Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Alaska Airlines is expected join the oneworld Alliance as a full member summer 2021 end of 2020, pending regulatory approval*.
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 25 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
*The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.

link to earning EQM, EQD, EQS and Award Miles flying Alaska Airlines as AS marketed flights. (If flying as AA marketed flight (codeshare), earnings are as if flying AA.) As of April 1, 2020.

Seattle’s first-ever direct flight to BLR will be available for purchase later this month, with daily flights beginning October 2020. Daily service between SEA and LHR will be available for purchase in May 2020 for flights starting March 2021.

link to full release, 13 Feb 2020

Alaska Airlines route map (including Virgin America)

Print Wikipost

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I know that AA has made decisions over the last little while that do not sit well with many here, but the partnership with AS, new business class seats, expanding international presence are all good things. It is nice for some positive steps. I am hopeful that my very first flight on AS will credit to AA in April (nice to hope).

Safe Travels
rvolkcpa, bchandler02 and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by etiene
<redacted quote of a deleted post> Having an empty frame and rotating it in from a hub is wasteful from a fleet planning perspective - that's why RDU is actually a rotation from LHR. It means that the widebody is always running widebody routes, rather than offering a rotation into RDU on a 787/772 that could be fulfilled by a 737/A320. So are they serving SEA as a "mini-hub" and sending the frame in, or is it merely a waypoint for a frame doing a long run that includes LHR...? .
Interesting. Short of dedicating 2 frames fully to the route, which I think would potentially be more wasteful, they would have to rotate it on domestic runs either from LAX, DFW, or ORD, since the LHR route will be operated by a 772.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 13, 2020 at 5:45 pm Reason: redacted quote of a deleted post
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Huge boost for us in PDX which has so limited AA flights.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
We shouldn't get too exciting about the news.
Its most likely that AA takes over the second (almost) daily flight LHR-SEA from BA. Three oneworld flights SEA-LHR would have been an overkill.
So no increase in real seat capacity! However, pax will have a joice of a better J hard product and better lounges at LHR (T3 lounges are way better and less crowded than their T5 counterparts).

AA has a JVA with BA -> hence, even the slot may even come from BA.

<off-topic>
I Actually think they will do well with 3 flights from SEA to LHR. Currenty west coast have to go to DFW, LAX or ORD to connect to fly out. I think they will take all the AA fliers from SFO north and salt lake west to fly out of SEA.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 13, 2020 at 5:48 pm
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:43 pm

I'm wondering how this will affect the Alaska MVP program with the highest level of MVP75 Gold. Would that qualify as Emerald? or could you earn MVP75 Gold by traveling just on codeshare flights. That is a much shorter distance to elite than 100k/$15k spend.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It would be ironic if premium cabin awards on AA metal becomes more available through AS redemptions than through AA redemptions.

Well finding J saver award availability on AA metal can't get any worse than it is now.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Will the BLR route be a 789 or something else?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Most likely. Other option would be the 772 (inefficient) and the 77W (too big)
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by bongo4
Will this be the only current BLR nonstop from the USA? Have there been other BLR/USA nonstops in the past?
First ever nonstop from USA. I never got a chance to get on the ORD DEL flight.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by bongo4
Will this be the only current BLR nonstop from the USA? Have there been other BLR/USA nonstops in the past?
Kingfisher announced an SFO-BLR nonstop back in 2008 that never came to fruition (Kingfisher to introduce BLR-SFO nonstop flight). Prior to 2001 (at the old HAL airport) there was no non-stop service from BLR to the West at all. It started with LH, then BA/AF. The ME3 came a few years later (revolutionizing the journey) and now the US is finally getting service. We've come pretty far in 20 years.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by lds89
I'd assume Amazon and Microsoft together could probably fill that flight especially in premium cabins the way Apple does UA's SFO-PVG. Got to be heavy O&D
Boeing too. I wonder about how empty the economy cabin will be on that flight with the big tech giants paying for international J of flights that length.

This is interesting as a SEA flyer who is currently Skyteam.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by enviroian
BOS was the latest LHR flight added. Great to see SEA added too.
Interesting to see AA go after DL in BOS and now SEA; I guess AA sees missed rev at both. I’m sure the c-suite at UA is elated to see this rivalry on both coasts now.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Bloggers have already said it will be a 789 and LHR will be 772
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I’m sure the c-suite at UA is elated to see this rivalry on both coasts now.
Doubtful. It doesn't do UA any good if AA takes business from DL. But I'm pretty sure UA is not at all happy to see AA and AS link up at SFO and LAX. Especially SFO.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
In the email it says:

Effective immediately:
Redeem Alaska Mileage Plan™ miles on all American Airlines flights.

so my question is... does this allow for combining? That is, 10k Alaska Air miles + 15k AA (for example)?
Doubful, as you can't combine AA and any other Airline's miles for a reward
FWIW, I have an AS award on AA next week from DFW-MIA.......I thought I wasn't going to fly AS any more......
The odd part of this is the AA site shows the checkbox for 500 mile AA upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.