Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Alaska Airlines is expected join the oneworld Alliance as a full member summer 2021 end of 2020, pending regulatory approval*.
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 25 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
*The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.

link to earning EQM, EQD, EQS and Award Miles flying Alaska Airlines as AS marketed flights. (If flying as AA marketed flight (codeshare), earnings are as if flying AA.) As of April 1, 2020.

Seattle’s first-ever direct flight to BLR will be available for purchase later this month, with daily flights beginning October 2020. Daily service between SEA and LHR will be available for purchase in May 2020 for flights starting March 2021.

link to full release, 13 Feb 2020

Alaska Airlines route map (including Virgin America)

Print Wikipost

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ashill
It's 75k EQMs on AS metal (even codeshares don't normally count; I think it's only AS*/AS, not even partner marketed AS metal), which given that AS has no long haul flights is not that trivial. Upping the AS+partner minimum from 90k to 100k would bring it exactly in line with AA EXP for AS+partner earning. That seems easy, and upping the own metal requirement to 100k EQMs would be a lot for an airline like AS that doesn't have long haul flights.
It’s early. AS could open earning to one world partners, for example. To not do so would be exceptional and unfriendly.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
It’s early. AS could open earning to one world partners, for example. To not do so would be exceptional and unfriendly.
Having different status requirements on an airline's own flights than on alliance partners is not at all exceptional. Many oneworld airlines (including AA until they introduced EQDs) require some number of segments or similar on their own flights to earn status. And AA's own-flight EQM multipliers were double those of all partners, including joint business partners, until fairly recently; the multipliers remain much higher for joint business partners than other oneworld partners (0.5-1.5 on Malaysia, for example, compared to 1.0-3.0 on AA). (Of course, AS has no joint business partners.) And AA didn't seem to mind AS's separate own-metal status option when AA and AS were closer partners just a couple years ago (and for decades before that). So I don't think that Alaska retaining the different qualification thresholds for AS-only flights and AS+oneworld partner flights is at all unreasonable or even unexpected, especially given the much smaller footprint of AS's network compared to most of the alliance.

Of course, a traveler who is flying nearly exclusively on AS won't be taking advantage of benefits on partners that much anyway; with the thresholds only 20-25% higher (I'm suggesting 33% for 75K/oneworld Emerald to bring the AS+partner EQMs in line with AA EXP), the most a pure-AS qualifier could be "mooching" benefits off of oneworld partners is roughly 20-33% of their flights. (I suppose a few people could earn miles as an AS elite, burn them for coach flights on oneworld partners, and then take advantage of oneworld benefits, but that doesn't seem likely to appreciably dilute benefits. And an AS elite burning miles for oneworld premium cabin benefits gets most of the benefits of status based on cabin anyway, so isn't mooching so much there either.)

All that said, I agree that it's early and who knows what AS will do; as has been much speculated in the AS forum, them going revenue based isn't far-fetched. But given their network, I would think AS would want to reward their own customers (especially, for example, their high-fare intra-Alaska customers) in a way that the current, separate AS only and AS+partner thresholds does nicely.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I have to say this was a total shock to me. When I saw the email by AA in my inbox, I thought it was to inform me that AA and AS were going to sever all ties. As that's how it seemed things were heading. But this is definitely not what I was expecting. Although, I did think that AS would become a OW Connect memeber, as they were cutting ties to non-OW carriers these past couple of years. However, coming out of the box as a full member is kind of big surprise. Then there's the really major shock that AA will be starting SEA-India/LHR service....

What a day!!!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
This is interesting. I’m a loyal Delta DM based out of Seattle, but I hold medium status with Alaska on and off too. Alaska’s OneWorld status opens up some interesting earning options — such as Qatar — which night make it worth pursuing both Delta Diamond and AA Executive Platinum next year.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by cova
What is the status match?
EXP and PPro to MXP 75???

What about the huge difference in earning status AA $+mile based and AS mile based.only.
What about it?

None* of the other OW airlines have a minimum spend requirement, why would AS have to have one, just because they’re joining OW and AA has it too? (Hell, BA, IB and QF use tier points/elite points/status credits, an entirely different system.)

Mind you, AS going revenue based wouldn’t be crazy, since that’s the status quo in the US market, but it doesn’t have anything to do with AA.

*Of the ones I’ve flown with.

Last edited by Djokison; Feb 14, 2020 at 4:05 am
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
How long will sea blr last?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
So my questions are:

- when does the earning scheme start
- when will AA FF be able to select MCE equiv seats on AS metal
- how tight will this partnership be? Will AA FF be eligible for CPU?

need to fly from EUG to LAX in Sept ‘20, would consider AS.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
So my questions are:

- when does the earning scheme start
- when will AA FF be able to select MCE equiv seats on AS metal
- how tight will this partnership be? Will AA FF be eligible for CPU?

need to fly from EUG to LAX in Sept ‘20, would consider AS.
That's a 1 hour flight. I wouldn't worry too much about things like upgrades and seating.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
This is really good news, it fills in some major gaps in the US for AA .. and I always liked flying Alaska.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Talking

Originally Posted by billgrates3
from aa.com:

Alaska Airlines

Special notice

Mileage redemption on Alaska Airlines is ending effective February 29, 2020. All award travel must be booked and ticketed by February 29, 2020. Travel is valid for 1 year after ticketing date and must be flown no later than February 28, 2021. Ticket changes will not be allowed after February 29, 2020.

The Right hand has not met the Left hand @ AA HQ.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
With no crew base in Seattle, I wonder where they will crew the flights from?

LAX? DFW?

I think the SFO base is too small to poach from there and opening a new base without knowing just how well the flights will do seems foolish (but it is AA we are talking about).

It'll be a long trip: Day 1: Base to SEA (either working a flight or deadheading); Day 2: SEA to BLR, arriving on Day 3; BLR-SEA most likely on Day 4 or maybe Day 5; SEA to Base on Day 5 or 6.

Going to be worth a LOT of time.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
The Right hand has not met the Left hand @ AA HQ.
Noticed yesterday how quick AS updated their AA partner page to reflect the new changes, as you noted, AA is still updated nothing; even a "! - Note benefits changing, more information will be shared later in the first half of 2020" - or something like that would suffice
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
How long will sea blr last?
I give it one season.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Interestingly after reading through this thread - I didn't think of the LAX angle before - where AA has actually been winning thanks to their transcon contracts with Hollywood (UA really regrets the pullout of JFK I imagine). Just as much as this is a play at Delta in Seattle and shoring up the west coast network (as an AA SFO flyer, this is huge - because I don't need to think twice about AS flights down to SNA, or up to PDX/SEA, or even over to DEN anymore). This is just as much a play at winning LAX - where AA is in the plurality but they've just gained access to AS' west coast feed for their international and cross-country flights and leisure destinations like Cabo, etc. Got to think this will improve the bottom line of some of AA's Asia routes

Regarding BLR lasting one season - maybe. But we've seen AA stick to unusual destinations (leisure like PRG) or cut and run (Bologna) depending on performance. I'd have to think they carefully considered the economics of this route - doesn't seem to be a throwaway route just to have presence (like some of those ORD to Asia routes that lost money for years) and India only works if you have premium demand so they must've have figured there's enough of a direct need from Seattle. Interestingly, I think JonNYC posted the employee note that suggested that this route isn't currently possible from LAX - so some of it has to be feed on the west coast too - from the Bay Area / LA.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
How long down the road before AA just outright buys AS? Next year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.