Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Alaska Airlines is expected join the oneworld Alliance as a full member summer 2021 end of 2020, pending regulatory approval*.
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 25 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
*The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.

link to earning EQM, EQD, EQS and Award Miles flying Alaska Airlines as AS marketed flights. (If flying as AA marketed flight (codeshare), earnings are as if flying AA.) As of April 1, 2020.

Seattle’s first-ever direct flight to BLR will be available for purchase later this month, with daily flights beginning October 2020. Daily service between SEA and LHR will be available for purchase in May 2020 for flights starting March 2021.

link to full release, 13 Feb 2020

Alaska Airlines route map (including Virgin America)

Print Wikipost

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
You will be able to travel to BLR in one stop to BLR through SEA from the East Coast.

There are no non-stops from the East Coast to BLR.

How is this useless to the East Coast?
If "east coast" means IAD or JFK then would you rather a domestic F seat on AA/AS to SEA as your one stop or fly via DXB (EK), DOH (QR) or LHR (BA)? I know my answer.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ryan182
If "east coast" means IAD or JFK then would you rather a domestic F seat on AA/AS to SEA as your one stop or fly via DXB (EK), DOH (QR) or LHR (BA)? I know my answer.
​​​​​​100% chance I'm taking QR out of PHL to India instead of being stuffed in AA coach with no entertainment and no food for almost six hours to SEA.
enviroian, DMPHL, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Antarius
That's a 1 hour flight. I wouldn't worry too much about things like upgrades and seating.
I thought EUG-LAX was more like 2.5h?
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Gary Leff makes a good point about AS and status matches offered to AA Elites, given one world airlines generally refrain from “poaching” each other’s elites through status matching.

Meanwhile it wouldn’t surprise me to see Alaska no longer willing to status matchAmerican Airlines elite members so if you want to match to Alaska you may need to do it soon. Many people wait until late in the year for an Alaska match, to get the full following year of status, but in this case American elites may become foreclosed from doing so. — link

(As well, he believes AS Elites are likely to be subject to similar lounge “carve outs” as AA’s Elites who aren’t paid Lounge scheme members:

American Airlines Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligble for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S, Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Carribean.
But that discussion properly belongs in the Alaska Airlines forum, not here.)
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bridge29
​​​​​​100% chance I'm taking QR out of PHL to India instead of being stuffed in AA coach with no entertainment and no food for almost six hours to SEA.
Again, for many leisure travelers in Y, if the price is attractive, that won't matter TOO much. But I'm with you. Not to mention the fact that even if all things were equal, a 12-hour PHL-DOH, a two hour layover, and then a 4-hour DOH-BLR flight is MUCH better than a 6-hour transcon, layover, and 16-hour SEA-BLR flight.

For those of the West Coast, going Transpac, especially non-stop from a West Coast gateway, might be much easier time-wise.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Again, for many leisure travelers in Y, if the price is attractive, that won't matter TOO much. But I'm with you. Not to mention the fact that even if all things were equal, a 12-hour PHL-DOH, a two hour layover, and then a 4-hour DOH-BLR flight is MUCH better than a 6-hour transcon, layover, and 16-hour SEA-BLR flight.

For those of the West Coast, going Transpac, especially non-stop from a West Coast gateway, might be much easier time-wise.
OTOH, throw in upgrades and the EQ possibilities... and some will buy it.
GTITAN and DMPHL like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Gary Leff makes a good point about AS and status matches offered to AA Elites, given one world airlines generally refrain from “poaching” each other’s elites through status matching.

(As well, he believes AS Elites are likely to be subject to similar lounge “carve outs” as AA’s Elites who aren’t paid Lounge scheme members:

But that discussion properly belongs in the Alaska Airlines forum, not here.)
Fly American. Credit to British Airways. Earn Silver status. Use AA Flagship Lounges.
aaupgrade and teemuflyer like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ryan182
Originally Posted by JDiver
OTOH, throw in upgrades and the EQ possibilities... and some will buy it.
Yeah, good luck having QR or EK process a Y->J SWU for an AA EXP. The question is then “do you want to do it all flying in coach or have the majority of it in business”?
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, good luck having QR or EK process a Y->J SWU for an AA EXP. The question is then “do you want to do it all flying in coach or have the majority of it in business”?
Bingo. AA may not be the best, but J >>>>>>> Y
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Wonder this comes about in time for March 2020 trips so I can at least select some seats in the AS premium class seating (MCE equivalent)...
Would be nice.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Wonder this comes about in time for March 2020 trips so I can at least select some seats in the AS premium class seating (MCE equivalent)...
Would be nice.
I believe no. That's an OW benefit that would kick in in Summer 2021.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Well, yes, it may (or may not — upgrades, which is what AS classifies the Y to Premium change as, are not a oneworld benefit, though AA has chosen to make MCE available to oneworld elites) be made available on the basis of oneworld status, but AS and AA can always recognize benefits for each other outside of oneworld, as they did until a couple years ago.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Would be nice.
MCE seating is not a OW benefit. Maybe a benefit AA gives to some with mid-top OW status, but not a OW benefit.
MCE (economy plus) type seating is not common on OW airlines. QF for example will charge $$ for exit row.
Note premium economy PE is a separate class and not MCE
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 16, 2020 at 6:35 pm
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
This is a really good point. Having done the ORD-DEL flight a few times when it was active (and then connecting to HYD), the long flight wears on you.
Option 1 at the time was OKC/ORD/DEL/HYD.
Option 2 at the time was OKC/xxx/LHR/HYD

I had switched to option 2 to break up the trip, as well as avoid what at the time was a not pleasant connection in DEL prior to the new airport terminals. In Y, ORD/DEL was unbearable. In J, it was tolerable but not great, however this was with the old angle flat seats. The new J seats on 789's would be much better.

Now, my choice would be OKC/SEA/BLR (and sometimes to HYD, although I'd probably spend more time in BLR these days) - but it may still be worth it to do OKC/xxx/LHR/BLR just to break up the trip into shorter segments.
It will be interesting to see if the majority prefers a extremely long flight with less connections.
Oh man - I also took the ORD-DEL flight far more than I'd care to admit, also in Y. Pretty sure the IFE wasn't even fully on-demand for awhile! The movies played on continuous loops, starting every 20 minutes or something. Crazy to think about. I cannot fathom being stuck in the "dreaded middle seat" on that flight. At least AA catered pretty decent Indian food for meals even in Y, so there's that.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
MCE seating is not a OW benefit. Maybe a benefit AA gives to some with mid-top OW status, but not a OW benefit.
MCE (economy plus) type seating is not common on OW airlines. Note PE is a separate class and not MCE
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits
All OW elites have access to MCE(ruby T-24) so I would consider it an OW benefit.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...abin-extra.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.