operating airline.
American Airlines Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S, Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Carribean. For more information, visit,

Also, AS Club membership has already included AAdmiral's Club access (and the reverse) so it is even less likely that AA would grant AS elites lounge access (and similar with AA elites in AS lounges). But for those with non-AA/AS ow elites, the AS lounges can be great additions to the ow lounge network.
Star also has a status-based lounge access policy similar to OW and I guess this is why UA only blocks their own elites from United Clubs but not SA Gold:
As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling in any class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight, you have access to any member airline lounge at the airport where your flight departs, if the following conditions are met:
  • You present your boarding pass of a Star Alliance member airline operated flight which departs at the same day as your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning.
  • If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need to also show your valid Star Alliance Gold card.
  • The lounge displays the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
ST does state lounge access is only granted for int'l itineraries (somehow makes EP the least useful alliance status), but some airlines (not DL) do give partner elites lounge access on pure domestic itineraries.

Last edited by JALOO5-Flyer; Jul 20, 2020 at 3:02 pm
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:06 pm
VFR

Here's another question: AS currently gives its paid F passengers access to its lounges. Because that is offered, will it be required to pay for oneworld partner lounge access for those customers (either Admirals Clubs or BA clubs or such)?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by VFR
Here's another question: AS currently gives its paid F passengers access to its lounges. Because that is offered, will it be required to pay for oneworld partner lounge access for those customers (either Admirals Clubs or BA clubs or such)?
They don't currently allow it on AS F itineraries. Don't see why it would change going forward. Not to mention BA rarely let non-BA metal passengers in when the lounges get too crowded, highly doubt they want domestic AS F passengers.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by VFR
Definitely not.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
Oneworld has lounge access by status tier and class of travel, other than for AA frequent flyers on NA itineraries and some other exceptions. That will be extended to AS.
No need for AS to change its policies for its own frequent flyers(with elite status) or class of travel for access to its own AS lounges.
Too many people are over thinking the effects of AS joining OW

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
  • First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
  • Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
    • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
    • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
    • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 20, 2020 at 3:46 pm
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VFR
If they would get access, of course. AS would have fork over $$'s like any other OW partner for access to their lounges. This will definitely be the case for qualifying non-US itineraries.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I and several other FTers on the oneworld forum that have talked to various people (lounge receptionist for me, senior manager of oneworld member for someone else) believe that, within oneworld, lounge access is paid by the operating airline of the flight you are departing on, even for élite members travelling in Y. This is also different from how *A and ST work, I believe.
That's my impression too, though derived mostly from FlyerTalk and thus not an independent datum.

Originally Posted by VFR
Star is a bit strange; non-UA *G can access the United Club or any other *G lounge before a US domestic flight. UA *G can access any non-United Club *G lounge. It does show that sometimes airlines do have to honor the alliance lounge rules (with some weird carve-outs), but my bet is that AA/AS have thought about this when they figured out how AS will join oneworld.
The UA *G carveout is almost exactly the same as the AA Sapphire/Emerald carveout except for the extra oddity of non-UA lounges.

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer
They can easily add another exception for AS on N.A. itineraries. The wording for AA's exception can restrict pure North American itineraries for AS too, regardless of the operating airline.
Exactly as I said.

Originally Posted by safari ari
Originally Posted by VFR
They don't currently allow it on AS F itineraries. Don't see why it would change going forward.
My guess would be that AS gets an exemption from the oneworld F/J cabin lounge access rule (just like AA does) but continues to allow paid first class passengers access to their own lounges (but not partner lounges) outside of the oneworld agreement, which indeed would in effect be no change going forward. I don't see why oneworld partners would object to AS having the same rule as AA, since that rule is entirely competitive within the North American market (only subtly different than Skyteam and Star Alliance).

Last edited by ashill; Jul 21, 2020 at 10:47 am
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:32 pm
VFR

My guess would be that AS gets an exemption from the oneworld F/J cabin lounge access rule (just like AA does) but continues to all paid first class passengers access to their own lounges (but not partner lounges) outside of the oneworld agreement, which indeed would in effect be no change going forward. I don't see why oneworld partners would object to AS having the same rule as AA, since that rule is entirely competitive within the North American market (only subtly different than Skyteam and Star Alliance).
My guess is that something like that happens. For anyone who wants some in-the-weeds speculation on the intricacies of lounge access and AS F, expand the spoiler.
Spoiler

Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
That's my impression too, though derived mostly from FlyerTalk and thus not an independent datum.

The UA *G carveout is almost exactly the same as the AA Sapphire/Emerald carveout except for the extra oddity of non-UA lounges.

Exactly as I said.

My guess would be that AS gets an exemption from the oneworld F/J cabin lounge access rule (just like AA does) but continues to all paid first class passengers access to their own lounges (but not partner lounges) outside of the oneworld agreement, which indeed would in effect be no change going forward. I don't see why oneworld partners would object to AS having the same rule as AA, since that rule is entirely competitive within the North American market (only subtly different than Skyteam and Star Alliance).
^ This. If AS were to offer mid range lounge access like others (except AA) when traveling domestically there is less value in AA FF Program. The flock that would run to AS for free lounge access would be insane. If there is one thing we learned over the past few months is that AA is relying on the value of the program to get it through these rough times. If that takes a hit, AA's value is gone to be absorbed by AS and B6 (if B6 partnership is approved and somehow willing to join OW).

If you look deeper AA sees the weakness in DL (hence the battles in BOS, SEA, NYC), but the difference is AA is taking much less skin in the game with partners who are well established in the region rather than go it alone. If you notice they are not picking fights with WN or UA right now. DL in the past 3 months saw three major stakes in airlines (IIRC 49% in Virgin, 49% in Aeromexico, 20% in LATAM) billions of dollars of investments go south very quickly. They will lose large portions of those investments to whichever government proceeds with the bankruptcy, cutting the losses even further. Time of repayment is way off, and I would be surprised if DL turns a profit on the 2 Billion dollar investment in LATAM within the next 10 years. Pile that on top of their main non unionized benefit of profit sharing in February (which this year I have a feeling will be 0) could see radical changes in ATL. AA sees this and knows now is the only chance to take back some spaces in major markets before DL gets back on its feat. Just my take.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Official oneworld announcement: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...-join-oneworld

... with a hope of joining oneworld around the end of the year.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.